[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Fernando in addition to my above comment, I compared the modified and original Bios and I had found the only difference. See below image.

Error Capture.JPG

What should I do to correct this discrepancy?
Link to original dumped SPI → https://www48.zippyshare.com/v/4DIZwogc/file.html

@ Fernando and all others
A quick update I was able to successfully flash the modded bios for the ASUS P8Z77VLK 1402 original bios to the nvme using your procedure on page 1 and then flashing the mod bios using this procedure:

1. after adding the nvme mod to original file extract rom using uefitool and call it extracted.rom
  2. download AFUWINx64 package and place in a folder both AFUWINx64.exe and amifldrv64.sys
    Copy the extracted.rom file to the same folder as AFUWINx64.exe
    rename original cap bios to bios.cap and place in above folder
    copy a cmd.exe file from C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe and place in above folder
    thus this folder will have 5 items
  3. First reflash the original UEFI bios under windows 10 and then flash modded bios also under windows 10
  4. right click cmd file and run as admin and run these commands one after the other just copy and paste
  5. flash original bios
    afuwinx64.exe bios.CAP
  6. then
    Flash the Modified UEFI
    afuwinx64.exe extracted.rom /GAN
    UEFI bios should now be fully re-flashed and updated
  7. Reboot
Thanks to all for hard work

EDIT by Fernando: To save space (the specific BIOS flashing procedure is not the topic of this thread) and for better readability I have removed the unneeded fully quoted post, put the BIOS flashing details into a “spoiler” and formatted its content.

@thorne :

Try to insert the module by using the AMI Aptio MMTool v4.50. If you should get the "not enough space" message, try to insert the "small" NVMe module.

Thanks @Fernando will follow your advise…:slight_smile:

@thorne :

The link doesn’t work. I get the "403 Forbidden" HTTP error message.

Hi @Fernando it’s working. I just checked it now.

@thorne

Tried ur dump, with both tools UEFItool 0.25/AMIBCP4.50, it creates a new pad-file in bios structure, after the module insertion.
But it seems that the UEFItool 0.28 does not create any Pad, so its ur best shot, at ur own risk.
Only space for small DXE module.

EDIT: Ill repeat again… the insertion of the small DXE module with the UEFITool 0.28 did NOT made any extra PAD FILE.

Ur saying u got it right with MMTool, share ur MOD for confirmation then, if u want.

EDIT 14/07: Glad that u manage ur own solution, still if u want my version of the small DXE with UEFItool 0.28, here it is.

Hi MeatWar, I already tried and used UEFItool 0.28 and it created a Pad File on my system as well.

But when I used MMTool v4 as per advised by Fernando, it did no create the Pad file. I’m just waiting for some confirmation before I use it as I do not want to brick my system.

Thanks for the advise.

This is what I get in Germany:

403 Forbidden.png

There are restrictions regarding ZippyShare files in some countries (like Germany).

Hi @MeatWar and @Fernando Thanks for taking time to answer my query.

Below is the Wetransfer link for my Modded Files and Softwares used.
https://we.tl/t-5bYie8DXxy

I did two tests each for UEFITool 0.28 and MMTool Aptio 4.50.0023
- First test is using the Larger NVME ffs and removing udp6dxe
- Second test is inserting only the smaller NVME ffs

I verified all the modded file using UEFITool 0.28. Strange that ONLY the ‘Mod by MMTool Aptio 4.50.0023 using Large NVME removing udp6dxe’ have NO PAD FILE.
The remaining mods have PAD-FILE in it.

The below image shows two files Modded using MMTool Aptio 4.50.0023. But using different NVME ffs yields different results.

Pad File Capture.JPG

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded quoted posts and blank lines removed (to save space)

@thorne : Since I could not download the original BIOS, I cannot verify your results.

@thorne

Ive downloaded ur attached MOD files, only the first one in the folder “Mod by MMTool Aptio 4.50.0023 using Large NVME removing udp6dxe - NO PAD FILE”, seems to be OK in correct inserted volume position and no PAD file.
If u want my mod file, its attached now in my previous edited post, as i said before made with UEFItool 0.28, no modules removed, only added the small DXE. Good luck.

EDIT: AS always, any provided files, its user OWN risk in its use and no responsibility on any damage/failures to the system.

@MeatWar I downloaded your file now. It’s better to use your file since you have more experience in Bios modding unlike me who started just 4 days ago…:slight_smile:

Will try flashing the PC tonight or tomorrow and provide update afterwards.

Thanks…

Hi. First user here, newbie in bios modding. First of all, I want to thank you guys for this tutorial. I found it while searching for a solution to boot an NVME SSD with an PCI-E adapter on an old ASUS H81M-C/BR motherboard without support.

My doubt is: I followed the tutorial until I had to save the BIOS file back to the .CAP format and the FD44Editor is not saving the file. I managed to make the .rom with the nvme module and my motherboard does not have the ASUS Flashback support, instead it uses EZFlash2. May I use the .ROM BIOS file instead? I’m not sure, since the original BIOS file for this motherboard from the ASUS website is in .CAP.

Thanks once again.

U have a valid backup of ur current bios system? FD44Editor can check a dump with the original data of the motherboard (UUID, SN Etc…) If not i advise u to.

Since ur not familiar with bios mods, i do warn u that theres always the risk of breaking the system, and if the system doesn’t boot anymore u do need to recover with a CH341A SPI Programmer.
Pay attention to all RED TEXT warnings in guides.

U dont need FD44Editor for this, u need to mod ur dump or stock CAP with MMtool as the guide points.
The flash of mod files has security issues within Asus features so, dont rush and go read the all post guidance regarding
the use of MMTool to insert the module and the flashing of a mod file, as u know u do not have USB Bios flash back to recover.

BACKUP, MOD, FLASH MOD.

[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

Ok, I think I followed all of the steps correctly. But I ordered a CH341A SPI Programmer and I will try to update the mod bios after the programmer arrives here. Just in case.

Again, many thanks.

My motherboard is model 1150 ASUS MAXIMUS VI EXTREME Z87. I made the bios mod file as you said. but when i put the file to flash It shows a notification saying "Security verification failed." How do I fix it?
Now bios is version 1603 and i tried to change to version 1505 and update to bios mod still not working.

@shikoku123 : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum.
This is the thread about how to get full NVMe support. If you want to know how to flash a modded BIOS into an ASUS mainboard chip, you should look into the start post of >this< thread.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Success using Fernando guide to insert module and doing the Afuwin64 gui of the original first, then the flash of the mod right after. Was able to bypass the Asus Ez Flash Security validation problem.
Aus P8H61-M Le/csm r2 1414?

using M.2 NVME to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter and wd nvme drive.