[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Connecting a 2.1GB/s PCI-E Gen 3 nvme ssd in a PCI-E Gen 2 is also not the best/optimized performance but here we are.
I cloned my Sata SSD, which was GPT of course, and it didn’t work. I find it really weird that the drive wouldn’t let me enter the bios.
I even disabled all sata ports in Bios , disconnected my 2 hard drives and ssd, and nothing worked. Something messed up my nvme when i cloned the operative system.

If you can’t enter bios it’s not the boot configuration of the harddisk, that’s still bios. Bad mod? Bad flash?

Fernando posted a print of the same bios modded by him. I did the exact same thing he did, bios flashed correctly and the ssd even appeared as PATA before cloning.

@rodryguezzz : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Can you enter the BIOS after having removed the NVMe SSD?
Have you ever tried to simply follow my guide regarding the OS installation (point 4 of the "This is what you should do:" section)?
After having done both tests we know for sure, whether your problem is caused by a BIOS modding or a hardware (faulty SSD/adapter) issue.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks.
Yes i can enter the BIOS after removing the nvme ssd. To get my nvme ssd working again i had to reflash the original bios, reinsert the ssd, format it and now i’m using it as additional storage.
No, i didn’t install the OS because i don’t want to install all my programs and do all the configs again. I’d rather keep using my Sata SSD as system drive. The nvme SSD was being recognized as PATA on bios before i did the cloning so that’s probably where stuff went wrong.

That is your decision, but you should keep in mind, that you abdicate this way the chance to get rid of all the rubbish, which had been accumulated within your system drive during the past months/years.
By the way - a clean OS install inclusive the recovery of all programs/tools and the re-configuration of the complete system takes me not more than 1 hour.
Out of curiosity: Please attach your modded and the original BIOS.

If i were to do a clean install of the OS, i’d rather install Windows 11 to use new new cool features, but then again Windows 10 is still better because it’s actually finished, unlike Windows 11 which is more of a beta…
I’ve attached both BIOS files.

EDIT: I can’t upload them for some reason. Here’s a link.

@rodryguezzz When I look into your bios I’d tend to use NvmExpressDxe_Small. Reason is that the start of the UI- section seems to get moved (though UEFIToolNE addresses in compressed volumes aren’t absolut)

A quick search gives me 2 links, first one Fernando used MMTool028 for inserting the larger module, but there never was feedback, the other user reported success with the smaller driver (NvmExpressDxe_Small) but this was a B75 Pro3 (without “M”): [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS (334)

Hello Fernando,

I have exported the following 3 modules from an ASUS Z97 Bios.

Nvme.ffs
NvmeSmm.ffs
NVMEINT13.ffs

I inserted these modules into my Fujitsu AMI Aptio-Bios Bios R1.23 with UEFITool. The Samsung SSD PM 991 - model MZALQ256HAJD-000L2 - firmware AL2QFXV7 SSD is plugged in with an PCIe adapter and was immediately displayed as Samsung MZALQ256HAJD-000L2 in the boot options. WIN10 starts really quickly from the SSD.

Now I wanted to modify a second identical PC in the same way. I flashed the bios and installed the PM991 I had ordered. Now the disappointment was great, the SSD was not recognized. However, this PM991 SSD has a different model name and a different firmware (Samsung PM 991 - model MZVLQ256HAJD-000H1 - firmware HPS2NFXV) This model is not recognized in any PC with modified bios. What is the difference between the two SSD models, especially since both are offered with the designation PM991.

The SSD is ok. Was tested by me in another PC. Can you help me solve the problem

@explorer : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You should better ask the person, who gave you the advice to insert 3 NVMe modules, which were previously extracted from the BIOS of another mainboard model. This method doesn’t work with all systems and is absolutely outdated since several years.
By the way - the BIOS modules named NvmeSmm and NVMEINT13 can only be used by mainboards with native NVMe support.
Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Fernando,
Thanks for the quick reply. I just don’t understand that one model of the PM991 works great and the other doesn’t.
How do the SSD models differ?

@explorer :
A properly inserted NVMe BIOS module should work with all currently available NVMe SSDs - no matter which manufacturer and which model.

@Fernando Hello, I followed your guide and managed to boot from my nvme. Today, all of a sudden, my BIOS says it cant a bootable device. I have checked all the BIOS settings and they were unaffected, I even checked whether something is wrong with the adapter or ssd and everything seems fine. I could also see my partitions and free space when i tried to diagnose with a system bootable usb. What can be the problem?

Maybe one is defective "DOA"?

Oh so that’s where the whole thing went wrong. Yes, I followed this post by Fernando and thought the bigger module would work fine. Now i modded the BIOS using the small dxe and it works even with cloning. Here’s how i did:

Modified my BIOS using the DXE small ffs.
Nvme ssd is once again recognized as PATA and computer boots normally.
Cloned my sata ssd to the nvme ssd and now i can enter the bios and boot to windows normally.
Disconnected the sata ssd, tried to boot cloned windows off the nvme ssd but got a BSOD inaccessible_boot_device every time.
Tried the windows startup repair tool, which did nothing.
Started windows in safe mode and… it booted normally.
Rebooted my pc and everything works perfectly.

@onuracengiz Can you please provide the file again?

@dirtrider

No need the mod again… the mod worked or not and seems that worked before, did u messed with OS installation, tweaks, 3rd party utilities…

Since your bios only can see the Windows booloader (not the NVMe disk itself) you’ll get a bios message when the UEFI firmware can’t see any bootloader. => Fix your Windows configuration…
Windows is quite happy in rewriting BCD, so it’s more probable that a change happened there than a spontaneous bios modification. That’s not impossible, but very rare. To be sure try to backup your bios and compare it to the modded one you created erarlier…

Fixing Windows boot configuration is a pain … But it’s possible- good luck

(Usually it’s a sequence of ‘automatic repair- cant fix it’, fixboot /rebuildbcd (some error- finds windows, but can’t help, or can’t find windows and can’t help) and bcdboot c:\windows (can’t find …)- the last error canget fixed by assigning a driveletter (for example t:) to the EFI partition (diskpart) and giving it as target- bcdboot c:\windows /s t: (assigned driveletter)

@rodryguezzz Good work (Reason that I looked closer was your report, just looking at the structur, the mod with the larger module looks just fine.)

Merry Christmas to you all

could you plz detail the last step ?
thanks a lot

Who? Which step?