[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Supermicro X8DTL-i works without any problems using a PCI-E -> M.2 adapter, boots just fine even. The drive doesn’t have any name but one only needs to choose the only alternative in the boot menu that has no name and it works flawlessly :smiley:
Not bad for a decade year old board!

Hello.
Tell me, is it possible to modify Award BIOS on Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 ?

@Maximus_Panin : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
It is possible to modify your mainboard BIOS, but not regarding the option to get full NVMe support (being able to boot off all NVMe SSDs).
Reason: Your Intel 5-Series Chipset mainboard doesn’t have an AMI UEFI BIOS.
Please look >here< or >here< for alternative methods.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Oh, thanks for your prompt reply. I read, not sure if the alternative will work. I read that not everyone succeeded. It’s a pity of course. Tell me, can I do it differently: buy PCI-E to SATA3 board + SSD disk ? Since my motherboard only has SATA2, would this be a speed gain ?

wont be that much, probably your sata ssd wont pass or barely hitting the max speed of sata 3, unless you have a really really good one, or if you raid it on raid 0, it would be possible, but depends on the motherboard. go with the one fernando suggested if you want to use nvme, and you might interested in >this<

I have a MSI Z77-GD65
got the newest BIOS from the MSI website and followed your guide.
The NvmE module got inserted perfectly, but a PAD file vanished.
I noticed that and did not flash, of course.

UEFI tool version 0.28.0
BIOS 7751vAB E7751IIMS.AB0

so close still yet so far. what is recommended to solve the problem?

Many thanks in advance

Screenshot (1).png

Use MMtool method or UEFItool 0.25, but always check pads on/off

Hello,
I have a Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5
I successfully flashed F13w with a modded bios I found on this forum and installed windows 11 on a Sabrent 1TB NVMe with cheap PCIe adapter and boot correctly.

h tt ps:// i.postimg.cc/T2L2Svzy/sabrent.jpg

Thank You very much :slight_smile:

Hello, I have a ASRock Z77 Pro3, tried to insert the normal nvme dxe using MMTool 4.50.0.23 and it tells me "file size exceeds the volume size".
I tried then the same with the UEFITool 0.28.0 and there was no error and i compared the files and there everything looks okay no pad changes, so now I am confused is this BIOS ok to flash, or should i insert the small dxe?

Here is the original and my modded bios with inserted NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs using UEFITool, that im not sure if its ok to flash:
dropbox.com/sh/as6kk9cc7pxl2rm/AABMxTpaDQ98BYQcgNNCojTQa?dl=0

@jansun : Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
If you are unsure, whether the UEFITool modded BIOS is safe enough for your mainboard (although no Pad-files were added, removed or moved), why haven’t you tried to insert the “small” variant of the NVMe module?
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando I can insert the small one without error using MMTool, but was wondering if I can use the normal module (is it any better?), I was also wondering why one tool would say the size exceeds while other seems to insert without problem…

might be something to do with the pad files. using uefitool sometimes remove pad-files that are naturally available in the bios due to “repairing structure” like the post explaings, but MMTool doesn’t touch that pad-files.

@jansun
1. All BIOS modding tools work a different way.
2. Regarding the functionality there is no difference between the "small" and normal NBMe module.
3. If the UEFITool is able to get the NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs properly inserted without touching or creating any Pad-file, you can flash its modded BIOS without any additional risk.

I went ahead and flashed with the small version inserted (didnt want to risk it), here is the result running with adapter on PCIe Gen2 imgur.com/a/Ueh0Qv4
Thanks for the tutorial!

Hi, I have a Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 v1.0

The newest BIOS file can be found here.
I upload it.

Z68AD3H.rar (2.8 MB)

I use "NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs".
The module got inserted perfectly by MMTool 4.50.0.23, but when use the UEFITool to verify, I found a PAD file vanished.

The left picture shows the original, the right is after changed.

original.jpg

modify.jpg

I noticed that and did not flash.

MMTool version 4.50.0.23
UEFI tool version 0.28.0

How to solve the problem? Thank you very much.

UEFItool 0.25/0.28 method not MMtool

If yours have dual bios, you could try to flash it, and shouldnt be worry, because you could force kick in backup bios with press and hold power and reset at the same time for 11 seconds, then power on pc as usual.

This is not a recommendation but my B75M HD3 also lose its Pad-file in the end using UEFITool 0.28.0, but managed to flash it, and no problem at all.

ASUS motherboard A88XM-PLUS. I followed your BIOS update instructions, modified and re-flashed the BIOS. Installed a WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD. I cloned my HD to the SSD and rebooted. SSD is visible as a boot device (“PATA: SS”) but selecting as the boot device doesn’t work - Blank screen for some seconds then back to the BIOS. Can you recommend any next steps?

Yes, backup the data and perform a brand new OS install.
Point#4 of this thread guide has instructions for it.
Users shouldn’t prefer old junk from old OS to a clean performance installation OS
NVMe UEFI uses GPT partition table, MBR partition/disk wont work… for trying successful cloning search this thread who had it done, some cases really cant be done.

Windows installer refuses to install on the SSD. Says hardware may not permit booting. So I may just be out of luck. I’ll take a look at point #4. Thanks for your advice.