[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@macmatt43
There are 3 different sorts of M.2 slots available for Storage Devices:
Sort 1: Supports only NVMe (“M Key”)
Sort 2: Supports only SATA AHCI (“B Key”)
Sort 3: Supports both data transfer protocols (“M+B Key”)

For details look >here<.
Anyway your problem has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, because the original BIOS of your laptop supports booting off an NVMe SSD. Your problem is, that the M.2 slot of your laptop obviously doesn’t support NVMe at all.

Thank you - although the bit about keys confused me again.

The M2 slot in my NP900X3L is a Key M slot. It physically accepts Key M NVMe SSDs, like the Samsung 980 Pro (see photo).

It obviously also accepts Key M+B SATA SSDs like the WD SA510. However, the SATA SSD works, the NVMe SSD does not.

So that was initially the reason I posted in this thread based on the “if it fits, it should work” logic of Key M / NVMe. I was probably wrong, still.

Unfortunately some times OEMs do their marketing strategies like this and block some models. Usually no mod can redo the internal motherboard HW design and bus connections.
Dont want to take down your hopes with this but…

1 Like

Thanks for the help - and I think you are right.

Just one last question so I walk away at least having learned something:

How were you (or @Fernando) able to tell from the information I gave you (Key M, SATA works etc.), that modding the BIOS would not work and it’s a hardware deficit? I.e. what is the obvious difference to a “usual” scenario where modding the BIOS is suitable to make NVMe work?

Thanks again - this is a great thread!

We can help to make an NVMe SSD being bootable by a simple BIOS modification (here: addition of a missing module), but only the mainboard manufacturer can set the required data transfer connections (here: to the CPU and not to the on-board SATA AHCI Controller).

1 Like

Ihave Free large file hosting. Send big files the easy way! FS RX100 S8

can someone modify my bios and insert nvme support when I try from mmtool I get the message error getting firmware imformation

I have successfully modified for FS RX300 S8 and GA-H61M-S2PV but with this FS RX100 S8 wont…

FS = Fujitsu Siemens

@Fresko
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

Which error message did you get? Have you entered the correct Vol. Index of the BIOS’s DXE Volume (here: 07:06-00)?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

1 Like

yes tried at 07:06-00 CSMCORE, so I modified the other two motherboards and it works, on this bios it won’t

please help

Try a dump with Intel FPT tool and try to mod only the extracted bios region ONLY, not the whole firmware.
Of course it should be possible only if bios region is not lock to write it again.

EDIT: I dont see anything that can shows info or Intel CS SPS version/tools used. I only see a response from the tool by incorrect user input
What chipset is the server board/Intel FW…
An FTP64…but…do you of know the use of this tools…

Do this motherboard have service jumpers? PSW, RST, ME_DIS/OVR etc…???
Dont know if you have previous experience with server boards or is this just a hobby/gift…

AMI tools seems to reproduce your previous error…so you may want to try UEFI tool method but this will increase much more the risk factor… i would not take my chance with such HW…but its a user choice, good luck.

1 Like

thanks for trying to help but it doesn’t work! I found fpt64 for the shell environment on the net, but I can’t figure it out. The other day, I took it from the motherboard (bios dump) with the help of ami afudos and that dump is identical to the one I already posted, which I asked someone to mod for me, but it doesn’t work for me with this tool.

so the request remains, if there is some kind soul who knows how to mod the existing file I left here, I would be very grateful!

@MeatWar “ Dont know if you have previous experience with server boards or is this just a hobby/gift…”

I have experience with servers, this particular one is from the company where I work, the other day I modded the RX300 S8 and it went quite smoothly, I’m honestly not an expert in bios modding so far, but a person learns while he’s alive! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

And it worked with the help of uefitool 0.25.0 from UBU tools, today I will post a modded bios if someone needs it!

1 Like

[Flashing modded BIOS, on Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8 with support for NVME - YouTube
Today I also modded the BIOS on one FS Primergy TX150 S8, today I recorded the complete flashing procedure, I also recorded how the computer boots Win11 from the NVME disk!, I won’t be able to get there today, I’ll probably upload all the bios I modified tomorrow, maybe someone will need them!

Yesterday i took a look at the system board info of a RX100 S8 …not G8
Now a TX150 S8…really dont understand, are we talking of the same machine or indeed another one. Anyway, congrats and enjoy it.

1 Like

Sorry, my mistake is S8 not G8 Servers, it was a typo. In the company where I work, we have several of those relatively old servers! 1 FS RX100 S8 (I had problems editing the bios with it) 1 FS TX150 S8, 2 FS RX300 S8, four servers in total!

Forgive me if I sound confused

Edit:
As promised here is the link with the bios I have successfully modded so far.
Moded Bios

1 Like

Hi
Some good man will send a modified tested bios to H81M-P33 1.0, preferably mod on version E7817IMS.1A0 or E7817IMS.190…? There is not much about this mobo on the forum…

regards
SW

The “good man” can be you, follow the guide as many MANY users already done it, themselves, thats the purpose of the present guide here and the dedication of the author.
Good luck.

EDIT: The guide is for FULL reading, your problem is documented, if you read it correctly by now you would know this…in this case a WARNING is documented in the UEFI tool method section.
The mod can be done with UEFI tool (0.25/0.28) or AMI MMtool.

hi
Okey :slight_smile: I did but something is not right, can someone check it.

thx
regards
SW

ps. I think I managed it in MMTool 4.50.0.23

Still needs to verify both files (for Pads) with UEFI tool, the original and the mod.

EDIT: Seems ok now, use bios feature M-Flash, do not flash in Windows.

Hi
I showed the original on the right, and the mod on the left, and what is marked does not match is the only difference. Made by MMTool 4.50.0.23 is everything as in the original.

With the naked eye you can see that it is ok, I think so xD

EDIT: Seems ok now, use bios feature M-Flash, do not flash in Windows.

ps. ok thx

A post was split to a new topic: Question about M.2 > PCIe NVMe Adapter