[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

A post was split to a new topic: [Request] ASUS Z170 DeLuxe BIOS for >32GB RAM

A post was split to a new topic: [Offer] Kontron KTQ67-KTQ77 BIOS with NVMe Support

Iā€™m having trouble getting my Samsung 990 Pro to serve as the boot drive on my Asus Maximus V Extreme. The board sees the drive based on the bios mod, but for some reason I canā€™t get it to boot from it. Did I need both the NvmExpressDxe_5 and the Samsung_M2_DXE lines in the bios? The CSMCORE and both NvmExpressDXE and Samsung_M2_DXE are reflecting they are VOL 02. Iā€™ve tried using Samsung Magician and Acronis True Image to clone my current Samsung 870 QVO SSD, but still not able to get the NVME to serve as the boot driveā€¦and yesā€¦I unplugged the 870. Is there some step Iā€™m missing here?

@Iron_MAJ
Since the Samsung 990 Pro is an NVMe SSD and not a SATA AHCI one, it wouldnā€™t make any sense to insert the Samsung_M2_DXE module.

As long as the EFI Boot Sector named ā€œWindows Boot Managerā€ hasnā€™t been created as a separate partition, the SSD is not shown within the BIOS as being bootable.
Please follow ā€œStep 4ā€ of my Guide to get it done.
Good luck!

Thanks @Fernando. Took some effort, but I was able to get it to work with a clean install. I had to use a third party software to transfer my files and apps. but itā€™s up and running. I did notice Samsung Magician showing the NVME drive as ā€œlockedā€, but after a few restartsā€¦all good now.

1 Like

Mmmh, I fell into the category of those people to whom the Pad-file was removed by the uefitool during the save operation. What do I do about it? I was patching latest BIOS file for the MSI B43-G85 motherboard.

Did the guide only mentioned UEFI tool methodā€¦ look again.

As stated in the title of the thread this is a guide for AMI UEFI/LEGACY BIOS. What about other brands, such as HP?

AMI is a bios developer that provides bios platform programming for system manufacturers, not an OEM system brand like HP, Lenovo, Acer etcā€¦
The guide is related to AMI UEFI Aptio Core based bios systems, not Phoenix, InsydeH2O or old legacy AMI8, AWARD6/Phoenix.

EDIT: No need to apologiseā€¦ because you simply didnt understood anything of what i wroteā€¦
So AGAINā€¦ HP is a OEM system brand, AMI is bios brand/type.
We dont know your HP model so you dont know your bios typeā€¦
There are no specific mods for HP/Lenovo etcā€¦ the guide is specific for AMI bios typesā€¦
Let me know what part your having difficulties to understandā€¦

Ok, thanks. Are there any guides to modify(nvme) HP bios?
My appolgies, if this is wrong thread!

HP EliteBook 840 G2
BIOS version M71_1.31

I figured out the reason for the misunderstanding: I wrote the first question a bit wrong. I perfectly understand the difference between AMI BIOS and OEM (creates its own hardware and software). I didnā€™t mean to imply that AMI is a hardware manufacturer brand, I was wondering if there is a thread on this forum where I could ask for help with modifying the BIOS specifically for HP brand products?
Specifically HP EliteBook 840 G2ā€¦
I have already apologized for writing in the wrong thread

You seemed to me rudeā€¦

8 posts were split to a new topic: [Request] NVMe Support for GA-EX58 UD3R

Why would one use the larger NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs (20.3 KB) if thereā€™s full support in the NvmExpressDxe_Small.ffs (5.88 KB)?

Inquiring mindsā€¦

@hafizullah Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!
We donā€™t offer anymore the v4 variant of the NVMe EFI module.
By the way - you can choose the module of your choice.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

1 Like

Iā€™m already running the v4 variant, and it seems to be working perfectly. I was just wondering what the differences might be between the larger and smaller code modules.

@hafizullah
Please read the related part of the start post. Your question has been fully answered there.

A post was merged into an existing topic: I am looking for help Mod for ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution

7 posts were split to a new topic: NVMe Problems with AOC-SLG3-2M2 Card

I already read it. The narrative does not answer my question, so Iā€™ll say it a different way: Is there any advantage, aside from a space saving, to running the Small driver over the larger one?

@hafizullah
No - it is vice versa: If there is enough space within the DXE Driver Volume, it is recommended to insert the ā€œnormalā€ (bigger sized) NVMe module.

1 Like