[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

i try Insertion of the NVMe module but i get file size exceeds the BIOS volume size for both
the bios is this http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/BIO…x-ud3h_f20e.exe can you tell me what am doing wrong ?

okay i read some of the comments here from ppl have same problem i deleted the Satadrive and i did insert the smaller size and now am booting from the pci works great thank you for your help and this guide .

@essam999 :

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and congratulations for having successfully modified your BIOS and now being able to boot off your NVMe SSD!

Enjoy the performance of your NVMe SDD!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Done. See the attached ffs, that worked for me with the Z9PE-D8 WS.

NvmExpressDxe-64.ffs.zip (15 KB)

@celemine1gig :
Thanks for having attached the NvmExpressDxe.ffs file, which had been inserted by you into the BIOS and let you succeed with the project to get the NVMe SSD bootable.

@all:
On the basis of the new NVMe module, which had been recently compiled by the Clover Team and slightly customized by celemine1gig, i have done these additional modifications:
a) replacement of the header (it is now the same as the one of the NVMe module, which I am offering since a very long time within the start post and which brought already many users the desired success),
b) removal of the last obviously unneeded bytes and
c) correction of the checksum-8 to F8.
The related NVMe module, which has been modded by me, is attached.

Meanwhile I have successfully tested the insertion of both modules (the one from celemine1gig and the one I have re-customized) into nthe latest BIOS of my ASUS P8Z68.
Visible difference: The module, which I have modified, is listed as usual at the end of the related Volume number, but without any name. If I have the required time, I will correct this optical deficit with no impact on the module’s function.

It would be great, if you would test the new available NVMe BIOS modules and report about your results.
Thanks in advance!

@Fernando ,

If you have the time can you please detail how you performed the modifications above from step ‘a’ to ‘c’?

Thank you.

for the longest time, i have not been able to get my SM951 to work on a Rampage IV Gene/Extreme (x79)… any ideas ? ive tried like everything here with different modules, drivers, etc

testing the mods and what not on a R4G but hopefully to use it on my main R4E

@landroo888:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Which Samsung SM951 SSD model (AHCI or NVMe) do you have and which OS do you want to install onto it?
If it is the NVMe SSD, just follow exactly my guide, which is within the start post of this thread.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Step a): I simply cut the header and replace it by another one.
b) I cut the last bytes of the BIOS module to let the code end at the end of the offset "F".
c) For the correction of the checksum-8 I use CodeRush’s UEFITool. After having opened any original AMI Aptio IV BIOS, which does not have yet any NVMe support (I took the ASUS P8Z68-V one), I inserted the freshly modded NVMe module into the section, which contains the other EFI modules, and saved the modded BIOS. Then I opened the modded BIOS by using the AMI Aptio IV MMTool, extracted the just inserted NVMe EFDI module as "uncompressed" and check the checksum-8 by using HxD.

Hi guys!
i have succcessfully switched from Intel P3700 to 960 pro without new windows installation!

1) i have installed Samsung driver as second driver as i have showed some days ago
2) installed Samsung Nmve Windows driver.
3) Use Acronsi 2017 Boot Cd Iso to CLONE P3700 to Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 8.1 x64)
4) Power Off, remove Intel drive

No boot driver detected from Asus X79 Sabertooth as expexted.

5) mod my bios with Asus X79Delux 4805 by Extracting 3 tracks

"Nmve"
"NmveSmm"
"NmveInt13"

and inserting in my 4801

6) Now My Asus X79 detectd Samsung 960 Pro and Windows Boot Manager

Have a nice day!

Step a): I simply cut the header and replace it by another one.
b) I cut the last bytes of the BIOS module to let the code end at the end of the offset "F".
c) For the correction of the checksum-8 I use CodeRush’s UEFITool. After having opened any original AMI Aptio IV BIOS, which does not have yet any NVMe support (I took the ASUS P8Z68-V one), I inserted the freshly modded NVMe module into the section, which contains the other EFI modules, and saved the modded BIOS. Then I opened the modded BIOS by using the AMI Aptio IV MMTool, extracted the just inserted NVMe EFDI module as "uncompressed" and check the checksum-8 by using HxD.

Thanks Fernando. Still a little confused by cut the header and replace it. I presume the header is a certain amount of bytes at the top of the file in Hx edit… What you replace it with I am not sure I understand. The rest I follow along. Thank you.

Exactly, the "pure" module (without any header) starts with the code "4D 5A" (visible on the right side as "MZ").

Well I’m still a little bit confused. Guess I’m going to have to compare your finished product with the raw module to get a better understanding.

Thank youi

That is a good idea.
Don’t forget, that the checksum correction is done automaticly by the UEFITool and concern just bytes within the header.

Trying to compare my NVMExpress-DXE file I made myself to yours and there are some differences. Perhaps if you could please post your unmodified 29kb ffs file for comparison that would help. Its possible that the gensec and genffs commands I ran were different than yours. Also wonder what version of Clover was your file was from. Still curious on how you also add its proper name to show up in mmtool. Must be a command on genffs I’m missing. Anyhow it was a miracle I was able to get it to work with out those modifications fwiw.

Thank you.

My source file was the one, which was attached to >this< post written by celemine1gig.

hi ! the exact model is MZVPV512HDGL-000H1 SM951 NVMe from HP. I originally had windows 7 and thought that was mainly the issue and now am using Windows 10 Pro x64 to test. i tried following your guide multiple times and have not worked which is why im so frustrated. ive spent many hours on this since X’Mas already :frowning:

im gonna try it again from the beginning with newly downloaded stuff and see if it works…

---------------edit----------

nope… at least i thought it may have been a bootable flash drive issue as i noticed settings changed after i put in iso, so i changed it back to FAT32 UEFI GPT but guess not. then realized secure boot was not disabled… found out to save and delete the pk files to disable… still nope…

tried disabling ASM1061 storage controller didnt work either…

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post and blank lines removed (to save space)

your mobo is very cool but you should update the cpu …because it is only pci-e gen 2… http://ark.intel.com/fr/products/63696/I…-up-to-3_90-GHz
look for a second hand cpu at ebay …same for the vga …you should try to find some rx480 .
i have a sabertooth x79 and these days i find good upgrades for 100 euros : 2 rx480 from amazon [450 euro] plus 2 ek wb to replace 2 of my 3 gtx570 …plus a 12 cores cpu from ebay that will update my i7 3820 . i plan to check the famous helmet for VR … i already took 5 cpu on ebay and the 4 i kept are still running well , i hop the coming one will be the same good surprise…intel is not very kind with prices…and no longer makes “overdrive cpu”…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80486_OverDrive
i read that two ati are very good with VR : each card managing one eye …same goes with a rx 290
http://forum.vrspies.com/t/crossfire-and-vr-performance/406
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/stea…rison,4489.html

for the NVMe support , there is not so much difference with some ssd-ahci , only when filesize is very big [ 4 Mo ] …so booting windows is not so interesting while storing games should be very cool .
by the way , having a pci-e gen3 cpu will make a big difference with the NVMe

Hello,
I am new, but i read a lot and try alot (The How to from Page 1)
My Board is an Gigabyte X79-UD3 with the latest F20 Bios and i tryed for booting the 960 Evo (1TB) from Samsung.

Under my Windows i get the SSD all Time (with Windows (10) and Samsung Driver)
But booting doesnt work.
i get in my Bios, after How too, in the list of Booting, but if i will install Windows (10) it says…my Hardware dont get this SSD Booting so i cant install on it.
I have Input 3 other Nvme Drivers from the X99 in my Bios and tryed, but it doesnt be able to boot from it, or allowed Windows to Install on it (From USB Stick)

My System
2133 Mhz DDR3 - 32 GB
960 Evo over Pci-e
Windows 10 - 64 Bit
Gigabyte X79-UD3 with F20 Bios

Tryed to Clone with Acronis 14 and with AOMEI-Backup and tryed to install from USB…but doesnt work.

Sorry for my english, i am 36 Years Old German, and this is only my School English…

Kind regards, Critter21

My source file was the one, which was attached to >this< post written by celemine1gig.

Hi Fernando, is this the latest NVMe module from Clover?. Or the latest is that you provided in post # 912, what are the differences between both modules?, are both tested and working?

Thank you!!