[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@Critter21 :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

I am sorry, that you didn’t succeed yet trying to get your NVMe SSD bootable.
All I can recommend to do is to follow strictly my guide and the tips, which are layed down within the start post of this thread. This worked for nearly everyone.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Stickmode :

Yes, the NVMe modules, which are attached to the posts #1224 and #1225, are both based on the Clover’s Team latest NVMe module.

You should better ask the Clover Team than me.

I am still waiting for a feedback from the users, who have tested them.

gen 3 vs gen 2… should still be detected and work no? altho maybe at a slower rate

if it could be usefull to great Asus X79 sabertooth here is how i have done 960 pro bootable.

Before bios patch

after

sabertooth-x79-asus-4801._intel_4.3_marvel_1.0.1038_asmedia_0.97_nmveInt13.zip (4.81 MB)

i couldnt find the nvme modules on the rampage x99’s or sabertooth x99

could i extract those 3 modules from yours and put into mine? - nope nvm didnt work lol

i have the same board as this user
[Guide] Flashing modified AMI Aptio UEFI using AFU (4)

but i havent done the same step as him since im still not sure how to attept flash bios. as i was confused if i rename file extension from .cap to rom?

anyway i have windows 10 and using intel 750 as storage device and g et poor results

intel 750 is on slot 4x gen 2 slot. Shouldnt i get at least 1.5 GB/s?

i put it on black slot
http://prntscr.com/dtoby6

Hello!

How can I tell if the BIOS I flashed has the modifications I made? I want to ensure the BIOS is at least working before I buy an NVMe drive.

I have a GA-Z87X-UD3H. I took the F10b BIOS, ran it through UBU, updated everything and saved it out, then injected the non-compressed NVMeExpressDxE.ffs and saved that out. I then rebooted into the current BIOS and used Q-Fflash to flash the modified BIOS.

Since Gigabyte boards have DualBIOS, I’m not entirely sure if the flash worked or if the backup BIOS kicked in. Since I went from F10b to F10b, I’m not sure if I’m running the new BIOS. Is there an easy way to tell? Can I modify the internal version number or something else to identify that I am indeed running the modified BIOS? Thanks for any help!

If you load the new BIOS with the inserted NMVe module through the UBU tool now, you will see that part too. Clover… That’s also a prove that your new BIOS contains the inserted module.

imsims you did a great job , what is the pci-e card you use to handle the M2 card ?

rom is old name ; it was the extension of firsts bioses then came the capsule bios : cap that handles some securities thingies… linked to secure boot…

pci-e gen 3 is double speed of gen 2 , coming gen 4 is 4x gen 2 , 8x gen 1
that explain why maidos only have half the speed
if you buy a new cpu then only lines that are connected to it will be gen 3 [ 40 lines : 2xslots 16x + 1xslot 8x most of the time ] others slots connected to the chipset will stay gen 2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

http://www.angelbird.com/en/prod/wings-px1-1117/
great m2 pcie card with cooler.
ssd stay < 45° C even if under stress

although i got intel xeon 1230v2 shouldnt i have enough pci lanes to cap 4x bandwidth?

Unfortunately, hasn’t managed to get my SM951 boot to windows/linux on my Gigabyte z68xp-ud3 (rev 1.0).
I’ve followed the instructions exactly as was stated in this post, but without any luck. Also tried extracting the 3 nvme modules from various Z97 bios’es, but no luck each and every time - there is simply no ‘boot manager’ record after os installation.

Has anyone managed to get a nvme ssd booting up from on Gigabyte z68xp-ud3 (rev 1.0)?

Nothing in bios. 0 drives available. I disconnected others only ssd is attached.

@kaber

I had nearly the exact same problem as you, I could see the m.2 drive when I booted into my old version of Windows and use it no problem - but I just couldn’t get it to boot to the m.2 after installing from a thumbdrive.

Turns out I messed up flashing the BIOS using the flashback tool Asus uses.

You need to make sure your BIOS update file is named properly, in my case my Maximus Hero VI file name was M6H.cap. You need to have it on a completely blank USB drive formatted to FAT or FAT32 (sometimes the drives have hidden partitions too if you used it as a boot drive before). Make sure it is in the right USB slot on the back of the motherboard according to your manual and hold down the flashback button for about 3 seconds. It should blink off and on for a while (mine did for about 30 seconds) and then the light should turn off.

My problem was that my light flashed for a while and then turned solid blue - I mistook that as it being done, but it actually means it failed to flash.

wish i could even see the drive

@diman82 :
Since many users got the Samsung SM951 NVMe booting with a Z68 chipset system by following the start post guide, I hope, that you will succeed as well.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@ajriddle :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.
It is great, that you finally succeeded after having found out what you were missing before.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Eccentricity :

To verify, that your modded BIOS has been successfully flashed into your mainboard’s BIOS chip, it may be a good idea to additionally update the Intel RAID ROM module. After having flashed the modded BIOS you can check the version of the currently working Intel RAID Utility version by temporarily switching the Intel SATA Controller to "RAID" and to hit CTRL+I while booting. If it shows the updated version, you can be sure, that the modded BIOS (inclusive the added NVMe module) has been successfully flashed.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Perfect! I’ll have a look tonight, thanks for the info!

To verify, that your modded BIOS has been successfully flashed into your mainboard’s BIOS chip, it may be a good idea to additionally update the Intel RAID ROM module. After having flashed the modded BIOS you can check the version of the currently working Intel RAID Utility version by temporarily switching the Intel SATA Controller to "RAID" and to hit CTRL+I while booting. If it shows the updated version, you can be sure, that the modded BIOS (inclusive the added NVMe module) has been successfully flashed.

Thanks for the tip, will check this soon!
Can you please point what module/filename do I need to substitute for upgrading Intel RAID ROM module? Is it the ‘CSMCORE’ filename?
P.S I’ve an active RAID0 array, is there a chance that the array may get corrupted in case of some incompatibility issue?

The Intel RAID ROM of all AMI Aptio IV BIOSes is within the file named CSMCORE and listed as "8086,2822" (after having checked the "Link present" option within the "For Option ROM only" section of the MMTool).

No, the array will not get corrupted by updating the Intel RAID ROM version. The only thing, which may happen is, that you cannot boot into your existing RAID array, but in this case you can re-flash an additionally prepared modded BIOS, where you just had inserted the NVMe module without having updated the Intel RAID ROM module.

Hello,

im from germany and i heard from this page in a lot of disussions about nvme support for z77 chipset.
i have a asrock z77 extreme 11 and put an samsung 960 pro over an adapter to pcie slot. installation of windows 10 works, but after this i cant boot from the drive.

to put the nvme driver into this bios i tried to use your manual, but get the message from the mmtool "file size exeeds volume size". i tried both driver, also the compressed one. no one works.
how can i get the nvme support on my mainboard and how can i boot from my 960 pro?

Greetings from cold germany
Daniel

Wow! What great work you all have done here!

Very inspiring!

I have been reading through this thread and several others on this forum after pre ordering my 1TB Samsung 960 PRO a month ago.

After receiving it I plugged it in fully expecting to be able to get right to using it after doing my homework.

Unfortunately I have met some issues that I can’t figure out.

First, my system:
32 GB RAM
i7-3930k CPU
Win 7 64 bit OS
Dual AMD Radeon 290x GPU
SABERTOOTH X79 MOBO
BIOS Version 4701
Samsung 960 PRO 1TB connected through Lycom DT-120 M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter
I have installed Samsung NVME Controller 2.1

Now my problem(s):
First, Windows is not detecting the 960 PRO under My Computer’s “HardDisk Drives” section. However, Samsung Magician is detecting it and I can find it under disk drives in Device Manager. So I don’t even know how to use the drive as is even without installing an OS on it.

Second, I had previously installed the modded BIOS using BIOS beta verson 4801. This did not work in allowing me to install Windows on the Samsung 960 PRO and it never fully detected the drive either. All that showed up in the BIOS was something that said “PATA SS” when the drive was plugged in.

Since then I have downgraded the BIOS to version 4701 but I have been unable to get past the BIOS USB FLASH security. Could anyone help me with this? I did it before with version 4801 but I can’t seem to get it to work again. I tried using @CodeRush 's guide but when I get to the /GAN part the program says its an unknown command. Any tips on that?

Also of note, in both cases, I have never seen the 3 NVMe modules named Nvme, NvmeSmm and NVMEINT13 in the BIOS file when viewing with the MMTool. Should I have gotten those from somewhere else and added them?

I know this might be a lot to dig through but I promise you I am definitely putting in the work on my side. I’ve been at this for several days and I didn’t want to resort to asking questions until I had exhausted all options on my side.

Hope I didn’t miss anything. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Not sure if this matters but I have to use the .ROM extension when updating my BIOS for some reason. I think the SABERTOOTH X79 no longer requires the use of the .CAP converter. It is no longer listed as a downloadable file on the support page for the board.