[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

@imsims :

How did your bypass the BIOS security? Can you describe this part to me? I haven’t had success using methods I’ve found and I have the SABERTOOTH X79.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by the direct address to the author (to save space withinj this already very voluminous thread)

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/415077…79.html?page=61

extract from zip and rename it SABERX79.CAP
and enjoy 960 pro on BEST chipset from last 5 years X79 :smiley:

sabertooth-x79-asus-4801._intel_4.3_marvel_1.0.1038_asmedia_0.97_nmveInt13.zip (4.81 MB)

Hi, this my first post and i find this page because i needed support a new m.2 nvme ( Samsumg SM951 NVME 256 gb To be precise) in a z87 chipset and I am truly grateful with the people that made it possible, and Fernando for the kind help. So i am using this m.2 booting windows 10 whitout any issue. Just follow the #1 post guide and is extremely easy make it work, here´s a pic of my system.

Specs:
Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 chipset Z87
i5 4690k
SM951 NVME M.2 with a Silverstone ECM20 adapter card

Thank you again
|addpics|cxo-1-bfab.jpg|/addpics|

Thanks for the quick reply @imsims
I updated the BIOS with your file and followed your instructions as well as the instructions on the first page but I was not able to locate the drive at all. Not even a "PATA SS" option came up.
Again, I can see the drive in Samsung Magic and in my Device Manager but I can’t see it in my Computer’s Hard Disk Drives list nor can I see it in BIOS.

I was looking in my bios and I noticed all of my PCIE slots were set to GEN3. Does this matter? I tried setting them to GEN2 but it didn’t seem to make a difference.

For some reason I was able to change the filename of the file you shared with me to SABERX79.CAP and just plug it in the back and the USB BIOS Flashback worked but when I wasn’t able to see the SSD in BIOS I went back and tried a different modded BIOS and named it SABERX79.CAP and was not able to get the USB BIOS Flashback to work with that version.

What did you do to your modded BIOS that you were able to get it to load with USB BIOS Flashback?

UPDATE:
I found out how to make the Samsung 960 PRO visible under Hard Disk Drives in my Computer by doing this: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs…ows/ta-p/111492
So now I can see the drive. I tried to use @imsims modded bios and the instructions in the OP but I still don’t see it in the BIOS.

usb stick should be 8 Go Max… try again and format it in fat16 [with 4Go or less ] or fat32 …

@TrackStar
you will not see hdd on hdd list as it is not an sata hdd!
you will see it in the boot list UEFI if it has a UEFI boot partition, done AFTER you will install windows on it.
like that ->

NVMe SSD shown within BIOS.jpg

just to be clear, the bios mod nmve module JUST scan PCI-E bus to find UEFI boot partions to be able to boot from PCIE "devices"
that in OUR case are HDD !!

Hope i have been clear … :smiley:

PS: what i have done is JUST use 3 tracks from Asus x79 Deluxe bios 4805 in the Asus X79 Sabertooth 4801
becouse ASUS is lazy to update its products bios!

meanwhile i do not understood why asus update X79Deluxe Motherboard and NOT Sabertooth that it was an expensive product!!!

PS2: i think my mod is better than Fernando one (sorry for saying this … :D) becouse it replicate ASUS near-same-motherboard X79,
hope Asus has tested it on X79 deluxe :smiley:

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded blank lines removed and inserted image resized/attached via Forum Software (to save space within this already very voluminous thread)

@weissdaniel :
Hello Daniel,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
If you get the message "File size exceeds volume size" while trying to insert the NVMe EFI module into the BIOS, you have to remove another EFI module from the BIOS before trying it again.
A very good candidate is the BIOS module named "SataDriver" (sometimes named "RaidDriver"), which is only needed and used, if the Intel SATA Controller has been set to "RAID" within the BIOS and the OS has been installed in UEFI mode.
Good luck!

@TrackStar :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
It is fine, that you finally succeeded and got the NVMe SSD booting!

@sgt_meowmers :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
Congratulations, that you succeeded by just following the instructions given within the start post and without the need of any further help!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

i agree with you imsims , asus is not so great , i was member of the forum about “high class product” because i registered my product and became vip…but one day for a post i did , i was totally banned ; banned by a little scum not even moderatator…
it s some brand like M$ or intel or samsung-phone that are “feeling like being very above their customers…” , latest example i have about intel is its drivers for network … the public release has one win10 driver for the chip of the sabertooth x79 that is a 1 Gb/s , i have a tyan and a supermicro boards with two others chips of the same generation…but they are no driver for them …except if i download the driver from supermicro : then there is one for its chip …or force the install of the driver using the x79 driver with the tyan…
that stinks to do things like that moreover when they do so much profits…
by the way as i was banned from asus i decided to never buy again this brand even if they make the “best” …by now i plan to go gigabyte [because of apple os] , i wait pci-e gen4 boards and the waterblock for it ;’]

How do I install a new copy of Windows onto the SSD without being able to detect the SSD in the Windows installation program?

Is there a way to do it while running Windows?

Actually all I’ve been able to accomplish is being able to see the drive in Windows. I have been able to do nothing else. I still need help!

Which Windows OS are you trying to install onto which NVMe SSD?
Did you boot off the installation medium in UEFI mode?
Did you get any error message?
Are you sure, that you got the modded BIOS with the inserted EFI NVMe module successfully flashed?

I am sorry, but I thought, that you got your NVMe SSD already bootable. There were too many new posts within this thread.

I am trying to install Win7 onto a Samsun 960 PRO.
I tried booting from the USB with the copy of Win7 on it in UEFI mode but it does not detect the SSD in the installer.
No error messages.

I am positive I have the modded BIOS that @imsims provided me a few comments ago installed properly. (We have the same MOBO)

However, I have been unable to install the modded BIOS that you had us create on page 1. I haven’t been able to figure out how to bypass the Security to install it.

@TrackStar :
As long as you haven’t successfully flashed the modded BIOS by using the ASUS USB Flashback feature, you will not be able to get the NVMe SSD bootable.
Furthermore you will need to load the latest Samsung NVMe driver. Otherwise the Win7 Setup will not be able to detect the Samsung NVMe Controller.

I have the Samsung NvME driver 2.1 installed.

I was able to use @imsims modded BIOS with the ASUS USB Flashback but I am not able to do it with your modded BIOS. Can you tell me how to bypass the BIOS security feature so that I can use yours?

@Fernando
@imsims
While we’ve been talking I attempted to install Win7 onto the Samsung 960 PRO using the information provided here http://superuser.com/questions/490476/ho…d/490477#490477

Then I went into the BIOS and did the following:
So first I disabled SATA mode

IMG_20170111_121936028.jpg

Then I set UEFI mode in the CSM

IMG_20170111_122023729.jpg

Then I disabled Fast Boot

IMG_20170111_122012608.jpg

When I reloaded the BIOS I was unable to see any drives.

IMG_20170111_121853743.jpg

As you can see there are no drives available in the Boot Option/Boot Override

IMG_20170111_122012608.jpg

Relevant to the following image (I have tried setting to GEN2 but it doesnt cahnge anything)

IMG_20170111_122103646.jpg

When I try to start Windows from here I see the following screens on load:

IMG_20170111_122305103.jpg

IMG_20170111_122322125.jpg

IMG_20170111_122354846.jpg

IMG_20170111_121835501.jpg

So, aside from figuring out how to bypass the security feature of the BIOS so I can try the other modded BIOS I don’t know what to do anymore…

@Fernando :
Can you please link me a guide on how to upgrade the ‘CSMCORE’ module? I’m a little bit afraid of taking this module from another UEFI BIOS and upgrading it without a proper guide.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by a direct address to its autor (to save space)

@diman82 :
You can find my guide about how to manually update Option ROM modules of AMI Aptio IV UEFI BIOSes within the start post of >this< thread.
If you want to let it been done automaticly, you should look into >this< thread.

@TrackStar

if you want to install Win7 into an NMVE device, since win7 has not built in nmve driver you MUST press F6 during win7 installation and load samsung nmve driver from a Flash Usb.

Says that, i will advice you to use Win 8.1 x64 (if as me you dont like Win10 (that is in everyday betatesting and updating… :D)
becouse Win7 is too old to best support such new devices as nmve or Ssd in general.

Win8.1 + ClassicShell = Win7 "Service pack 2" :smiley:

PS: i have csm in default mode not touched uefi end legacy