[HowTo] Get full NVMe Support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Secure Boot was disabled. Tried also with and without fastboot.
With and without Windows 8 Feature (i guess this means CSM on/off)

Nothing of this allows me to install.

Does the mod work with a click-Bios II ? I thought its just the gui over the AMI BIOS.

Edit: Attached the BIOS ROM

e7751ims.zip (5.47 MB)

@Fernando ,

You are absolutly right, I forgotten I had done this mod with "Samsung_M2_DXE" as you recommended me to do in the past to get SM951 bootable, but no need of "NVMExpressDXE-2".

I just want to give anyone waiting for the 960 Pro 512GB or 960 EVO 500GB a head’s up that Newegg currently has them in stock. They’ve had the 960 EVO 500GB for a couple days and they must have just gotten the 960 Pro’s.

In germany there are a lot of shops who have them in stock:http://geizhals.de/samsung-ssd-960-evo-5…w-a1511200.html

@Fernando
Hi Dieter,
I have good and bad news…

Good news…just tried my brandnew Samsung EVO 960 and it works in the PCIe Adapter in my desktop.
So the BIOS mod seems to be working fine as the Samsung is an NVME version. :slight_smile:

Bad news…as mentioned the EVO 960 I bought for my new HP Envy and want to put the ADATA from this Laptop in my Desktop as it makes no sense to sell it (assume there are not really a lot of people interested in).
The PCIe Adapter is for NVME but also for AHCI according to the information on the website from Conrad.
Shouldn´t it work then?

Thanks for the great help here! :slight_smile:

That is fine!

Which NVMe module did you insert?

I suspect, that the problem is not the M.2>PCIe adapter, but
a) to get a modded BIOS successfully flashed into a Mobile system and
b) to execute the required BIOS settings (Mobile systems have very limited options).

Because the HP anywhere, any documentation claims that its SSD (HP Z Turbo Drive G2) - NVMe. So I ended up in this thread. And, out of ignorance, I am doing nonsense.
In fact, there SSD - MZHPV512HDGL, those AHCI version.

I decided that this information could be useful.
Thank you all, without this forum I would not understand.

Hi Dieter,
I used this module from Conrad:

https://www.conrad.de/de/schnittstellen-…earch%20Results

Bought this as it should work for NVMe but also AHCI M.2 SSDs.

I think you missunderstood me, the ADATA I want to put with above mentioned module into my DESKTOP PC where I have the ASUS P8Z77-M Pro Mainboard.
Just took the ADATA OUT of my new laptop as I planned to replace it with the EVO 960 INTO my laptop . :slight_smile:

The ADATA is an AHCI SSD and should also work in this adapter, correct?
If yes would I need any other modded BIOS or BIOS adjustment? Because the ADATA I can´t see within WIN10.

@M19 :

Yes, but it requires an additional BIOS module, if you want to boot off it.

By the way: I have to correct what I had written within a previous post:

Previously I answered "Correct!", but this has obviously been wrong, because your ADATA has an M.2/PCIe and not a SATA interface.
As a consequence the BIOS should contain a special EFI module like the SAMSUNG_M2_DXE one, if you want to boot off the M.2/PCIe connected SSD in AHCI mode.

I suspect, that it is the missing M.2/PCIe BIOS module.

At the moment I still can´t see it in the overview, would be great if already this would work.
And to boot would be PERFECT then :slight_smile:

Should I use the Samsung_M2_DXE or do you have any other BIOS module which I can use that it work?

P.S.: If we are now in the wrong thread (NVMe instead of AHCI) just put my post in the right one and we write there :slight_smile:

Maybe the Samsung_M2_DXE module will work even with your ADATA M.2 SSD, but this is what I would try anyway:
Open the latest BIOS for your Mobile system by using the suitable BIOS tool and search for the module, which let you boot off the ADATA M.2 SSD running in AHCI mode (it may be named "ADATA_M2_DXE" or similar), extract it and then insert it into the mainboard BIOS of your Desktop according the guide, which is within the start post of this thread.

I probably will do it, when you finally have solved your remained problem.

@Fernando , @M19
The special EFI Samsung_M2_DXE BIOS module needed for Samsung SM951 M.2 PCIe AHCI version to be bootable seems for valid for Samsung products only.
I don’t think this module does fit for ADATA M.2 PCIe AHCI product.
May be you should ask to ADATA the EFI BIOS module missing ?

Hi, I’ve a Sabertooth-X79 flashed with @imsims sabertooth-x79-asus-4801._intel_4.3_marvel_1.0.1038_asmedia_0.97_nmveInt13.zip
My SSD is a Samsung 960 PRO M2 of 512MB, my PCIe adapter is an ASUS Hyper M.2 X4 Mini mounted in a free PCI X16 slot.
After the first boot, using HWINFO 64 and Disk Manager on my Windows 10 Platform, the SSD was regularly detected. I cloned the Master HD with Samsung tools and made a reboot entering in advanced BIOS setting, but in the boot options I cannot see the SSD drive listed. Any suggestions? Obviously at the moment I cannot boot from SSD.
Thank in advance for your support.

@darkglobe :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

You will never see the NVMe SSD listed within the BOOT section of the BIOS or within the Boot Manager. What you may see is the "Windows Boot Manager". Simple reason: You can only boot off the NVMe SSD in UEFI mode.
Please re-read the start post of this thread carefully.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello Fernando, great information in here, but I’m still having some issues after many many hours of reading and testing.

I have the P8Z68-V LE, and I can not seem to get this to work. I have two PCI-E adapters and have tried slot 1 and slot 2 on the board. Win 10 is already installed and drive tests show the new drive will be blazing fast.

First and foremost, the drive I’m adding is the Samsung 1g NVMe SSD 960 PRO M.2. I’ve seen where enabling “legacy rom” should prompt to use this drive, but no sequence of bios settings can I see the Samsung prompt for boot assistance. I do not see many of the other options at all (security, fast boot, etc). Instead, I started modifying the BIOS code as described, it’s currently installed under the last entry in 01 in the correct section. Latest BIOS code is P8Z68-V-LE-ASUS-4102. I have tested the NvmExpressDxe-64, NvmeExpressDxE, and NvmExpressDxE_2. Something definitely changed with the BIOS piece because I now have “PATA SS” listed. When I disconnect all SATA drives and boot the windows install, it always tells me there is no drive visible to the bios to install to when trying to select the install location even though it sees the drive. Sounds like it still isn’t working properly.

Thoughts/suggestions?

@RokleM :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Where (onto which Disk Drive) did you install the OS?

No, you have to choose the UEFI option.
Can you please post the BIOS setting options within the section "BOOT"?

This is the NVMe SSD and the entry verifies, that the BIOS has detected it.

Have you already tried to load the latest Samsung NVMe driver v2.1.0.1611 at this point of the OS Setup?

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

My point of this comment was that the device seems to be working as my current legacy OS/SSD/SATA can detect it.

Yes, that is done, but will 100% confirm when I get home.

I will take a picture and paste it when I get home.

Ahhhhh, this was the confusion point and good news apparently! I did not realize this was the new device. When I select that device to boot, it just boots up windows or a USB without error.

That I have not. I must have missed that step somehow. I assumed that as the Windows install can see the drive, an additional driver isn’t needed. Normally if an OS can see a storage device it can use it. This may actually be the main / final issue I’m having. I will try to use the driver, and see if that allows the installer to also use the drive it’s detecting. I can take a screenshot there as well when I get home if the driver does not work.

Definitely frustrated at this point. Spent many hours more without success.

First off, with “legacy” on (which appears to be incorrect), it doesn’t matter if I add the driver or not, windows install sees the drive but will not use it.

If I turn on EFI, the system wouldn’t work at all. I searched and found this sometimes happens with video cards (I have Geforce 1080). If I remove this from the system and plug into the on-board, I can at least get video. However, when I go into windows install, still the same result. It detects the drive, but will not let me use it.

The windows errors and bios settings are attached, as well as the “pata ss:” showing the bios is apparently working.

20170201_162837.jpg

20170201_163011.jpg

20170201_163049.jpg

20170201_163106.jpg

20170201_165608.jpg

My comment may seem dream-breaking for some people, but i read in some post in overclock.net from a user that owned a X58 board (i think), that he could not boot his 960 Pro.
His 950 Pro used to boot normally in Legacy mode (by the drive’s special OPROM), but after cloning to his new 960 Pro he could not boot.
All i am saying is that the Legacy Compatible Option Rom existing in 950 Pro may not exist in 960 Pro, so boards need to have NVMe bios modules in order to boot rom it.

Thanks for the info, but I have added the module. The "PATA SS" did not exist prior, and post BIOS flash now it does. Apparently that means it can see the 960. Neither legacy or EFI works for me in windows installer as a possible install drive due it claiming bios issues.