HP Elitebook 8560p BIOS chip replacement problem: ME is in recovery state

Executed sp70943 and the F60 was flashed correctly. According to HP rolling back is not possible but I think it worked because there was no history in the hp_tools.
Regretfully the "ME is in recovery" is still there.

by the way, now these files are put in the hp_tools partition: 68SCF.bin and 68SCF.sig

You can check what BIOS you have now from inside the BIOS if you are not certain. Otherwise I guess you can dump the bios using fptw -bios -d bios.bin and check manually by searching for $SIG with a hex editor.

If you have indeed rolled back to F60 and the problem persists, it’s some kind of BIOS corruption. Other systems are having this issue so it must be HP’s fault one way or the other.

The Flash Descriptor is locked so we cannot reflash the ME Region just to test if that’s the issue (don’t think so, the problem occurred with a BIOS update at which the ME was not touched at all).

The only thing I can think of would be to reflash the clean HP BIOS region as I said here which I don’t think will cause issues other than loosing some serial numbers etc but I cannot guarantee that.

If these do not bring results, only HP may be able to help.

The F60 version is for sure.

I tried to reflash the clean F61 bios with ME8 and it did not work.

me8.JPG

I think it is time for HP than.

@ megatron:

You are right, you can use ME Analyzer to view your current firmware & driver versions. There is a separate tool provided called MEA_Info which does exactly that. You can run this via the MEA_Run executable or manually via a command prompt with administrator privileges.

It is possible that these monitoring utilities were sending commands to the MEI interface and thus you could not do both at the same time. Before flashing, it’s always best to disable everything running in the background either way. Anything that could interfere and cause issues.

Intel ME 11.0 Consumer PCH-H Firmware v11.0.0.1178
Intel ME 11.0 Corporate PCH-H Firmware v11.0.0.1178

As seen on the first post, latest ME8 firmware is 8.1.65.1586 and latest driver is 11.0.0.1166.

HP told me that I have to contact the local office to have the unit "branded’, which only can be done by authorized personnel. With the branding they mean put in all the data like s/n etc. So I do not reach there any futher.
Is that the little program I got from the chip suplier?

@ bicalov:

Maybe if these “brand” info are missing the BIOS forces the system into a “recovery state” of sorts. Or at least the ME. Why, I don’t know. It shouldn’t be important to any actual functionality. Indeed, maybe that’s the reason behind that program you were given by the supplier.

Today I read by chance an HP document which mentions that the ME can be disabled by (and I quote) “RightArrow + LetArrow and hit PowerButton in S5”. ACPI state S5 means that the system is shut down mechanically or via Hibernation. HP probably means the system to be Shut Down completely. So let’s see if that can give us access to the ME Region by unlocking the Flash Descriptor. First try with the system shut down and test via FPT as I said in the past (no error 26, full 8MB dump). If that fails, try while in Hibernation as well but I’m fairly certain HP means “mechanical” shut down by “S5”.

For two days I have been trying with no success. The right and left arrow does not work for me in both off state or hibernation.
The program from the supplier does not give any change neither. Maye you have any use for it.

HP1.JPG

HP2.PNG

I will give it a rest and think what to do next, Thanks for all your help, you’re my hero.

Intel ME System Tools v11.0 r5:

Flash Programming Tool(DOS): 11.0.0.1178
Flash Programming Tool(EFI64): 11.0.0.1178
Flash Programming Tool(Windows): 11.0.0.1178
Flash Programming Tool(Windows64): 11.0.0.1178

@ bicalov:

The problem is definitely HP-related. The laptop is not considered “branded” as in missing serial numbers etc. The first comment of this youtube video, this thread, this post etc prove that. It seems that HP has some manufacturing mode called MPM which allows them to change board DMI data such as serial numbers, UUID etc and then commit the changes so that no restrictions are applied such Disabled vPro (ME 5MB is part of it) and other stuff. I don’t know exactly how the procedure works as I don’t have personal experience, only what I’ve read here and there as linked above. I suppose your MPM is unlocked and that’s why you can change and commit changes as shown at the picture you posted above. What are the exact instructions that you were given alongside the wndmifit tool? (either from the seller of the replace board or the chip itself, don’t remember who gave it)

In reading the links you send, I remember what happened with the chip replacement (thank you). I changed the bios chip 2x and I did not replace the motherboard.
The mobo was locked with a password and the SMC files from HP support did not solve that problem. They advised to change the board as their assistance stopped after this file sending.(no warranty)
I ordered a bios chip on Ebay and this one was preprogrammed with version F08 (old). I re-flashed the bios to F60 and something went wrong because I and up with a black screen.
After that I send the supplier the 68SCF F60 and I received the 2nd chip with the F60 without the system data. Than they send me the wndmifit file to correct that with only the 2 pictures as instructions.
The MPM was open, it is was on a 10 restart countdown. I executed the wndmifit and locked the MPM (option), because it will lock after 10 restarts anyway. Something went wrong there? I start looking on the net and found your thread. The rest you know. I did try a lot of “solutions”, what I found on the net, but no luck. That’s what had me confused, too much different info.

I doubt about the “branded” part HP is referring to. I put in the numbers with wndmifit and the seriall and UIDD look correct, unless there are hidden numbers/data.

Should I try the CPQTAG program?

@bicalov

Your issue has been split from the ME Thread as it has nothing to do with it.

I don’t have experience with these HP methods, I don’t know what these tools are. It would probably be better to let HP fix the issue if they can as they say.

The discussion we had is now moved in the BIOS section in case someone else can help you further.

Note: I used the @username option (sends a pm) so that you can see where the new thread is. Personally, I don’t have something else to add to this problem.

Well, I’m tired as you are from this topic.
Thanks for all the help and patience, which was special since it outside your field of expertise. Highly appreciated.

How about this link? I see an MPM Unlocker, but I’m not accustomed to HP tools or manufacturing ways. I’m on Plutomaniac’s side, this has to be sorted between you and HP. The fact that you replaced, updated, downgraded, changed board and what else, is not making this problem any easier.

Thank you for the link and the reply. I understand your argument, but I finished with HP already. In both cases, after the support was not successful, they want to replace the mobo and I not. So I have to look for another way to fix this problem.
I will check the link and see if I can find a solution. I’ll will post the result.

I have tried most of the programs what concerns my problem, but regretfully no luck. No matter what I do, the system stays locked and so it must be a hardware problem. Which some of the programs instruction book it says that if this program does not work you have to exchange the motherboard. End of story.

@plutomaniac

Hi,
I have a eeprom programmer now and I understood that the complete bios of 8mb need to be flashed in order to get the ME part right.
You said you had one and wanted my file to compare. Did you do so already? If so can you post the right file.?
I would be grateful

Are you able to flash the chip while soldered or do you need to desolder it every time? Either way, the best thing to do is to flash a slightly modded SPI image with the Flash Descriptor unlocked using the programmer. Then you will be able to use FPT to do all your flashing (ME, BIOS etc).

So, first things first. Use the programmer to produce a full 8MB dump of your SPI chip and attach it here.

Thx for your reply.

I’m waiting for cable with test clip to attache to the eeprom, so I don’t have to desolder all the time. I did some programming with a spare chip and wanted to complete that.
So I will let you know when i have it, it can be any day now…Than I can also make the dump.

@plutomaniac

Received the adapter cable with testclip.
I read the full eeprom with it and attached the file.

68SCF-full.rar (5.36 MB)