HP Elitebook 8560p BIOS chip replacement problem: ME is in recovery state

For two days I have been trying with no success. The right and left arrow does not work for me in both off state or hibernation.
The program from the supplier does not give any change neither. Maye you have any use for it.

HP1.JPG

HP2.PNG

I will give it a rest and think what to do next, Thanks for all your help, you’re my hero.

Intel ME System Tools v11.0 r5:

Flash Programming Tool(DOS): 11.0.0.1178
Flash Programming Tool(EFI64): 11.0.0.1178
Flash Programming Tool(Windows): 11.0.0.1178
Flash Programming Tool(Windows64): 11.0.0.1178

@ bicalov:

The problem is definitely HP-related. The laptop is not considered “branded” as in missing serial numbers etc. The first comment of this youtube video, this thread, this post etc prove that. It seems that HP has some manufacturing mode called MPM which allows them to change board DMI data such as serial numbers, UUID etc and then commit the changes so that no restrictions are applied such Disabled vPro (ME 5MB is part of it) and other stuff. I don’t know exactly how the procedure works as I don’t have personal experience, only what I’ve read here and there as linked above. I suppose your MPM is unlocked and that’s why you can change and commit changes as shown at the picture you posted above. What are the exact instructions that you were given alongside the wndmifit tool? (either from the seller of the replace board or the chip itself, don’t remember who gave it)

In reading the links you send, I remember what happened with the chip replacement (thank you). I changed the bios chip 2x and I did not replace the motherboard.
The mobo was locked with a password and the SMC files from HP support did not solve that problem. They advised to change the board as their assistance stopped after this file sending.(no warranty)
I ordered a bios chip on Ebay and this one was preprogrammed with version F08 (old). I re-flashed the bios to F60 and something went wrong because I and up with a black screen.
After that I send the supplier the 68SCF F60 and I received the 2nd chip with the F60 without the system data. Than they send me the wndmifit file to correct that with only the 2 pictures as instructions.
The MPM was open, it is was on a 10 restart countdown. I executed the wndmifit and locked the MPM (option), because it will lock after 10 restarts anyway. Something went wrong there? I start looking on the net and found your thread. The rest you know. I did try a lot of “solutions”, what I found on the net, but no luck. That’s what had me confused, too much different info.

I doubt about the “branded” part HP is referring to. I put in the numbers with wndmifit and the seriall and UIDD look correct, unless there are hidden numbers/data.

Should I try the CPQTAG program?

@bicalov

Your issue has been split from the ME Thread as it has nothing to do with it.

I don’t have experience with these HP methods, I don’t know what these tools are. It would probably be better to let HP fix the issue if they can as they say.

The discussion we had is now moved in the BIOS section in case someone else can help you further.

Note: I used the @username option (sends a pm) so that you can see where the new thread is. Personally, I don’t have something else to add to this problem.

Well, I’m tired as you are from this topic.
Thanks for all the help and patience, which was special since it outside your field of expertise. Highly appreciated.

How about this link? I see an MPM Unlocker, but I’m not accustomed to HP tools or manufacturing ways. I’m on Plutomaniac’s side, this has to be sorted between you and HP. The fact that you replaced, updated, downgraded, changed board and what else, is not making this problem any easier.

Thank you for the link and the reply. I understand your argument, but I finished with HP already. In both cases, after the support was not successful, they want to replace the mobo and I not. So I have to look for another way to fix this problem.
I will check the link and see if I can find a solution. I’ll will post the result.

I have tried most of the programs what concerns my problem, but regretfully no luck. No matter what I do, the system stays locked and so it must be a hardware problem. Which some of the programs instruction book it says that if this program does not work you have to exchange the motherboard. End of story.

@plutomaniac

Hi,
I have a eeprom programmer now and I understood that the complete bios of 8mb need to be flashed in order to get the ME part right.
You said you had one and wanted my file to compare. Did you do so already? If so can you post the right file.?
I would be grateful

Are you able to flash the chip while soldered or do you need to desolder it every time? Either way, the best thing to do is to flash a slightly modded SPI image with the Flash Descriptor unlocked using the programmer. Then you will be able to use FPT to do all your flashing (ME, BIOS etc).

So, first things first. Use the programmer to produce a full 8MB dump of your SPI chip and attach it here.

Thx for your reply.

I’m waiting for cable with test clip to attache to the eeprom, so I don’t have to desolder all the time. I did some programming with a spare chip and wanted to complete that.
So I will let you know when i have it, it can be any day now…Than I can also make the dump.

@plutomaniac

Received the adapter cable with testclip.
I read the full eeprom with it and attached the file.

68SCF-full.rar (5.36 MB)

I took your dump and

a) unlocked the Flash Descriptor so that you can now use software tools and not the programmer.
b) replaced the ME region with one from another 68SCF dump which should be healthy.

Capture.PNG

1. Download the attached archive.
2. Use your programmer to flash the file 68SCF_Dump_Fix.bin
3. Does the problem persist? Any change when running MEInfo, MEManuf?

68SCF_Dump_Fix.rar (5.23 MB)

Thx for your help.
Unfortunately something went wrong. I flashed your bin.file but I get black screen with the capslock and numlock blinking 5 times, fan full speed and nothing else.
I have to look into that,

Update:
Through the pressure on the testclip, the chip let go from the mobo and I have to fix that first before anything else.
system completely dead.

Update 2:
Thread can be closed. I did not get through to fix the mobo once more. Tried very hard, but my handicap plays up to much.
So now the problem with the ME is no longer an issue, I need to look for a new mobo or get writ of the HP.

Thanks a lot for all the help and patience.

Hi,
Still fighting to get the laptop working
I have a semi working laptop now. Starts up, you can get in the bios.
Only on VGA I get the picture as in the example. Own display and displayport give black screen.
I can’t read the error message, is there anybody who is familiar with this?
The second picture shows the screen after windows 8.1 has started up completely. It shuts down again after 10 seconds.

Can these problems be caused by the bios ? Or is the gpu also defect ?

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

The “fixed” file I attached last time only unlocked the descriptor and replaced the ME with a healthy one. Both these are not related to such issues. Why it didn’t work I don’t know, it has no reason to. Unless of course the problem is elsewhere (which it is) like hardware, BIOS corruption and so on. To me that screen looks like a malfunctioning graphics card and if it’s done at the BIOS level then it’s hardware related.

Thx for your answer.
For your info, the error message is : Warning !! Machine is not in committed state.
This is because the AMT is not defined. There are tools to define that, but than you also lock the descriptor and that one should stay unlocked…

You can provision ME from MEBx (CTRL+P) during bootup. Detailed user guide can be found at the equivalent System Tools package of the ME thread.

If HP again requires some other hoops to provision, then you should watch THIS terrible video and download the relevant files from HERE.

I won’t keep the dumps I found some time ago anymore so I have attached everything below for anyone interested. Remove the .zip extension from all 3 files to extract them.

HP.7z.001.zip (5 MB)

HP.7z.002.zip (5 MB)

HP.7z.003.zip (4.32 MB)

Hi,
I have a similar problem, like bicalvo, but with an HP EliteBook 8470p (3rd GEN Intel CPU).
I flashed a new BIOS update to my system and now my ME disappeared (seems like the ME part is corrupted).
Could anybody please look into my dump file, unlock the descriptor and replace the ME with a newer one? I will flash it then and hope that it will work again.

EDIT: I fixed the problem by flashing the ME Image :-).
Thanks in advance.

Hello @freeweber ,

Based on your dump I have done the following:

1) Unlocked the Flash Descriptor
2) Updated, Cleaned-up and Configured the ME firmware

Capture.PNG

8470p_fix_me.rar (5.14 MB)