I need help trying to insert my UUID, Serial Number and mac into a stock ASUS BIOS file

Hi,
i just bought a used PRIME Z690-P D4 and it was shipped with the BIOS version 2214. The new Versions for 13. Gen have some minor issues regarding Performance on 12. Gen Chips. I have a 12600k so i would like to roll back to an early BIOS version. Sadly ASUS does not allow to roll back to 1xxx Bios version via EZ Flash.

I have succesfully unlocked the Flash Descriptor via the Soundchip Pinmod and made a Backup with FPT.
I also have a ch341a Programmer by hand with a sop8 test clip. My prefered method of flashing would be FPT though since i have trouble placing the test clip.

Now i need help extracting the Serial Number, UUID and Mac and inserting them into a stock flashable bios file since i am not very familiar with hex editing.

I can share the backed up BIOS binary if someone can help me.

Thanks in advance,
Badger

Tried FD44Editor already?

1 Like

FD44 editor will view, save and can transfer the info, search it on forum.
An advice… severe changes in bios and notes from OEMs can lead to a bricked system when downgrading, besides your preferred method… the savior on a bricked operation will be the CH341a… do i make myself clear.
Everyone has issues with the clip as it needs correct contact and its not easy for unexperienced users… eventually they get there and understand why their so cheap.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. I already tryed to read the backupfile using FD44 but it has trouble reading out the Serial Number. I will attach a screenshot.

This is the file
bios.zip (9.1 MB)

Check the padding between 2nd NVRAM and first EFI code volume (AFDD39F1-19D7-4501-A730-CE5A27E1154B) in bios region, there’s at least somthing looking like an UUID.

It’s always easier to search for something you know / knowing the expected value…

Sorry, i cant find any related info on the file… how was this ROM done?
You said performed an fptw64.exe -d -bio_reg.bin
or
-d spi_full.bin
Do you confirm?

Maybe lbf6 can assist you in this, is more gifted than me in bios structure walkaround.

I am seeing the same UUID at three locations in the BIOS.

There won’t be any Intel MAC address (GbE region) as this board has 1 x Realtek 2.5Gb Ethernet.

[Edit] There is no motherboard serial number at the expected GUID.

If the board is functional - what do you see when you run the following command in an elevated command prompt?

wmic bios get serialnumber

There is no serial number present. It also looks like the Bios Chip was soldered on by hand.

I have edited the stock bios file with fd44editor and just put 0000xxxxx as the serial number since it does not seem important for normal operation. Mac and UUID are present and easy to read out using windows tools.

But now i get error 167: protected range registers if i try to flash via fpt :confused:
i have no second Device right now to flash using ch341a programmer.

How would i proceed from here?

Search results for ‘error 167 protected range registers’ - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

Knock yourself out…

Well, i tryed multiple hours yesterday to find anything like setup_var, bios lock etc. using different versions of uefi tool and ifr extractor, without any success. I just cant figure it out.
Another concern is that the bios is split across two Chips. What would that possibly mean for flashing with a programmer?

[AMI Setup IFR Extractor]

Find AMI Setup
AMI Setup in GUID 899407D7-99FE-43D8-9A21-79EC328CAC21
setup_extr.txt
Protocol: UEFI
Done
BIOS Lock VarOffset - 0x1D

AMIDEWIN - AMI SMBIOS Editor

Thanks a lot! I used that script yesterday with no successfull output. Dont know what i did wrong :D.

Now i cant use AMIsetupwriter because when i try to launch the efi shell it says that secure boot is enabled which is actually not and I also disabled TPM!

I am slowly going insane over here :confused:

Am I able to do it with AMIDEWIN?

UPDATE:
I was able to get into the efi shell and changed setup_var 0x1D to 0x00 via Ami Setup Writer and also unlocked flash descriptor. Just to get:

Error 167: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.
Please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable
Protected Range Registers.

FPT Operation Failed.

This is a tough one :smiley:

I was not able to find any Post in this Forum which is related to flashing a dual chip setup like this. Am I out of luck?

Lets get this thing straight… you can downgrade modern Asus bioses by FPT or CH341.
For all this you need to get acquaintance with correct use and strong connection with the clip to the SPI’s/correct voltage and and/from the chip ID vendor and on programmer, also advanced users will unsolder them from the motherboard.

Now using the Intel FPT tool will require unlocks to the regions… will only the bios_region unlock/flash sufficient for this? Maybe…but the current, not touched, ME FW image/EC may have a word to say on this.
Some users using the Intel FIT tool from same ME package, edit the FD to unlock it… this unlocked image still needs to be flashed… usually with CH341 as the bios is locked for FPT.

The CH341 operation… a MUST is the backup of both SPIs, we see several dual chip boards with main bios on 1 SPI and ME/EC on the other.
CAP/Header HEX 1000(4KB) (data not used in Programmer)
HEX 1 000 000 16M(16 384KB) image (Used on Programmer)
HEX 800 000 8M(8 194KB) image (Used on Programmer)

So this is all tryouts and taking the risks on success/failures.
There’s no straight solution for modern bioses or all kind of it/OEMs.
Only a user with same model and similar actions done, can be of assistance to you.
Good luck

1 Like

Alright, i will try to programm the SPIs individually tomorrow using the CH341. I have split the file accordingly and to my best understanding. Maybe you can take a quick look and check if what i did is worth a try. I have edited the File with HxD.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Fingers crossed that it goes well tommorow. I will post an Update of my Results.

Cheers
FilesToFlash.zip (8.5 MB)