ICH10R & RST 13.2.4.1000 Single SSD TRIM Support

Hi, because of your thread I spend some time on my system last weekend to play arround with the Bios and option rom, never do this before as my SSD (Crucial M4) was only used as single system AHCI drive.

Now I’ve got a second SSD Crucial M550 where I cloned my original System on to, so the old M4 get free for test. My MOBO is Sabertooth x58 (latest org. Bios 1402) with ICH10R (RAID Rom 10.5.0.1034), Marvell 91xx SATA 6G (1.0.0.19) and JMicron JMB362 eSATA (1.0.7.23) Controller.

I set the Intel Controller to Raid put in the M4-SSD as Single Drive and 2 more HDD as Raid 0 for Storage and installed Win7x64 ultimate with intel RSTe Driver 11.7.4.1001, Trim is working acording to Tools like HD-Sentinal but the Trimchecktool say is not.

Then I followed the Modding Thread within this Forum to update the Bios with Intel Rom 8086-2822_11601702_mod-for-TRIM-in-RAID0.bin, Marvell 1b4b-9123_1001038.bin and JMicron 197b-2363_v1.08.01.bin.

Suprise Suprise everything goes very smooth and Bios modding successful. Reboot and your Trimchecktool says also Trim is working.

After all I install back my old system with new SSD M550 in AHCI but I am very happy to have now the latest rom for Marvell and JMicron Controller…

Cheers wasisdn

@ wasisdn : Tahnk you for your Information about your tests.

Is there anyone that uses the same ICH10R and the same Rom v10.1.0.1008 and uses a single SSD and got working TRIM with it ?

I wanted to try out a different SSd but that one is even older and doesn´t Support Trim at all as it seems.

I just want to be sure that TRIM can work the way i Need it before i buy a new SSD. Even if it is a stand alone solution running AHCI mode with Intel Drivers.

If you run the SSD as single AHCI drive for sure Trim is working.

I’ve installed the old Crucial M4 in my Doughters PC, MB is Gigabyte 965P-DS3 with ICH8R, Intel AHCI Rom v120E ( I dunno the RAID-Rom version but no matter as they are not in use).

The OS is Win 8.1 Pro x64 with Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando and Trim is working (confirmed also with Trimchecktool).

Cheers wasisdn

The RAID oROM does not matter when in AHCI mode either way. Just pointing that out.

Hello everyone. I just wanted to update this thread. I could finally get a trim working with my Motherboard. I bought a crucial M550 and voila trim works. Weird that two older ssds simply won´t work, although the product informations said that both Support trim.

Anytheways…for now it works :slight_smile:

Another question : Since i got a used I7-2600 laying around here i plan to upgrade my System with a Z77 board. I want to use the crucial as my new single System hd and my 3 Samsung spinpoint disks in raid 5 for data. which Driver orom combination would be the best with a Z77 chipset board ?

Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far !

I recommend to use either the v12.9 or the v13.1 combo.

This might explain my new situation, feel free to correct me Fernando if I am wrong.

Thought I would take a new Arc100 SSD I was given, attach it to my P35 board and install windows 10 64 preview.
Works great but the numbers are way slower then they should be.
Even with SataII I am only getting 250/250, both should be 100+ faster.

As I mentioned in a thread months ago for my Abit board, the ROM is only 7.5 thus I read no TRIM and that is probably why the speeds are hampered.
As the board no longer has support that’s it. The absolute best ROM would be 8 which does not support TRIM either.

I can also mention that 11.2 are the last “classic” and when I installed windows 10 sure enough it was smart enough to load that driver and not
the latest.

Even without TRIM the Arc100 is still 5x faster then a spinner drive and 10 is snappy, shuts down, loads and comes out of sleep really quick.

When the final product will be available, Win10 will be faster than Win7 and Win8.1.

Natively not, but the TRIM modded Intel MSM RAID ROM modules of the v8 line, which I am offering >here<, do support TRIM.

Actually I used your modded 11.2 classic, so TRIM was actually enabled even though the OROM is still v7.5 and not running raid0?

System is set to raid but I was not using it, just a single SSD.

I doubt, that you will have TRIM activity within your SSD as long as you have set the Intel SATA Controller to "RAID" and using the old Intel MSM RAID ROM v7.5.x.xxxx.
If you wannt to be sure to get your SSD "trimmed", you should either set the Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI" mode or replace the current Intel RAID ROM version of your mainboard BIOS to a TRIM modded one.

As I recall the bios chip is only 64kb? and anything higher then 8.0 cannot fit?
I was also under the impression that ACHI is included if you set bios to raid.

The real fact is trying to get a modern SSD with all the bells on a 8 year old board is just not very viable.

I do have a Asus SATAIII card but I don’t believe it’s bootable and would not help with TRIM regardless.

With only one bios I am leery to touch it, it’s has the same bios for 8 years and everything works.

I’ll probably just build a cheap new system to tinker around with 10.

I totally understand you. The possible benefit of an Intel RAID ROM update may be not be worth the risks.

On the subject here. I built my dad a Gigabyte EP45-ud3r a good 5+ years ago which has slowed down quite a bit. Currently running RE3 drives in raid1 and it’s painful.
OROM was 8.0 but I found a tech site in which somebody updated the last F12 with updated code.
I flashed it and now have OROM of 12.7 which includes TRIM so I can toss a SSD in there with windows 7.

My question is, go with the latest 13.xx drivers or just stay within 12.xx? Should be no reason to stick with legacy with the fairly new OROM.

The duel bios on that board must be quite a bit larger then the P35 abit board. 8.0 is the largest it will ever have even with a modified bios so no point in using a SSD with it.

Curiously OCZ has a toolbox like many do in which you can send a trim command to the drive when you want to clean it up, no mention about needing 7+ or OROM greater then 11.2 for this to work.

I generally do not recommend to use any v13.x Intel RST driver with a P45 system.

The Intel RAID ROM version
a) doesn’t matter unless the Intel SATA ports have been set to "RAID" mode and
b) doesn’t change the physically possible features of the on-board Intel SATA RAID Contoller.

Sending TRIM commands into the direction of the SSD does not automaticly mean, that they will arrive there. Usually the TRIM commands cannot pass through the Intel ICH8/9/10 SATA RAID Controller, unless the BIOS contains a TRIM modded Intel RAID ROM module, which opens the door for the TRIM command.

Updating to 12.7 OROM should allow the trim command to pass through in windows 7.

With OROM of 12.7 and a P45 board what do you suggest to use for the actual driver? Use the latest in the 12 group and don’t touch 13?

The board is set to raid and is currently running raid1 for the OS.

With SSD I will keep it raid but have a single SSD and use two mechanical drives in raid1 for OS mirror backup plus files.

Yes, but if you may ever create an SSD RAID0 array, you will need the "TRIM in RAID0 modded" version.

Yes.

I won’t be doing raid0, just a single SSD with some spinners in raid1

Looks like 12.9.1000 is the last 12 series driver package.
That driver does not even show up on Intel’s website to check fixes and open issues.
The only 12 driver they have is 12.9.0.1001 which has many open issues.

Just noticed new 14 series at driver-station but it’s a beta.

Question, can you have a older driver with newer ROM?

The last classic more for 4 series is 11.2.0.1006, the current driver on the system as it’s running Vista and
that driver is the last to support it [until I update to 7]

I found two modded bios, one with 11.5 OROM and the other with 12.7.

Just wondering if I should have just flashed with 11.5 instead and stuck with the 11 group.

Any idea what improvements or bug fixes from 11.5 to 12.7? Does Intel even release such data?

The latest Intel RST(e) driver of the v12 series is v12.9.4.1000 WHQL. With this version Intel has fixed a lot of bugs, which were still present with the v12.9.0.1001.
You should consider, that with the start of each new development branch (v13.1, v13.2 etc.) or development tree (v13 or v14) new bugs are coming up.

That certainly is the case. One might think by now that Intel would have all of these long standing bugs worked out.
If you look at their doc’s for every bug they fix two more appear!

The latest which is at station drivers is not at Intel’s own website though, that is odd.
If they fixed many bugs then 12.9.0.1001 should be removed and replaced by the the better version.
Anybody that relies on their site vs station drivers probably is not even aware of 12.9.4.1001.

why don’t you just use the modded “Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527 with TRIM in RAID0 support” together with Intel RST Drivers v11.2.0.1006 WHQL for a classic setup,
or like me (x58 chip with ICH10R) the “Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 with TRIM in RAID0 support” together with Intel RST(e) AHCI/RAID Drivers v11.7.4.1001 WHQL.
The only reason why I choice the newer RST(e) option is because to the clearly array of system setup in the device manager.

both variants supporting trim confirmed by trimchecktool in AHCI and RAID0 mode + running very stable with acceptable performance.

you don’t will get any benefit from any newer Intel 12, 13, or even more 14 series driver, as there are specially designed for newer chipset without southbidge (this is what I learned from Fernando in the past few years and also testet by myself)
with some of the newer drivers I have testet (like 12.9xx or 13.1xx) the system becomes very unstable and will get very strange performance test resaults…