ICH10R & RST 13.2.4.1000 Single SSD TRIM Support

I had a choice between two modified F12 bios for my board, one with 11.5 and 12.7 and figured I might as well go with the latest OROM somebody inserted.
No idea what improvements or bug fixes unless you could find a whitepaper doc to read yourself.

Not going to be running raid0 with SSD so that is not important, just wanted trim support for SSD which both versions would suffice.

One version:

1. Intel 12.7.0.1936
2. Realtek 2.56
3. JMicron 1.07.28
4. Latest Microcode Updates

Second version:

Oroms Updated:
Intel RAID Updated to: 11.5.0.1347
JMicrom RAID Updated to: 1.07.28
RealTek PXE Updated to: 2.47

What about the third and probably best choice: Doing the BIOS modification yourself?

I have no education in modifying bios. I have been building systems for 20 years but bios manipulation is not part of that resume.
Many others are good at it and offer up modified bios that work and that is what I went with.
I am a builder, not a coder.

It is much easier than you may think.

There is nothing to code. Just run the appropriate tool and let it replace the option ROM you want to get updated/downgraded.
Tip: Only very few changes are really recommended to do (example: Intel RAID ROM for RAID users). Dont try to update everything, which is possible.

Guess what, same as me before!
then I got to know Fernando in another Forum and read his usful posts, followed him to here and with the very clarified threads >here< it’s not that complicated.

Easy at it may be with some trial and error is just not necessary. The board in question I did not update the bios in over 5 years and only recently did in order to get trim with a SSD, otherwise I would have let it remain where it was because it worked.
I don’t foresee myself doing any bios modification in the near future.
Somebody already modified said bios, it worked and that is all I really was looking for.

It is your decision, but …
1. you are dependent on somebody else, whome you have to trust, that he/she has done the BIOS modding correctly, and
2. you have to take the modded BIOS as it is, no matter whether the inserted modules are useful for your PC configuration or not.

The updated bios was a request at tweaktown forums for the board in question and somebody who is a long time contributor took up the request and added full documentation.
Feedback has been 100% so I trust it was done right or there would be complaints.
I myself am not having any issues.
As I recall you modify bios’s here and post them, correct?

The only question I had is between the two if I am should have went with the 11.5 or the 12.7. I chose the 12 series OROM and I am sure it will work just fine just as 11.5 would as well.

ICH10R chipset
BIOS Raid ROM: Intel Matrix Storage Manager v8.0.0.1038
SATA Controller set as RAID mode but SSD is not a member in any array (i.e. running independently as non-member disk)

Using Asus P5Q Mainboard

May I ask if TRIM is running/ enabled in such situation if a SSD is plugged?

Thanks~

(If modded BIOS is needed, I’m not sure about the BIOS chip size is large enough or not for modding intel RST ROM into it…)

@ sfij:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

It depends on the Intel RAID driver you have installed. TRIM should be active within the single SSD, which is not a member of a RAID array, when you are using any Intel RST/RST(e) RAID driver.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

But do I need to update the intel raid rom in bios?

There is no need to update the Intel RAID ROM regarding the TRIM activity within your single SSD.
Question: Why did you set the Intel SATA ports to "RAID" and not to "AHCI" mode?
This doesn’t make sense for me, because you obviously haven’t created a RAID array.

There is no need to update the Intel RAID ROM regarding the TRIM activity within your single SSD.
Question: Why did you set the Intel SATA ports to "RAID" and not to "AHCI" mode?
This doesn’t make sense for me, because you obviously haven’t created a RAID array.

As I want to use SSD as the OS disk while build raid1 using 2 hdds
That’s why i want to set the SATA controller as RAID mode.
However, I’m not sure whether TRIM will work or not under RAID mode as my Mainboard is rather old with ICH10R and intel MSM only but not RST.
I found there’s a lot of discussion in this great forum. That’s why I make a post here.=]

Just to confirm, TRIM will run when SSD is not part of the raid array, right?
Thank you!

As far as I know the TRIM command will pass through the Intel SATA RAID Controller into the SSD, if
a) the SSD is not a member of any RAID array and
b) an Intel RST driver is running (an Intel MSM driver v8.x.x.xxxx may not let the TRIM command pass into the SSD).