InsydeH2O BIOS Modding Problems

My notebook model is toshiba u840w (Taiwan version),CPU: i5-3317U
I tried to modify the cpu microcode, but I will encounter the following situation:

1. Unable to update microcode with ubu
2. When using hex replacement, the file size of the new microcode and the old microcode are different and cannot be directly replaced.
3. If you use the official Insyde tool “H2OEZE”, the microcode will be added to the me firmware, not the original location.

Another tricky question:

I tried to update vbios, but the original vibos file version number is 2130.
The file in the compressed package provided by SoniX does not have a corresponding version number, and the word file prompt (ONLY FOR DESKTOP)
but the folder in the compressed package does have “Mobile”,How can I change vbios to the latest version?

Finally, my English is very bad.
All of the above are translated using google. If there is a place where the meaning is not smooth, please forgive me :slight_smile:

teae670.rar (2.85 MB)

H2OEZE.rar (2.92 MB)

Images are too small to view, please attach full size (System will shrink), or upload to image host and post link for full size image
I will see if I can update microcodes for you. Do you just need all microcode update to latest versions?

Sometimes, desktop will still say mobile too., and sometimes manufacturers put both or leave one by mistake. I am not sure what package or file you mean that does not have version numbers?
All the vBIOS I know of posted in packages here have version names/numbers, in many folders for various versions. * Sorry, I was confused what you meant, I understand now, you need mobile and package has only desktop versions, correct?
I will update that for you too, if I can. Please link or attach larger images, thanks

Hello, I have re-uploaded the image.
Regarding the issue of updating VBIOS, because SoniX has published an article:

[Guide] Transfer of specific Intel VBIOS settings by using Intels BMP tool

In the downloaded archive file, the world file mentioned that SNB and IVB only have "ONLY FOR DESKTOP"
But the zip file also contains the Mobile folder, I am not sure if it can be used :frowning:

Thank you again for your help, thank you very much.

You’re welcome, and thank you for larger images! And on vBIOS, yes I assume for mobile too now, since included, maybe @SoniX forgot to update word doc after later adding in mobile folder?

I see what you mean about microcode at ME now in your image, yes that’s not good!

On your vBIOS image, bottom section “No 2130” in word doc, you would use 2124-2132, but yes again (ONLY Mobile) there is confusing, hope he will clarify here, if not ask in the vBIOS BMP thread you linked. I bet it’s just outdated file, not updated since adding in the Mobile section.
I will wait to do anything for a reply from him about this vBIOS.
For his reference, your stock BIOS has
EFI GOP Driver SandyBridge - 2.0.1024
EFI GOP Driver IvyBridge - 3.0.1030
FFS-OROM VBIOS SNB/IVB-MOBILE Version 2130

The BIOS file provided at the top is the version I have modified with UBU and H2OEZE, except cpu microcdoe and VBIOS.

This is the official original BIOS update page:
https://support.toshiba.com/support/view…ntentId=4004823

Can you trouble me first to teach me how to update the cpu microcode in the BIOS file? Thank you :slight_smile:

As for vBIOS, it seems that I can only wait for @SoniX to illustrate

PS: I think I only have one chance to update the BIOS. If it fails, it won’t boot up. x(

You can always fix with flash programmer (Ch341A), costs $3-4 plus a SOIC8 test clip cable $2.50, then time waiting for shipment of course , but it’s never a total loss you can fix it!

For microcode, open in UEFITool, in BIOS region, expanding only “BIOS Region” microcode is in the second “Padding” file (offset 544000). Extract that as-is, and hex edit in the microcodes you want starting at the very top, there is no space between microcodes.
In hex, do not write past 00014000, this is DMI area onwards. Save your modified file, and insert back at same location using replace as-is with UEFITool.

So can I edit all the positions before 00014000?
In addition, I use AIDA64 to view the CPUID, which is displayed as 306A9. Is it enough for microcode to only need this one?

Yes, all above is microcode space. And yes, if you want you can only edit/update one microcode. Be sure if size is same or not, you may need to add FF after is it’s smaller (So you remove all the one you are replacing), or you may need to move to the end if larger and no room to insert in place.
Don’t remove all others, that might give you hassles later. You can drag and drop that padding file on MC extractor to see contained microcodes and their sizes and offsets

Because the size is different
Directly overwriting the old microcode will cause other microcodes to disappear.
I will delete all the microcodes before 0001400.
Copy the new microcode in the file according to the original arrangement

Please trouble me to check if there is something wrong, thank you again for your help :slight_smile:

Code.rar (69.7 KB)

@jordanpchome @Lost_N_BIOS @hoffer @buggermem80 @mclarke2355 @plutomaniac @Kanati @acid96 :

To make it easier for users, who are going to modify an InsydeH2O BIOS or ran already into a problem while doing it, I have merged resp. will merge all Forum threads about this specific topic.
I hope, that it is ok for you all.

@sooon @gorillaoncrack @SoniX :
Thanks for your interesting contributions regarding the modification of InsydeH2O BIOSes.
As written within my last post, I have merged all the various threads into this one and hope, that this is ok for you.

@jordanpchome - Yes, you can delete all, then rearrange all into one file. I do this at command prompt, with all single microcodes in folder, combine into one file, FF all old microcode, then copy back all new from my file
Here is example of what I do, initially created this process for old cbrom NCPUCode updating, but still use it now for these kinds of updating too

Make list of folder contents
dir /b > dir.txt

Create blank .bin file (Name anything you want for this process, we’re only opening and copying contents via hex)
Nul > NCPUcode.bin

Combine all single microcode files to new .bin (Space after last +file and ending NCPUcode.bin)
copy /b ncpucode.bin + 1060319.bin + 1060312.bin + whatevermicrodoe + moreucode ncpucode.bin

Image and File look OK to me, good work!

Thank you for your easy steps :slight_smile:
However, I have not used the BIOS update that has modified Mircocode for the time being, because I am afraid I can’t boot :frowning:

Then ask you a question, how to view the version of SATA OROM being used under Windows?
Originally using INTEL SSD310 80GB, the operating system with WIN7 installed can enter IRST
But I replaced the Samsung 850EVO 500GB, SATA OROM 13.1.0.2126 version, WIN10 operating system, now I can not enter IRST to see which version of SATA OROM

The attached picture is a schematic, not my actual hardware.
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

SATA orom version is shown there, I am unsure if it’s something you can see/view in windows. Maybe with AIDA64 or HWINfo64, but I am not certain on that, maybe with Intel RST program somewhere too?
Version you see there in that image is the version used though, you don’t need any further verification than that, it’s the only possible one being used.

If you cannot enter that section anymore, mod may not be done correctly, or sometimes in certain BIOS/versions of the orom you have to have at least two disks connected to the controller, and RAID enabled in BIOS of course, so it can think you are going to enable RAID on those disks, then it will let you in there.

Just experienced a disaster, it is irritating
The partition of "Smart Response Technology" cannot be directly deleted into "Option ROM"
IRST software must be installed before it can be deleted

Maybe because I updated the RaidDriver.efi and SataOrom.bin in the BIOS :frowning:

In addition, UBU shows "EFI IRST RAID for SATA" and SataOrom version number must be the same?
Or can you separate different versions?

Thank you again for your help :smiley:

I’m not sure what your first paragraph is about? SRT.IRST is software, option rom is BIOS, these two are totally separate and anything inside a BIOS can be deleted, updated etc any time you want, doesn’t matter what software you have or do not have installed.

EFI rom and orom are also two different things, one is EFI for UEFI booting and orom is for legacy booting. They can be different or same version, depending on what you use.

My advice to you is to slow down, do some reading and research on what is best roms for your board and chipset, then put only those and be done with it.
It should not be difficult or confusing for you, there is guides here where Fernando shows what he knows is best tested versions of each rom and driver to use in windows too.
I think you are making it too tough on yourself by trying to mod BIOS too much. Read, decide, then put only that in BIOS and you’re done. When you do that, start with clean stock BIOS, or have someone do for you if you are still unsure.

Here is both guides for picking which roms to use - AHCI & RAID ROM Modules & Intel EFI “RaidDriver” and “GopDriver” BIOS Modules
Here is guide for best driver to use - Which are the “best” Intel AHCI/RAID drivers?

I successfully updated the CPU microcode
ME firmware has also been successfully updated
:slight_smile:

code.PNG

Good work! Did you sort out the Intel storage stuff?

In fact, I updated SATA OROM & EFI Driver just to improve performance.
According to my friend’s reaction, the version of 13 is 5~10% higher than the 11 version. XD

I am still watching the VBIOS part.
After all, I don’t know what new features or performance improvements can I bring after updating VBIOS?

@jordanpchome

Nope.

Several counter-questions.
1) Do your current updates work?
2) If I understand correctly, then can not you update VBIOS?

But if you use the UEFI mode, then updating the VBIOS does not make sense.