InsydeH2O BIOS Modding Problems

Zitat von SoniX im Beitrag #60
@jordanpchome

Nope.

Several counter-questions.
1) Do your current updates work?
2) If I understand correctly, then can not you update VBIOS?

But if you use the UEFI mode, then updating the VBIOS does not make sense.

Hello :slight_smile:

1. Cannot directly update VBIOS with UBU

2. I am using WIN7 system, CSM BOOT

3. Because there is no BSF file for 2130, I chose 2132 (I am not sure if it is correct)

4. Finally replaced the original VBIOS with H2OEZE

transfer.rar (3.61 KB)

VBIOS.rar (36.9 KB)

@jordanpchome
All right, for reading from 2130 we use BSF from 2132.

I would recommend first to upgrade the version to 2158. And if everything works, then try new versions (2170/2171).

I am trying to update my Acer E5-571-741L BIOS to uCode 0x2B

I have extracted BDW.fd from the Acer Flash utility for A5WAB (it is a multiple flash utilty for a range of laptops) BIOS version 1.33 (latest)

I exported all the uCode using UBU 1.7rc12.3

I have replaced the 306D4 CPUID 0x2A binary with the 0x2B binary and recompiled all the uCode into ncpucode.bin

H20EZE-W opens the BDW.fd image but the screen is blank and the Microcode option is greyed out.

UEFITool 0.25.1 cannot open the BDW.fd as it complains about overlapping modules.

What do I do next?

Link to exact BIOS exe download from Acer you want modified and I will see if I can update all the microcodes for you. If I can, I will tell you how I did it so you can next time around.

@LOST_N_BIOS Thanks, again the BIOS file is on an Acer page with the links hidden so I have downloaded to Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9884wao10wsly…S_1.33.zip?dl=0

Again this is my laptop and unlikely to be upgraded by CPU but I am interested in i7-5500U CPU ID 306D4 from 0x2A to 0x2B (A5WAB board, BDW.fd image)

@winactive You’re welcome! I can find hidden links

I tried normal method I would use to do this, extract file that has the microcodes with UEFITool, edit in hex edit, replace, but this BIOS is broken and poorly coded by default so when UEFITool tries to rebuild and correct it fails.

So in this instance direct hex edit is suggested. Open copy of the old microcode in hex editor, new microcode, and BIOS.
Select all, copy on the old microcode, go to BIOS file search by hex using the copied old microcode file and use “Find All” if you have that option so it selects the entire code once found.
Once found go to new microcode select all and copy, then go back to the BIOS file and paste new over old. Save BIOS, done.
If you’re hex editor does not allow you to search by pasting entire microcode or does not select all once it finds it, here is the location and size (Size 4800 / 18KB / 18,432 bytes - located at 00610cc0 starting position, ends at 006154bf)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/7c7ssk

FIT Table correction not needed this time around because microcode replacement is exact same size as old version.

Since this is now modified BIOS, you may not be able to flash with OEM tools, you may need to use AFU/AFUWin or FPT.
If using FPT use -bios flag to flash BIOS region only, since that is all that’s needed (So FPTw -bios -f BDW.fd). You may need to rename .fd file to .bin or .rom for FPT, that is fine.
If you get error along lines of BIOS region protected, etc, then follow guide below

Start at step #6 in guide, because here is the variable you will need to change “BIOS Lock” This variable >> 0x4AB (So you will type >> Setup_Var 0x4AB 0x0)
[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

Original flash utilty errored with 'Invalid BIOS Image’

AFUWIN64 stopped with 'error 46: error getting flash information’

FPTW64.EXE stopped with 'error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space’

Currently reading the other tutorial!

@Lost_N_BIOS sorry, the tutorial is way over my head. Not sure what I am looking for.

I have the tools from the start of the tutorial.

Taken a break three times, don’t understand how to progress from Step 6. as something refers to a value from Step 5. but the search string looks specific to that mainboard?

Everything is still reported as messed up when opening the modded image so not even sure what I am looking for is even in either tool.

I assumed it would be locked BIOS. Please follow the guide I mentioned, but only from #6 onward, I gave you the value you need from step 5 >> 0x4AB << This is that value, so when you boot to grub you will type >> Setup_Var 0x4AB 0x0
That’s all.

I have no clue what you mean about “Everything is still reported as messed up when opening the modded image so not even sure what I am looking for is even in either tool”? What is messed up, and how, and in what tools?
You do not need to do anything to this BIOS, except flash it, no further modifcations or changes should be done to the file, so I’m lost as to what you’re opening it with and what is messed up, ect. Nothing to check with it, get past the flashing mod BIOS problem and you’re done.

@Lost_N_BIOS I’m sorry for not understanding.

I wanted to understand how you arrived at the value I needed, but I don’t follow the earlier steps in the tutorial. I was referring to the fact that the UEFITool programs still complain about the image being in a mess with overlap etc.

I am not being critical of your work and sorry if this has caused you any frustration.

It’s OK, sorry I didn’t explain better/more. I arrived at the values using the first steps of the process.

No frustration here, not at all, only wasn’t sure what you were talking about, and thought maybe you were still trying to make more changes or something like that.
If stock BIOS has errors in UEFITool, that’s how it always will be usually, unless it’s able to fix something’s which it does sometimes. My goal is, if errors on stock, hopefully same once edited, except maybe a checksum fixed or something like that.
In this instance, all errors match in stock and post-mod, not even checksum is corrected, so goal accomplished.
It’s due to poor BIOS coding by the manufacturer

OK so I had to set a HDD password to even enable the Secure Boot Disabled mode in the UEFI. For anyone hitting the same issue, here is the resolution.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27072

What are we trying to achieve with the steps? I can’t just follow steps blindly when they do not correspond to what I have.

I have the following problem

IMG_0163.JPG

I have no exit to shell option in BIOS. Only thing I can assume is to boot to USB and this is where it stops with the error.

I don’t understand as the files are where they should be and called what they are.

Is it they should all be in root to avoid any filepath issues? I take it I do not need to rename anything?

Unless this is the issue and I should rename to shell.efi?

I then assume the command allows the shell.efi to start with protected mode off but how do I get into windows if I boot to USB?

You can see it has gone off script and because I do not understand I cannot troubleshoot. Fed up.

I’ve never seen much luck with booting that way through rufus, or with the yellow text EFI Shell. Since you do not have boot//exit to EFI shell in BIOS, use this method - [Help needed] Hidden Advanced menu Bios HP Z1 J52_0274.BIN (2)

Booting to this, is only to change the variable, once done you exit and boot to windows. On the password, secure boot, all boards differ but usually just delete the keys will allow you to then disable, but no matter how you arrived there it’s done now.

Are you asking me what we are trying to achieve? If yes, then the goal is to do this to allow you to flash the BIOS per the commands I gave in post #66
Doing this in grub (white text, no yellow) allows you to disable the BIOS lock, that gave you the error you received in post #67 when using FPT

HP Tool will not work. Apparently all my USB drives are write-protected. (They’re not, it’s just that tool is from the ark and I use modern high-speed, high capacity USB drives.)

It goes so far as to tell me one drive has bad blocks - it does not, once I reformat it in Windows it works fine.

Edit: So I don’t give up and I try RUFUS again, this time I get to GRUB and do the setup_var 0x4AB 0x00 (this was successful)

Reboot into Windows with CTRL-ALT-DEL (also tried REBOOT command)

Screenshot 2018-10-08 23.02.26.png

Did a bit more reading, tried the Sleep trick, didn’t work either.

I have never seen any issue with the HP tool and any USB drive new or old. Please try on a small cheap USB stick then.

Your image is bad, with yellow warning and size error, should never proceed, glad your board is OK! That was correct, you have it unlocked now, but are using the wrong kind of BIOS file/format for this type of flash it seems.
Now that it’s unlocked, which you may need to do again, flash with AFU instead. I see PRR set error though, another worse BIOS lock than previous one, so you may only be able to flash using official tools and unmodified BIOS (unless you can edit the official tool’s platform.ini file to not do security checks)

Did you order the $3 flash programmer yet? If not, get that done so it will arrive soon, then none of this will be an issue anymore

Image is from your Sendspace link, so do I need to do a flash dump (if possible) rather than use the download?

The FPT is from version 10 of the Intel tools, I have the updated AFU that was kindly sent when investigating the other Acer desktop.

Editing the platform.ini seems like it may have mileage.

Here it is, I will have a look with limited brain and try to see what I can effect then reupload an edited version.

platform.zip (9.89 KB)

I meant your picture of the FPT process with yellow warning is bad, when I mentioned image, sorry for any confusion on that.

I think ini edit, or flash programmer is your only option due to the other lock (@28 error). I will see if I can find anything that may help in the ini file

Change this to 1, then try again >> EnableFlashSecureBIOSOverride=0

Setup_Var 0x4AB 0x00 first?

Yes, that will help! Once you change that it stays until you flash BIOS again, so if you’ve already done it then it done for now.