Intel Chipset/ME: Versioning scheme and ME driver 0.0.0.1

Hello all,

I need some knowledge of the experts: I use a mobile 7 series motherboard. I tested the following versions of Intel Chipset Utility:

Question #1)
Does anyone of you understand the versioning scheme? Why does Intel call one of them 10.1.1.45 whereas the others have a different naming scheme…!?

Question #2)
Intel ME driver gets also installed when I use one of these packages. All of them install the same version, namely version 0.0.0.1 from year 2013. What is it for a strange version (0.0.0.1)?

shot.png

Thanks!

@pustekuchencake :
Since the Intel chipset device Software doesn’t contain any real driver, the versioning of the INF (= simple text) files and their installer Set doesn’t matter at all.
Regarding the Intel Management Engine Interface I recommend to install a real “pure” Intel MEI driver (get it from from >here<) and not an INF file, which tells the OS, that no driver is needed.

Hmm.

#1) Not fully answered. I know that these are (normally) only text files to remove the yellow bang. Nevertheless I wonder why this single package is using a different versioning scheme.

#2) So you want to express that this 0.0.0.1 ME driver is more or less just a fake driver? If it is a fake driver: why should I care about it in this case? I don’t use the “management” functions of ME… even more: I would prefer not to have this standalone ME operating system. Maybe it’s useless and cannot work with this fake driver. Moreover I assume that I can also stop bad guys using ME for attacking my system (as the communication between ME OS and Windows OS doesn’t work)?!

All your listed versions were given by Intel. The version numbers v10.1.x.xx are/were primarily valid for the single INF files, whereas the version numbers v10.1.xxxxx.xxxx were given by Intel only to their Intel Chipset Device INF Files Installer Sets (such INF file version doesn’t exist).

All Intel Chipset Device INF Files Installer Sets (no matter which version) contain an INF file named "NULL_HECISystem.inf" with the following content:

NULL_HECI INF file.png

If you want to know the reason for doing that, you should ask the Company Intel.

But this is against the following screenshot, which shows that the package itself uses the "short" scheme (v10.1.x.xx). Next to it you can see another Version of Chipset Utility:

Probably you are right and Intel just made a mistake…

Question #2)
@plutomaniac : Do you have an idea what this null HECI-driver is for? I cannot imagine that Intel inserts a fake driver only for removing yellow bang. Then they could also add a working driver version with a low version number (which would be replaced by a newer version if one installs a dedicated ME driver package)

Exactly this is the case.
This is what Intel has written:

That means, that the only task of the "NULL_HECISystem.inf" file is to remove the yellow bang, if the user decides not to install any real Intel HECI driver, and to give the on-board Intel MEI device the related Intel name.
The extremely low version number 0.0.0.1 and the old date were chosen by Intel to allow an update by installing any real HECI driver.

Ok. In case of Intel ME component definitely a strange approach by Intel. Nevertheless: Thanks!

Hi. I also have the same question about the ME Interface driver, but I can’t find the answer. I have a computer only for home use. I don’t know of any specific features I need from ME. My question is whether I need a real MEI driver or can I safely use INF version 0.0.0.1. My system is on Z87 chipset. Thanks.