Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

Hi,

Stupid question. Maybe answered before but wondering why I get this warning message with MEInfoWin64:

"GBE Region does not exist"

Thanks

Your computer don’t have an Ethernet network adapter.

Your computer don’t have an Ethernet network adapter.

Your computer don’t have an Intel Ethernet network adapter.

Intel MEI Driver v11.7.0.1013 MEI-Only Installer
Intel MEI Driver v11.7.0.1011 (Windows 8.x & Windows 10) INF
Intel MEI Driver v11.7.0.1011 (Windows XP & Windows 7) INF
Intel MEI v11.7.0.1013 for Corporate systems Drivers & Software

Intel ME 11.7 Corporate PCH-H Firmware v11.7.0.1261

Capture2.PNG

Intel ME 11.7 Corporate PCH-LP Firmware v11.7.0.1261

Capture3.PNG

Intel ME 11.0 Consumer PCH-LP Firmware v11.0.26.3000

Capture0.PNG

Intel ME 10.0 1.5MB Firmware v10.0.55.3000

Capture1.PNG

Intel ME System Tools v11.0 r6

Added OEM advisory from Toshiba regarding INTEL-SA-00075/CVE-2017-5689

Your absolutely correct. Dont have an Intel network adapter. Hit the nail on the head there. Thanks.

@Fernando
I have installed, may by mistake, MEI driver v11.7.0.1013 to replace v11.7.0.1011 on my PC X99 consumer (MEI firmware size is 1.5 MB).
All is working correctly.
Does v11.7.0.1013 drivers for Consumer (1.5MB) and Corporate (5MB) are identical ?

Also is it a concern if the OEM-ID is all zeros?

The answer has been layed down by plutomaniac within the chapter A1 of the start post.

Hi there. First of all, I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I registered on this forum because according to my Device Manager my Intel(R) Management Engine Interface is not working. It gives this error:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

My motherboard is: ASrock X99 Extreme 11 Bios version: 3.20 (latest BIOS firmware version)

My ME Firmware Version is: 9.1.30.1008 (I really want to learn if it is the latest version or not, I downloaded this earlier https://github.com/platomav/MEAnalyzer but I don’t really know how to use it)

My CPU is: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70 GHz Processor Speed, Cache Size: 10 MB Socket type: 2011-v3

My Operating System is: Windows 10 64-Bit Pro latest version on current branch as of 5/24/2017

You guys seem like you know a lot about Intel ME and drivers. So, I have some questions.

1) How do I check to see if I have the latest Intel ME Firmware version in my BIOS. And, how do I update it if it needs to be updated.

2) How do I get the Intel(R) Management Engine Interface to not give the code 10 error and work, on the Device Manager.

3) I can see Intel has lots of installable files and drivers, and some of these are called the Intel ME drivers. Are these compatible with my Xeon CPU and which one of these Intel drivers/installers should I install on my computer?

Please reply here or send me a private message.
Thanks for your help!

The latest ME FW of 9.1 1.5MB is 9.1.37.1002

Hello @ SalviaSage:

Your motherboard’s latest BIOS seems to already have the latest ME firmware included, that is 9.1.37.1002 1.5MB. You can use ME Analyzer by drag & dropping the ASRock BIOS to it, instructions on how to use MEA can be found at its github page which you have already linked to. If by applying the latest BIOS the version does not update from 9.1.30 to 9.1.37 then either try the in-BIOS flasher (Instant Flash) or just update the ME firmware manually with FWUpdate as instructed at the first post.

Capture.PNG

For the drivers, make sure you have the latest installed (11.7.0.1011) by using either the INF file directly for Device Managaer manual install or the MEI-Only Installer as instructed at the first post. For your 1.5MB (Consumer) system, just installing the INF or MEI-Only Installer is enough. The Code 10 problem can be caused either by old drivers (pre 11.x drivers used to cause this at some systems after sleep if I remember properly) or by malfunctioning ME firmware. The latter can be checked by MEInfo and MEManuf tools but the problem is usually driver related so try what I said above first.

Just wanted to give Kudos to Dell to quickly releasing a new bios with updated ME to address CVE-2017-5689 / INTEL-SA-00075 advisory even though the ME update security assessment tool said it wasn’t necessay on my Dell XPS 9343. Can’t wait to update the bios! Anyone with Dell XPS laptops check you could find a new bios waiting for you!

Thanks.

plutomaniac, I also dragged and dropped my BIOS instant flash file into the ME Analyzer and it is showing 9.1.37.1002 there, but there is also a display in the UEFI BIOS which still shows the old version of the firmware. I know that in BIOS version 3.20 they updated the ME firmware. So how come it won’t show me the new updated number?

By the way, I already did instant flash 2 times, 1 with internet connection to servers and one with offline usb thumb drive. The number is still showing the old number, which is 9.1.30.1008

Also, I installed the version 11.7.0.1011 of the MEI-Only installer from this link http://www.mediafire.com/file/phv2ryf7bw…11.7.0.1013.rar by your recommendation but I still have the code 10 error and the orange triangle in the Device Manager for Intel(R) Management Engine Interface.

Please help me further. What do I need to do to get Intel ME working and not have the error in the Device Manager?

The firmware is not getting updated because of ASRock’s implementation in which the ME region is read/write protected but their in-BIOS flasher does not temporarily unlock it to update/service it and thus it stays at the same version while the BIOS gets updated properly. Doesn’t matter, just use FWUpdate to update to the latest firmware as instructed above.

As for the error, download the ME System Tools v9.1 and run Flash Programming Tool with the command “fptw -greset” and check if the problem persists after the reboot. If it does, do you see an actual firmware version at the ME from within the BIOS menus or does it say N/A or similar? Also, run MEInfo tool from DOS or EFI and display the result here either as text in spoiler tags or as a compressed (zip, rar) text file (ex: meinfo > result.txt under DOS). Same for MEManuf.

I downloaded the Intel ME System Tools v9.1 r2.rar and there is lots of executables there. I ran the ME Info in there and fw update in there but they both gave errors.

Can you please instruct me more specifically on how to update my firmware to 9.1.37.1002 ?

I can see my ME FW version in UEFI and it shows 9.1.30.1008. It was not updated because of the read/write issue you mentioned.

You said:

How?

One is a dos file which doesn’t work under windows. and the other is a file with .efi extension that I don’t know how to use. I am not familiar with these programs. Please give me more detailed information on how to run and use these files.

Hi @plutomaniac

Do you have somewhere the download links for Intel ME System Tools v11.0 r3 and Intel ME System Tools v11.0 r4?

I’ve found Intel ME System Tools v11.0 r1 (11.0.0.1160 -June 2015) and when I use them to flash my HP x2 with firmware Intel ME 11.0 Consumer PCH-LP Firmware v11.0.26.3000 I get no errors on MEManuf test and BIOS rollback is working again!

I’d like to give a try to versions r3 and r4.

When I use versions Intel ME System Tools v11.0 r5 or r6 I get the errors and BIOS Rollback stops working.

Regards.

Guys, I’m looking for this file. It seems it has been deleted from Mediafire Intel ME System Tools v11.0 r8 (11.0.0.1180)

Thank you.

Some ME FW updates straight from Intel:

Intel ME System Tools v11.6 r13

Notice: Any old ME/TXE System Tools package dated before 2016-10-11 (yyyy-mm-dd) is not allowed to be posted here, either in the form of link or attachment. The latest versions provided at this thread fully supersede the old ones so there is no need to look or ask for the latter.

@ SalviaSage:

As seen at the forum’s welcome message, this community requires users with more advanced knowledge. Explaining what DOS & EFI is or how to open a command line prompt to start the Windows tools provided here etc is not part of that. Search online on how you can create a bootable usb flashdrive, copy the DOS versions of the tools you want to use and execute them under that environment. MEInfo and MEManuf need no extra parameters. For FWUpdate, you can flash via command “FWUpdLcl -f new_fw.bin” where “new_fw.bin” is the firmware file.

Sorry, I didn’t know. Difficult to figure that out. May I ask you the reason?

Regards.