Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

@ Octopuss:

Slim is a slightly slimmed down variant of the Consumer firmware and only Apple is using it at some of their systems.

@ RamGuy:

These are ASUS specific issues with BIOS compatibility problems or forced CSME firmware recovery or detection of different versions that the BIOS originally came with and crap like that. Try these Flashbacks or switching BIOS (if supported) as seen here. Maybe something from there will help. Also, try removing all power (AC → psu cord and CMOS) for 1 minute or so just in case that helps.

I tried to remove the CMOS battery, removing the power cord for an extended amount of time etc… Seems like I’m completely stuck on v0.0.0.0.

Not sure our friends advices me to do here.

1 Go to BIOS then select “Tools” menu then select “BIOS Flasback” then choose “Force BIOS 2 Boot “.

2. After boot from BIOS 2 everything will be fine and reset to first time before we flash
Our ME Firmware with bricked BIOS 1

3. Download Intel CSME System Tools V11 r5 or r6 and extract it root directory such
As “C:\ME”

4. Open Administrators Command prompt then use this Command.

C: CD C:\ME\Flash Programming Tool\Win64

C:\ME\Flash Programming Tool\Win64> FPTW64 -d spi.bin enter.

Am not sure what to do next

@RamGuy : fptw -greset before shutting down and removing power, it worked for me.

Do you run the command in Windows or in DOS? And for how long do you remove the power?

Hey all, got a new Z370 setup so I’m repurposing my old Z97 setup. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on it (MSI Z97 Gaming 5 w/ Intel 4690k). Noticed I can’t install the latest Intel ME drivers provided by MSI, nor any listed here. It’s on the latest BIOS offered by MSI. I did not in the BIOS under System Status that the ME version is listed as N/A. I tried reinstalling the BIOS and it’s still showing the same thing. Is this going to be an issue down the line? Not sure what to do as I don’t recall having that problem prior to doing a fresh install of W10.

Could you re-post Intel ME System Tools v11.0 please? I need this to check on 11.0 firmware that I’m having trouble updating (getting Warning 463 error messages)

Apparently, later versions of MeManuf are not completely compatible with 11.0. ( ASUS GL502VS MEManuf Operation Passed (with warnings) )

I followed the instuctions (installed Intel MEI Driver 11.7.0.1058 + flashed 11.8.50.3426 to Asus GENE VIII Z170). Everything is fine except I got these errors. What do they supposed to mean?

Error 241: FPFs and ME Config mismatch
Error 117: MEManuf Operation failed

meinfomanuf.JPG

I have a rMBP 2016 and I scanned .fd bios file with MEAnalyzer and it says I don’t have latest ME firmware. Which should I flash to not have surprises?
Could ME firmware be flashed via bootcamp? Any risk? I don’t really know which is latest version for macbooks. And Windows via bootcamp says that firmware is vulnerable using Intel detection tool

@plutomaniac Thank you very much for such great tools you develop!
Looks like I have to flash 11.6.14.1241_SLM_LP_C0_NPDM_PRD_EXTR

LE: Tried to flash via bootcamp and FWUpdLcl gives me error 8834. Seems locked firmware. I goota search if apple has any tool that we can reflash me.

@ Knight:

That needs to get fixed, don’t ignore it. Reflash the latest BIOS from MSI from the in-BIOS menu (M-Flash). If it has any option to reflash the ME region or similar, make sure you select it. If that does not help, try removing all power (AC) after shutting down, for 1 minute or so. If you still see N/A at the BIOS, contact MSI and tell them that your brand new board shows that after purchase.

@ bronxamigo:

You can ignore these warnings. Use the latest tools as provided in this thread.

@ Girjaman:

That is an OEM mess-up but doesn’t affect anything so you can ignore it.

@ nikoZ:

What is the actual message of error 8834? You should apply the official Apple EFI updates via whatever mechanism Apple uses (I think with macOS updates but could be wrong). For now, all Slim are shown as Outdated because Apple hasn’t released fixed firmware for Intel-SA-00086 vulnerability. So wait for that.

Ok. Thanks. It’s just stopping by after checking firmware. I’ll wait then.

I describe it again in spoiler

Sometimes after shutdown or putting into sleep, after few seconds(2-3) PC starts itself back or wakes up from sleep. Being in sleep can also wake up not
after 2-3 seconds but later - half an hour, 2 hours - random time. During night can wake up few times. Bios reflash with built-in utility and windows fresh
install doesn’t help(8.1 and 10 clean original untouched images), other PSU also doesn’t work.

Doesn’t matter in which way was shut down or sleep: sleep timer, case’s power button or windows. Happens also if absolutely nothing is connected to PC
(only power cord). Motherboard itself is also free of extension cards. Desktop is mainly for net browsing and documents so no overclocking or similar,
all settings are default.

But what I can add now:
1. I can reproduce issue by following this way: remove power completely(I mean power cord out and wait ~1 minutes)->put power back and turn on PC->Shut
down or put sleep-> Turn on again->Shut down or put sleep again-> and I’m getting itself start or waking up(in other words it is every second time
shutdown or sleep after power were removed). But described scheme works systematically only once after power were completely removed and in future
happens randomly until next complete power removing.

2. Sometimes happens so if I hold power button pressed for 4 second(what should cut the power off) PC turns off and immediately starts again back(tried
another PSU with the same result)

When motherboard was new(~2 years ago) it gave me just black screen(no post signals, no some text or letters on screen). Local warranty said that it was due to ‘dead’
ME and manufacturer’s service probably repaired it by firmware(but what firmware exactly I don’t know) reflashing method as they don’t see resoldering marks.

I assume that the issue is somehow related to buggy standby(sleep) process but who is responsible for that bug that’s the question. I read somewhere that
ME may be responsible for controlling processes during sleep and also that ME is only powered by +5V standby line

Just want to exclude bios issue, maybe after bad flashing during warranty process,and be sure that motherboard is defective.

Also using fptw64 -d I got dump. Maybe is possible to inspect it for errors? As you said earlier MeInfo and MeManuf both look ok.

Run Flash Programming Tool with command “fptw -d spi.bin” and compress & attach the resulting file.

Did it a bit earlier as test.bin in Windows mode.

test.rar (5.64 MB)

Download the attached SPI image and flash via “fptw -rewrite -f H81MHD32.FB_fix.bin” followed by “fptw -greset”. After the reboot, run MEInfo and MEManuf again to see that everything is ok and test whether the problem is gone.

H81MHD32.FB_fix.rar (5.59 MB)

does it matter I ran fptw64 to get dump and now use fptw?

No, same thing. Use “fptw64” if you like.

Intel CSME 11.8 Consumer PCH-LP Firmware v11.8.50.3426

Capture1.PNG

Intel CSME 11.8 Corporate PCH-LP Firmware v11.8.50.3426

Capture2.PNG

Intel CSME 11.8 Corporate PCH-LP Firmware v11.8.50.3426 (NPDM + YPDM)

Capture.PNG

I’m happy to report that my Asus ROG Maximus X Apex finally got its Intel ME firmware fixed today. After trying about everything from fpt -greset, bios flashback and whatnot I was always stuck at v0.0.0.0 with no ME functionality. Asus released a new UEFI BIOS v0901 18. December and this update seems to enforce a Intel ME firmware update which re-flashed my ME Firmware back to 11.8.50.3399 and now I have successfully been able to manually update to 11.8.50.3426 without any issues.