Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools (2-15)

Well make sure the driver is installed and that there us no yellow mark on the device at Device Manager. I guess you could also trying the ME9.0 FWUpdate.

OH, When I close the HWINFO.EXE, it success ā€¦

how to give it to you ?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=62ā€¦hint=file%2cbin

I can use only Microsoft Onedriveā€¦ Other canā€™t be used in China

@ lly007

Thank you for uploading a ME9.1 UPD image, much appreciated. And yes, running two programs that utilize the MEI driver at the same time will result in problems. Always disable everything in the background before flashing, especially monitoring, overclocking etc programs.

@Scamperor

Did you by any chance manage to create that UPD image from your B150 system using FWUpdLcl64 -save ME.bin command? Also, did that quick/dirty firmware ā€œtransferā€ work?

The OP states:

Does that mean my P8Z77-V Pro MEI can actually be updated to MEI 9.0 Firmware without problems? I have 8.1 Firmware now.

BTW, you know ASUS provides a special METool for MEI Firmware flashing in their P8Z77-V Pro support section. It easily flashes within Windows. All you have to do is rename your Firmware file to DATA.bin, replace the old DATA.bin firmware file with the new one, and just run METool.exe. BUUUTā€¦ the tool worked fine for several firmware versions, but now it doesnā€™t. I get an error log with: "Error 8772: Invalid usage, -allowsv switch required to update the same version firmware" . I tried replacing the included "FWUpdLcl64.exe" and "FWUpdLcl.exe" with the latest versions from the latest Full Package ME System Tools, but that did not help anything. Any ideas on how to fix this?

If I understand, for Z170 the 1194 module is for BIOS replacement and the modded one is for FWUpdate, right?

@ MonarchX:

I donā€™t understand how you concluded that. It clearly states ā€œIf your firmware is currently v9.0 [ā€¦]ā€. So no, you have 8.x and not 9.x.

That ASUS tool is useless, it just checks the os architecture and calls the appropriate FWUpdlcl tool. Nothing fancy. Use FWUpdate manually (how often do you actually update the ME?) or create a small batch script that calls it ā€œautomaticallyā€.

@ gpvecchi:

Yes, the modded is for FWUpdate whereas the ā€œnormalā€ is for FIT/FPT use. Tests have shown that even using the modded image with FIT/FPT doesnā€™t cause problems but I urge you not to use the FWUpdate image for FIT/FPT use just in case.

Intel ME 11.0 Consumer PCH-LP Firmware v11.0.0.1191

Capture.PNG

Intel ME System Tools v11.0 r9:

FWUpdate(Win): 11.0.0.1191
FWUpdate(Win64): 11.0.0.1191

Hello again,

what ME drivers and firmware would be suitable for my good HP dv5 notebook.
Want to bring to life again with Win10 64Bit :slight_smile:

HWInfo says: Intel PM45 (Cantiga-PM) + ICH9M (Base)

(G)MCH Features
Manageability Engine (ME): Supported
iAMT: Supported

ICH9 Features
Intel AMT Support: Not Supported

@ realmax:

Oh, ME4. Interesting. Alright, there were three possible firmware SKUs: AMT, TPM or AMT+TPM. Download the ME4 System Tools, run MEInfo and show us a picture. What DEV_ID does the Intel Management Engine Interface device report at Device Manager?

MEInfo says "unable to connect through HECI driverā€¦"

I tried all ME driver major versions to install but none workedā€¦
I think it is missing the intel driverā€¦
at the moment it should be stock microsoft driverā€¦

Also in device manager theres like no entry of MEā€¦ all devices are
installed correctly, no device which is not recognized so i canā€™t identify MEā€¦!?

I made 2 screens of the systemdevices ā€¦ maybe you can identify it?

i checked if theres maybe sth disabled in bios, but no options here, if it would be possibleā€¦
maybe theres no ME?

1.PNG

2.PNG

I canā€™t find it, maybe it has some generic name or similar. If Iā€™m not mistaken, the DEV_ID should be one of the following:

VEN_8086&DEV_2A44
VEN_8086&DEV_2A54
VEN_8086&DEV_2A64
VEN_8086&DEV_2A74

Search all those Devices, something should pop up.

Thatā€™s all I got:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_293E&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&D8
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2940&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&E0
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2942&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&E1
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2944&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&E2
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2946&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&E3
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2948&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&E4
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_294A&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&E5
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2932&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&FE
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2919&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&F8
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A41&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_07\3&B1BFB68&0&08
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2A40&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_07\3&B1BFB68&0&00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2448&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_93\3&B1BFB68&0&F0
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930&SUBSYS_3603103C&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&FB

Howā€™s the possibility that thereā€™s no MEI at all in that thing?
Or maybe if you tell me which driver ā€œinstallā€ I need, it then shows?

It may be that this model has AMT disabled so there is no firmware or operating system driver. What exact dv5 model is that? At Flash Programming Tool, run fptw -i command. What does it show? Are you able to run fptw -d spi.bin command (or fptw -d:spi.bin , not sure what is the correct way for these older tools)?

MEI.rar (924 KB)

Flash Programming Tool. Version 4.2.0.1017
Copyright (c) Intel Corporation. 2007-2009

PMXUtil: Error during PMX Call: sseidrvdll32e.dll!IDRVInstallDriver(): Failed to start loaded service err: 1275
Error 51: Initialization of PMX utilities failed. Unable to continue.
FPT.exe exited with return code: 51

--------------------------------------------
Flash Programming Tool. Version 4.2.0.1017
Copyright (c) Intel Corporation. 2007-2009

PMXUtil: Error during PMX Call: sseidrvdll32e.dll!IDRVInstallDriver(): Failed to start loaded service err: 1275
Error 51: Initialization of PMX utilities failed. Unable to continue.
FPT.exe exited with return code: 51

Itā€™s dv5-1142eg (German Model)
Oh, and the driver again refused to install, like my previous attempts,
says something like ā€œrequirements not metā€¦ā€ and aborts right away :confused:

Ok, as I suspected. That system doesnā€™t have AMT or iTPM. So thereā€™s nothing you have to do as far as ME firmware and drivers are concerned.

Those old Windows versions of the tools donā€™t seem to work on newer operating systems. Personally I tested the DOS versions using DOSBox and these do run but of course I would only use that method for displaying info and not flashing. For flashing, an actual DOS environment is needed. If you want to see the fpt -i output then boot into dos and test it but Iā€™m certain this system doesnā€™t have AMT support. Personally I wouldnā€™t mind seeing some pics from the dos MEInfo to be absolutely certain but 99% itā€™s what Iā€™m saying.

I think so too, that this one has been cut off MEIā€¦

HP usually gives at least one MEI components download with the notebooks
in their support drivers/software are on their homepage.

But since this model already lacks of that download I would agree with
you that it hasnā€™t got this functionalityā€¦

Iā€™m currently running Win10 64 Bitā€¦

Another question since Iā€™m doing research on mod bios for this device.
Is it possible that MEI is kind of locked via BIOS/Software but the hardware
itself is available in the notebook?
So therefore a mod bios maybe could make it visible?
How are the chances for that? possible or not?

No, the chipset may be capable of AMT but the BIOS lacks any support for it including MEBx and other needed BIOS modules. Besides, even if you tried you would only end up bricking the system. Iā€™ll stick to what I said before: nothing related to ME driver or firmware can be performed on that system. If you want at some point to run the tools of the ME4 System Tools package, remember to use them under native DOS and not Windows (at least for flashing). Thatā€™s all really.

OK, so I will accept this one has no MEI and probably regardless to what
action it still wonā€™t get itā€¦

Iā€™m just curious the way they have done it at HP.
Just keep the ā€œMEI hardwareā€ completely out of the notebook,
or put it in and kind of ā€œsoftware-lockedā€ itā€¦

Since warranty is over and I planned to dissassemble it to do some maintenance
like cleaning the cooling system from dust and new thermal grease I could at least
look for an MEI chip if it is a separate one which can be identified.
Or is it build into the chipset?

Itā€™s built in the chipset, you canā€™t see it. Different chipsets had different capabilities built-in. Before ME6, it wasnā€™t obligatory to have the ME engine operational. At PCH and onwards it became part of the platform.