Intel ME not responsive or showing in device manager

Welp, I’ve tried 8 through 12 series drivers, all giving the same I/O error. Removed all old drivers as I went as well. Is this more evidence of firmware corruption?

Yes, still corrupted, don’t waste more time with that stuff. BIOS chip I think it by the fan near the CMOS

This should be the chip. Of course it’s directly under that bar which means I may have to take the entire mobo out.

bioschip.jpg

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/…h.797563/page-3 Here’s a thread of someone flashing same chip/mobo. Going to order the tools now

That’s it! you shouldn’t have to take the board out, unless maybe that’s how that shell is made?
Doesn’t the bottom come off, and that plate/bar section come off too? You may need to remove the top cover/keyboard and remove through screws holding that panel in place from the front.

I’ve already disassembled it down to just Mobo remaining several times so a few more screws will be no biggie. I just hope it will complete without needing to remove/resolder the chip! Programmer should come tomorrow (Thursday)

With the test clip cable no soldering is needed. Here is two recent posts where I tried to explain how to connect the cables and programmer etc
#85 (Multi-software package also linked here if I didn’t link you already) - InsydeH2O BIOS Modding Problems (6)
#218 - [Guide] Using CH341A-based programmer to flash SPI EEPROM (15)

I’ve got the programmer and everything ready to go. I’ve read the chip but not sure how to verify its a good dump? 1.31 from that pack of files you linked in another thread seems to be working

Edit: re-opened 1.31 and opened file and it verified same. Here’s the dump.

dump.rar (5.27 MB)

@Lost_N_BIOS ping :smiley:

Follow the Engine CleanUp Guide on your SPI dump (dump.bin) and flash result (outimage.bin) back via the programmer.

@plutomaniac
So I’ve got some errors that aren’t covered in the guide. First is the ME analyzer. (Pics attached) Then some warnings with FIT when opening the dump.

If I press ahead with instructions, I my decomp folder isn’t as it should be.

Edit: Disregard the ME Analyzer. I dont get any error if I drag the whole dump there. I’m still concerned with the FIT errors and decomp contents.

meanalyzer.png

FITerror.png

decomp.png

UPDATE:

I restarted from scratch and the files in decomp were as they were supposed to be so I proceeded. I finished the steps, reassembled, hit power. Beep beep beep…8 of them. My heart sank. A quick google was 8 beeps was for video. I reseated the laptop monitor cable to mobo, and BAM, it came online!

Intel Managemet Engine was sitting pretty in device manager and it shut down on command.

HUGE thanks to @plutomaniac and @Lost_N_BIOS for all the help!

Great you were able to fix this yourself @Mofoist great job!!
Apologies that I missed being here while you first stressed out working on the BIOS, but glad you eventually got it all sorted!

@plutomaniac I should be able to share the repaired bin with people with the same model/configuration of my laptop correct?

Yes, but it may have your board specifics, which they would need to swap in their own (Serial, asset tag, service tag, LAN MAC ID etc)

That’s what I thought I had read somewhere. Since Dell’s own update did this there are people asking for the repaired bin. I just linked them to the process I followed.

@Mofoist - Or, they can use tools (Del DST CD) post recovery, just posted a link for someone a few days ago
8470p 8570p bios moding tools

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS.
I do have the same issue as he mentioned and I’m about to follow the exact process he showed but why do I need to reprogram the system service tag?

@plutomaniac Windows Defender is going crazy with virus detects on ME Analyzer btw

@Adel If you pull your own .bin file from your own motherboard and follow the guide, you don’t have to reprogram anything if that’s what you’re asking. You just have to dump the chip, clean it starting with section D2 of the guide, flash it and you’re done.

@Mofoist Thanks for the clarifications. I’m kinda lost in the guides here though. Could you please post the exact steps along with links to the guides without having to reprogram anything?

Pardon my ignorance as the words “pull your own .bin file”, “dump the chip” “clean it with section D2 of the guide (which guide?)” and “flash it” are not obvious to some people (including me).

I’m pretty sure there are many people here and there facing the same problem as you had and we would appriciate it if you clear things up.