Intel ME not responsive or showing in device manager

Using an Alienware 17R3. ME was screwed up with a BIOS update months ago. I’ve updated drivers countless times. FWupdlcl64 attempts at flashing gives Error 8743: Unknown or Unsupported Platform Cannot locate hardware platform identification This program cannot be run on the current platform. Clearing CMOS didn’t help.

I’ve gone pretty much past my knowledge level and am fairly convinced that the actual firmware is corrupted but I don’t have a means of flashing it with anything updated since I’m totally locked out with FWupd.

I’ve tried AFUwin64 but it’s a little past my skillset and I havent been able to figure out a way to flash the ME successfully yet.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Here’s MEinfo results…

ntel(R) MEInfo Version: 11.8.55.3510
Copyright(C) 2005 - 2017, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Windows OS Version : 10.0

Table Type 54 ( 0x 36 ) found, size of 0 (0x 00 ) bytes
Table Type 218 ( 0x DA ) found, size of 253 (0x FD ) bytes
Table Type 218 ( 0x DA ) found, size of 85 (0x 55 ) bytes
Table Type 0 ( 0x 00 ) found, size of 52 (0x 34 ) bytes
Table Type 1 ( 0x 01 ) found, size of 83 (0x 53 ) bytes
Table Type 2 ( 0x 02 ) found, size of 78 (0x 4E ) bytes
Table Type 3 ( 0x 03 ) found, size of 55 (0x 37 ) bytes
Table Type 4 ( 0x 04 ) found, size of 186 (0x BA ) bytes
Table Type 7 ( 0x 07 ) found, size of 29 (0x 1D ) bytes
Table Type 8 ( 0x 08 ) found, size of 24 (0x 18 ) bytes
Table Type 9 ( 0x 09 ) found, size of 23 (0x 17 ) bytes
Table Type 10 ( 0x 0A ) found, size of 44 (0x 2C ) bytes
Table Type 11 ( 0x 0B ) found, size of 154 (0x 9A ) bytes
Table Type 12 ( 0x 0C ) found, size of 121 (0x 79 ) bytes
Table Type 13 ( 0x 0D ) found, size of 39 (0x 27 ) bytes
Table Type 14 ( 0x 0E ) found, size of 14 (0x 0E ) bytes
Table Type 218 ( 0x DA ) found, size of 253 (0x FD ) bytes
Table Type 218 ( 0x DA ) found, size of 85 (0x 55 ) bytes
Table Type 0 ( 0x 00 ) found, size of 52 (0x 34 ) bytes
Table Type 1 ( 0x 01 ) found, size of 83 (0x 53 ) bytes
Table Type 2 ( 0x 02 ) found, size of 78 (0x 4E ) bytes
Table Type 3 ( 0x 03 ) found, size of 55 (0x 37 ) bytes
Table Type 4 ( 0x 04 ) found, size of 186 (0x BA ) bytes
Table Type 7 ( 0x 07 ) found, size of 29 (0x 1D ) bytes
Table Type 8 ( 0x 08 ) found, size of 24 (0x 18 ) bytes
Table Type 9 ( 0x 09 ) found, size of 23 (0x 17 ) bytes
Table Type 10 ( 0x 0A ) found, size of 44 (0x 2C ) bytes
Table Type 11 ( 0x 0B ) found, size of 154 (0x 9A ) bytes
Table Type 12 ( 0x 0C ) found, size of 121 (0x 79 ) bytes
Table Type 13 ( 0x 0D ) found, size of 39 (0x 27 ) bytes
Table Type 14 ( 0x 0E ) found, size of 14 (0x 0E ) bytes
Table Type 14 ( 0x 0E ) found, size of 40 (0x 28 ) bytes
Table Type 16 ( 0x 10 ) found, size of 25 (0x 19 ) bytes
Table Type 17 ( 0x 11 ) found, size of 112 (0x 70 ) bytes
Table Type 19 ( 0x 13 ) found, size of 33 (0x 21 ) bytes
Table Type 20 ( 0x 14 ) found, size of 37 (0x 25 ) bytes
Table Type 21 ( 0x 15 ) found, size of 9 (0x 09 ) bytes
Table Type 22 ( 0x 16 ) found, size of 151 (0x 97 ) bytes
Table Type 32 ( 0x 20 ) found, size of 22 (0x 16 ) bytes
Table Type 41 ( 0x 29 ) found, size of 26 (0x 1A ) bytes
Table Type 136 ( 0x 88 ) found, size of 8 (0x 08 ) bytes
Table Type 176 ( 0x B0 ) found, size of 7 (0x 07 ) bytes
Table Type 177 ( 0x B1 ) found, size of 14 (0x 0E ) bytes
Table Type 208 ( 0x D0 ) found, size of 54 (0x 36 ) bytes
Table Type 212 ( 0x D4 ) found, size of 19 (0x 13 ) bytes
Table Type 216 ( 0x D8 ) found, size of 11 (0x 0B ) bytes
FW Status Register1: 0x8030404E
FW Status Register2: 0x340D0006
FW Status Register3: 0x00000420
FW Status Register4: 0x00000000
FW Status Register5: 0x00000000
FW Status Register6: 0x00000000

CurrentState: Unknown (14)
ManufacturingMode: Disabled
FlashPartition: Valid
OperationalState: CM0 with UMA
InitComplete: Initializing
BUPLoadState: Success
ErrorCode: Debug Error
ModeOfOperation: Normal
SPI Flash Log: Not Present
FPF HW Source value: FPF HW Not Set
ME FPF Fusing Patch Status: ME FPF Fusing patch NOT supported in this FW Version
Phase: BringUp
ICC: Valid OEM data, ICC programmed
ME File System Corrupted: No
PhaseStatus: CHECK_BUP_OVERRIDE_STRAP
FPF and ME Config Status: Not committed

Error 86: Communication error between application and Intel(R) ME module (FWU client)

Error 81: Internal error (Could not determine FW features information)

Are you sure that is correct MEInfo and FW Update tool for the ME version in the BIOS? And are you sure you have the correct driver installed?

Did you do the BIOS flash twice? It says you should, to update ME What BIOS version are you using?
I checked 1.6.1 and it has ME 11.8.55, but it’s possible you never updated ME on last BIOS update, so it could be stuck at an older version, I would try MEInfoWin and FW update from V10 Intel System Tools package too in case ME is not V11 yet.
Latest versions of Intel System tools is here in section C, download V10 and V11 - Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

From the V11 package, at Intel Flash Programming Tool >> Win32 select that Win32 folder, hold shift and press right click, select open command window here.
Then run all three commands below one at a time, show me images of each separately if error or if complete, and then zip up all files created and upload to file host for me to check
FPTw -d BIOS.bin
FPTw -me -d MEReg.bin
FPTw -desc -d FD.bin

Do you have a flash programmer (hardware) like CH341A or other, along with SOIC8 test clip cable? If not, you may have to pinmod (Section E here) the board to flash the ME, if it’s corrupted. Or maybe you have a ME/Service, FD/FDO etc two-pin jumper on your board (Check please)

I am not sure, Hopefully more info will give us this answer or [b]plutomaniac[b] can say for sure from above info.

Corrupted CSME. Check if Flash Descriptor is unlocked or unlock it manually. Follow the CleanUp Guide on your dump and re-flash the firmware to repair.

I guess I’m jumping in to the deep end with pluto’s dump and clean advice…

Locked.JPG

FD.JPG

First 2 were a no go.

Here is the FD.bin

Edit: opened the laptop up, I’ve got the CA0132 from Creative onboard. Searching for a pinout…let me know if anyone has something.

creative.JPG

FD.rar (405 Bytes)

If you have warranty, I suggest you use it. Otherwise, try to update the BIOS to the latest version and then set its settings to default. Try a “fptw -greset” via Flash Programming Tool. If nothing helps so far, you’ll need to try the other methods to unlock the FD in order to service the CSME firmware.

No warranty. BIOS up to date… Did a -GRESET successfully but I’m not sure what that will help?

Not sure if you were implying a pinmod would not work with that audio chip?

Well I’m stuck. I have searched all day and can’t find a pin layout for that CA0132 audio chip to perform a pinmod on it.

LostinBIOS, I’ve tried both the V10 and V11 system tools, MEinfo won’t work on either. I checked the board and I didn’t notice any FD type jumpers either. I’ll take 1 more look tomorrow just to be sure but it looks like I’m dead in the water until I can figure out what pins are what.

MEInfo wont work because ME is corrupted, you’ll have to find that pinout, or purchase a CH341A flash programmer and SOIC8 test clip cable.
Yes, probably no jumpers if this is a laptop, sorry about that.

Try this latest stock BIOS, flash then reboot and flash again to reflash latest Intel ME. If still no luck, then I will modify this BIOS for you to try again
https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER0510811…_17R3_1.6.1.EXE

My computer fails to shut down and hangs thanks to ME. Simply running the BIOS EXE attempts to shut computer down then hangs. After a forced shutdown it’s as if you never ran it.

On the other hand, you can flash it via the boot menu and a flash drive. I’ve done that 4 times in a row but each time it only flashed the main and boot blocks.

I’ve also attempted and flashed main boot and nvram using AFU but no luck with the ME.

That’s with the latest version I linked above? Main, boot block, and nvram do not need addressed for this issue so you don’t need to keep trying to update those if you’re already on latest.

Try this rebuilt exe, from boot menu/flash drive, this should hopefully flash the ME only
Never mind, I see this uses FWupdlcl utility to flash the ME, due to corrupted ME this isn’t going to work, so scrapped idea

If that fails, here is second package, this is from the included stock files from the EXE, AMI Flash utility is used but I cannot find version , but maybe this will help you if you already know a working AFUwin/AFUWinGUI version
Here is the stock flash command >> /p /b /k1 /meul /capsule /notaver=01.05.00

Here is ME only switch >> /meul

The stock files, use FWupdlcl 11.8.55.3510 version and exact same ME FW version too, I can send you those files, but pretty much useless as far as FW Update tool.

FWupdlcl-11.8.png

Stock11.8ME-unconfig.png

You have to use FPT wth unlocked FD to fix this, so that’s either done via jumper, or pinmod *Section E here, or with hardware flash programmer.
If you do unlock the FD, and plan to use FPT to flash the ME, you’ll need to first dump your current ME or entire BIOS via FPT, and use the cleanup guide to update the ME and transfer current ME settings into the stock image
As of now the stock included ME.bin does not have settings in it, since this was intended to be used with FW Update tool which does not need those bec3ause they are carried over from current during the update process.
[Guide] Clean Dumped Intel Engine (CS)ME/(CS)TXE Regions with Data Initialization

Did you already check the board for two-pin jumpers? If yes, and didn’t find any, then the only option is pinmod or purchase a flash programmer and SOIC8 test clip cable.

Without a pinout you cannot perform HDA_SDO so your other options are E5, E6 or E7.

I just checked the board thoroughly and there are no jumpers anywhere. Looks like I’m down to a physical programmer being my only option.

E5 and E6 are not jumper-related. You can easily rule out E5 by checking the BIOS and E6 can be tried before using a programmer. The choice is yours.

Plutomaniac - if I do E5/E6 mod for him, and BIOS package uses AMI tools, to call up FW Update tool to reflash ME, that will fail as well correct?
I assume so, that’s why I have not sent him BIOS for E5 method, Re-Flash and Local FW Update is there and I can edit, but stock BIOS flash package uses FW Update tool to flash ME FW. Would editing those in BIOS allow FPT to be used, or that still locked by FD?

We never care what the OEM uses, the goal is to unlock the FD and follow our own steps. Unlock, clean, fpt reflash, done.

That’s funny right there about OEM! I hear ya! I just assumed FPT would be blocked no matter what I mod in the BIOS regarding E5/E6, due to FD locked, that is why I was thinking the stock OEM flashing procedure since it updates ME (via FW Updater, which cannot function here)
But yes, if he can unlock FD, we’ll be good to go… until we hit error 25 PRR and I cant find that one in his BIOS, it never ends

Unlock that FD @Mofoist I cannot find any datasheet from this company!
Found one site, here login to download PDF, so I find login info at bugmenot and then after login the PDF link becomes plain text
https://www.jotrin.com/product/parts/CA0132_4AN

Was just thinking forward…

Even if we get the datasheet, the pinmod method may not work.

Check this vid starting at 3:00. To get to the audio chip I have to remove the palmrest/keyboard along with all those cables. I don’t think the I’ll be able to perform the pinmod and have the laptop operational at the same time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46De6dX9Sfg

And yeah I found that site and a few others that offer the “datasheet” only for it to disappear when you register.

I’m leaning towards buying the hardware to flash with. I dont want to keep tearing this thing apart unnecessarily (cheap plastic breaks eventually)…without a doubt I’ll be using the CH341A flash programmer and SOIC8 test clip cable right @Lost_N_Bios ?

Yes, you would have to have things apart and plugged in at funky angles, it could be done though with enough gusto
Probably best to wait to tear it down until you have the programmer, especially since we can’t find datasheet anyway. Yes, you’ll need CH341A or other flash programmer and SOIC8 test clip cable,
BIOS is usually near the CMOS battery but not always. It’s also almost always on that side of the board too, so you should be only have to remove the bottom only. Not a good or still enough view in that video to confirm it’s location

@Lost_N_BIOS

I took a bunch of pictures of everything that was the size of a BIOS chip but here is a new development:

I did a last ditch uninstall of all “Intel” programs and uninstalled/reinstalled all chipset drivers. After I uninstalled/reinstalled my intel integrated graphics, a “Legacy Device” popped up in System Devices. I checked the ID and it’s the ME controller!

I’m currently trying to install different versions of drivers to it via have disk but I keep getting a code 10 with The I/O device is configured incorrectly or the configuration parameters to the driver are incorrect.

Here’s the legacy before I manually try to assign drivers…

a13a.JPG