Intel RST EFI RAID/VMD BIOS Modules

Yes, that is the latest Intel RST “RaidDriver” version.

The link for this is incorrect in the first post.

@kathampy :
Thanks for the info.
All links should now work again.

Intel RSTe & VROC 6.0.0.1024 complete PreOS pack in case anyone should need it.

PreOS-1024.zip (929 KB)

I can confirm this. GopDriver 9.0.1082 and 9.0.1084 did not work for i7-6700+Z170. So first post should be corrected since it offers 1084 for Skylake/Kabylake

@o12530331 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report.

Done!
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Intel RST RAID 17.0.1.3764
8086-2822 Intel RST RAID 17.3.0.3758

RST.rar (158 KB)

@all:
Update of the start post
Changelog:

• new: “pure” Intel RST EFI “RaidDriver” v17.0.1.3764 without header (for DEV_2822 Intel SATA RAID Controllers)

Notes:
The Intel RST RAID ROM/EFI RaidDriver BIOS modules from the v17 platform have been designed for Intel 300-Series Chipsets and should only be used in combination with an Intel RST v17 platform RAID driver. It has to be tested, whether this module supports 100-/200-Series Chipset RAID systems.
Thanks to plutomaniac for the source FFS file.

Good luck with the updated Intel EFI RAID module!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello!

I’m new to the forum. Thank you for all the EXTREMELY useful information, guides, and very latest BIOS and driver modules etc.
Thank you for all your hard work helping us others!

I am apologizing advance if I am posting and asking these questions in the wrong place. If so, please direct me to the right thread/section where I should post…

ok here we go:

I have spent hours reading downloading and testing but still have a few questions for my specific situation and hope some of someone can help me.

I have an ASUS rampage VI Extreme MB which is obviously X299 based.
currently it is set up in VROC (of 4 intel Raided Optane drives) using BIOS 1704 (latest official) containing the now very old RSTe RAID ROM v5.4.0.1039 BIOS module and driver (I think)
I also have a few SSDs connected over SATA (not RAID-ed) and two m.2 drives in software RAID. Still I want the system optimized for VROC RAID.

I am considering trying to replace the old v5.4.0.1039 modules and move to v6.0.0.1024 because I still get system lockups (which cause, I have traced back to the VROC RAID)

First is this is good idea? or should I wait for a more stable version? some other reason I should not this?

Second, if you agree it’s a good idea to try, which modules should I use? I have downloaded the 8086-2826 Intel RSTe RAID 6.0.0.1024 BIOS module AND Intel RSTe EFI SATA “RaidDriver” v6.0.0.1024 for DEV_2826 (without header). is this right? There are also the sSATA version DEV_2827

Should I simply run the UBU v1.70.rc20.1 tool, place the RAID 6.0.0.1024 BIOS module and the Intel RSTe EFI SATA “RaidDriver” v6.0.0.1024 (.efi) driver module (2826 or is it the 2827?) in the C:\UBU\Files\intel\RSTe directory, Select 1 Disk Controller at the second screen and the hope UBU updates the right “things”? Does it?

I also thought of using the MMTool 5.2.0.24 Mod (replace function) and have located the RaidDriver Volume/index row having a GUID starting with 91B4D9C1. This way I updated the driver but, how do I then update the BIOS module?

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Apologize again if I posted in the wrong place.

Here are the images from the UBU tool of the 1704 BIOS before attempting to update anything.

1704 BIOS 1 - Copy.PNG

1704 BIOS 2 - Copy.PNG

@Int8ldr :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

No, it would not be a good idea to replace the stock Intel RST RAID BIOS modules v16.5.0.3492 by any Intel RSTe RAID BIOS module, which belong to the v5 or v6 platform.
Furthermore I doubt, that an update of the original BIOS RAID modules would make any sense for your system, because they don’t seem to be in use. Furthermore the v
As far as I understood your post, you have successfully created an Intel® “Virtual RAID on CPU” (VROC) from within the mainboard BIOS and no Intel RST or RSTe RAID array by using the related Intel RST/RSTe RAID Controller Utility.

To be sure about it, please run the Device Manager, expand the “Storage Controllers” section and look for listed Intel Controllers with the Word “RAID” in it.
If you should find any, please post the exact name, the in-use driver (right-click onto it > “Properties” > “Driver”) and the HardwareIDs of it/them (right-click onto it > “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Dieter,

Thank you for your rapid response! and thank you for your warm welcome!

You are right that I am actually not using the bios RST(e) RAID, but instead I am using (I think) the VROC module combined with normal RST SATA (and software RAID). There were some limitations in the ASUS BIOS when I set up my system, where I was not been able to enable BOTH the H/W RST RAID (for m.2 drives) AND VROC at the same time… long messy story (not to mention the VROC key saga). Maybe I should go back and try again now (it was almost a year since I initially set up this system and created the VROC) and see if i can set up the H/W RAID with VROC at the same time now…

Anyway, here are the screen captures of the two Storage Controllers from device manager:

VROC: as you can see it’s H/W id is: DEV_201D

RAID HW ids - Copy.PNG

SATA: as you can see it’s H/W id is: DEV_2822 (i beleive this means plain vanilla RST SATA)

SATA-PCIe  RST HW ids - Copy.PNG

Still, should I get to a newer (hopefully more stable) VROC BIOS ROM/driver module somehow to improve the stability…?

Is there a VROC module in the Intel RST RAID ROM v17.3.0.3758 BIOS module? (since that is the latest package for DEV_2822).

Thank you so much for your support!

According to my knowledge a specific Intel VROC RAID BIOS module doesn’t exist.

I don’t know, because I haven’t yet seen that Intel RST RAID BIOS module. Do you have a link?

Ok, maybe 3758 is too new but 3720 have been out for a while and is posted here: AHCI & RAID ROM Modules. So do you know, if there is a VROC “functionality” (loosely speaking) inside the Intel RST RAID ROM v17.0.0.3720 BIOS module (OROM+driver)?

Thank you so much for your time!

Where have you seen that version? I would rather like to get and offer it within the start post of this thread.

I don’t know it, because I haven’t yet looked into the code.

Ok I have a moded ASUS R6E BIOS 1704 upgraded to 17.0.0.3720 and a few more things (Ethernet etc) that works for a few more people (not using VROC though).
I guess I’ll try and see where it goes. I’m a bit nervous to crash the rig though… Well the system have two independent BIOS chips I can dip switch between so I guess I am somewhat protected…

Thanks again for your answers and help!

I updated the EFI raiddriver/satadriver to a much newer version, the original was around 140kb~ and the new one, which I updated using UBU, was around 200kb. This shouldn’t cause an issue should it?
It seems to have updated without error but from past (bricking) experiences with this laptop, when I tried to update the modules before it completely bricked the laptop with a CPU failure error code on the lights, I fixed this by restoring a previous backup flash. During this I also disabled the flash descriptor permanently and unlocked most of the performance options.

EDIT by Fernando: This post has been copied from another not matching thread.

@Noezy :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

As long as the UBU tool doesn’t give you an error message, the size of the desired BIOS module doesn’t matter.
Another question is, whether the updated EFI RaidDriver BIOS module will work with your specific system.
Question: Why do you want to update the Intel RST RaidDriver at all?
Note: This module will only be used by the system, if the Intel SATA Controller is running in RAID mode.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I have 2 sata-based m.2 drives that I was thinking about putting into a 2xm.2 to sata adapter to replace the current single SSD the laptop holds. I am aware the bandwidth will be limited to the single port but the Raiddriver that is integrated into the latest Dell bios is very out-of-date, I don’t think Dell have ever updated the module since its running on a very early v11 rst driver.

@Noezy :
Which chipset has your Dell system?
Newer doesn’t always mean “better”, especially regarding the Intel RAID BIOS modules.

Its using the 7-series chipset.