Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.1.0.1015/ v9.0.0.1836)

Hi, ive been kinda racking my brain a bit. I recently upgraded to windows 10 with an existing raid 0 array.
When trying to load My RST pre-installed application in windows 10 i received the following error.

""An unknown error occurred while running this application. If the problem persists, please restart your computer or try reinstalling the application""

Software version RST 11.6.0.1030
Driver version Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller 13.2.0.1022

I assume Windows 10 updated my Raid driver automatically and this is why my Bundled Raid software broke.
I Initially tried to re-install my bundled RST software but it wanted to overwrite the newer raid Drivers windows installed So i decided to download the latest RST 14.xxxx. The install went smooth but on restart PC was not bootable, Used system Restore to make bootable again.

Only thing i have done so far is disable windows automatic driver update, mainly because it kept breaking my audio drivers another story all together. I have Uninstalled the old RST 11.6.0.1030 manager app.

I guess my main question is What RST version do i need to install to get back functionality, does it require downgrade from windows inbox driver Or do i call it good and not bother with trying to get the RST software back? Any help much appreciated.

System specs Asus rampage iii formula X58/ICH10R
i7 950
2 tb Raid 0

bump

rst(e) v4.3 is the the first raid driver that doesn’t make my seagate constellation es drives continually load/unload.

For some reason when these drives are not in raid the load/unload count does not go up, but once in raid 1, they start to head click no matter what setting i changed, it would still happen. The APM setting are grayed out so i couldnt alter that option.

Can anyone else confirm the stop of head clicking with these new drivers?

@ MadOblivion:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
I am sorry about my late reply, but I was travelling the last 3 days and was not able to answer any Forum question.

This is exactly what happened.

It was a good idea to uninstall the formerly used Intel RST Software, because it didn’t match the Win10 in-box Intel RAID driver.

If I were you, I would install the Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set v11.7.4.1001 WHQL and to “downgrade” this way the currently running Intel RAID driver v13.2.0.1022 to a version, which natively fully supports the Intel X58 Chipset.
Question: Which Intel RAID ROM version is within your BIOS?
The best matching would be v11.6.0.1702.

@ edlee:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your contribution!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando, The latest Rom offered by Asus for the Rampage III Formula and the one i currently run is 10.5.0.1034.

And this is the version your Intel RAID Utility is using?
If yes, I recommend to update it.

Yes the Raid option Rom version on boot up. this is the latest Bios for my board http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1…a-ASUS-0903.zip

What is the easiest way to go about this?

edit… will this erase my current raid setup? I just installed a new o.s. not sure if i want to do that again right away lol

Unzip the BIOS and open it by using the AMI MMTool v3.26.
Then you can update the Intel RAID ROM module according >this< guide.

This would require me to setup the raid again i imagine, wiping the os?

No, neither a recreation of the RAID array nor a fresh OS installation will be required.
After having flashed the BIOS, which contains the updated Intel RAID ROM, you only need to re-enable the “RAID” mode of the Intel SATA Controller and your current RAID array will work again.

So ill flash to v11.6.0.1702 ROM just to confim and upgrade to v11.7.4.1001 driver/software

Yes, but the installation of the Intel RST(e) RAID driver v11.7.4.1001 would be a “downgrade”, because the OS is currently using the v13.2.0.1022 RAID driver.
Dont forget to save all your important data, before you start.

should i get the modified version of the rom? Trim is enabled on current rom.

The software for the RST 11.7.4.1001 gave me BSOD upon reboot.Its Related to the RST Software and not the driver,After i uninstalled the RST manager program the bsod’s stopped. Something to do with the windows 10 install as the software previously functioned on win 7 perfectly fine.

I ran several benchmarks on just the 11.7.4.1001, 13.2.0.1022 and driver 11.6.0.1030 the last driver intel recommended for my chipset before intel dropped support.

Tested with recently installed 11.6.0.1702. RAID ROM
Driver performance
!-- 11.6.0.1030 Best reads/writes crystaldiskmark Least variation between repeated bench runs
2–11.7.4.1001 Read speed identical to 11.6.0.1030 Write speeds worst out of the three
3–13.2.0.1022 Write speeds close to 11.6.0.1030 but inconsistent, Read speeds as bad as 11.7.4.1001 write speed

Seems the original driver i had on windows 7 is the best choice.

The RST manager software shoots BSODs for every driver tested when installed. Windows 10 is conflicting in someway.

Yes.

TRIM may be enabled by the OS, but I doubt, that it passes the Intel SATA RAID Controller into the RAID0 array while using the original Intel RAID ROM module of the BIOS, which has been delivered by the mainboard manufacturer.

Are you running a fresh installed Win10 or an upgraded version of the OS?
Did you additionally install .NET Framework 3.5, which is required for a proper installation of the RST Software?

You should never do a manual Intel RAID driver installation, while any Intel RST Software is running in the background!
As long as you want to use the Intel RST Software, this is the only way to get the Intel RAID driver changed properly:
1. Uninstall the currently running Intel RST Software from within the Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs).
2. Reboot.
3. Run the installer of the desired Intel RST Drivers & Software Set.
4. Reboot (sometimes a second reboot may be required to complete the installation).
When you just want to compare the performance of different Intel RAID drivers or want to get rid of the Intel RST Software at all (what I prefer), you should do the following:
1. Uninstall the currently running Intel RST Software from within the Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs).
2. Reboot.
3. Do a manual update or downgrade of the in-use Intel RAID driver from within the Device Manager (a “downgrade” always requires the use of the “Have Disk” button and pointing at the Intel RAID driver INF file named iaStorAC.inf).
4. Reboot (sometimes a second reboot may be required to complete the installation)

1. It was a windows upgrade from 7. I did notice the RTS packages install some version of windows framework or files relating to framework why would it not install 3.5 if it was required? If the Framework 3.5 did not carry over in the upgrade process would that indicate a incompatibility with windows 10? Should I Install framework 3.5 and give the RST software another go? Windows features indicates only part of framework 3.5 is turned on with the Square box filled in but not checked

2. I never tried installing drivers with RST software installed because of the constant BSOD the software had to be removed before trying another version of the software/driver or in worst case scenario a system restore. But with that said after RST manager’s were “uninstalled” the drivers packaged with the software functioned normally with the exception of RST 14.xxxxx not booting into windows at all requiring the system restored,that was the first driver package i tried to use when my RST software failed to load after windows 10 upgrade.

3. I noticed the system still had my Original Raid Driver stored under “have disk” so the O.S. had to have been installed on that driver . I’m not sure if this is why the 11.6 driver performs significantly better than the windows 10 13.2xxx driver.

4. Intels update utility no longer supports my chipset, Before it stopped offering my chipset updates the 11.6.0.1030 driver was the last recommended driver and to be honest seems to be the best. I noticed you did not test that specific driver in your bench runs, perhaps you can confirm my results?

You may try it, but before you start, you should check, whether any .NET Framework version is already installed. If yes, I recommend to uninstall the old version and reinstall the Win10 in-box .NET Framework variant.

The .INF files for all previously installed drivers are stored within the Windows\Inf folder. That is why all of them are available, when you are going to manually update the driver software and choose the option “Let me pick…” with checked option “Show compatible hardware”.

Not really. The v11.5 and v11.6 series drivers were the first ones with additional SCSI filter driver and not very stable. That is why I don’t count them to the “best” Intel RST/RST(e) drivers.

I uninstalled framework 3.5 and reinstalled it, it still listed as a filled box with only part of the features on. I have a feeling that won’t solve the BSOD’s in the RST manager. kinda don’t even want to attempt it unless you can assure me it wont bsod lol :frowning:

Note- after framework was uninstalled on reboot windows prompted me that some apps on my pc need framework 3.5 to run and I just installed it from the window prompt.

I cannot assure you that.

I cannot assure you that.

Ok after i gathered up some patience i went back to work on this. I am happy to say I was able to get the RST manager software installed without subsequent BSOD.

The last BSOD i received pointed to Jraid.sys which is part of Marvell/Jmicron Controller, I think i have my dvd player plugged into that controller. I went to Jmicron and downloaded the latest JMB36x driver. Problem solved.

Note- Asus offered no JMicron updates for my board beside the original driver released.