Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.1.0.1015/ v9.0.0.1836)

@ex58 :
Thanks for your post. Although there has been no real informations within it, I checked the Station-drivers site and found the below mentioned Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set and the 64bit drivers.

@ all:
Update of the start post

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit Intel RST(e) drivers v13.2.8.1002 WHQL dated 07/09/2015
  • new: Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set v13.2.8.1002 WHQL dated 12/15/2015

Notes:
  1. The included AHCI/RAID drivers are WHQL certified by Microsoft and usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up.
  2. Only Intel 8- and 9-Series Chipset systems are natively fully supported by these drivers.
  3. Thanks to Station-Drivers for having published the source package.

Meanwhile I have installed these newest Intel RST(e) drivers of the v13 line onto my Z97 AHCI system. Until now everything is running fine.
As soon as I will have the needed time, I will do some additional benchmark tests.

Good luck with these Intel AHCI and RAID drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Yea,deleted post…somehow I think is 14.8.2…

@all
@Fernando

I have a question regarding the intel RST driver software only
I know that for the Z97 chipset the recommended and most performant driver is v13.2.4.1000 :slight_smile:

Now my question is a bit tricky…
here goes:
Can I use the driver INF version 13.2.4.1000 and (let’s say) the RST Software version 14.8.x ???
In other words: INF driver version 13.2.4.1000 and the RST_x64.msi version 14.8.x ???

Thanks for your feedback!

It probably will be possible, but what do you expect from using such an RST(e) driver/software mix?
The features of the Intel RST(e) v13 and v14 series drivers are quite different and it wouldn’t make much sense for me to combine a “multipotent” software with a driver, which doesn’t support the related features.
Try it and report about your results!

It probably will be possible, but what do you expect from using such an RST(e) driver/software mix?
The features of the Intel RST(e) v13 and v14 series drivers are quite different and it wouldn’t make much sense for me to combine a "multipotent" software with a driver, which doesn’t support the related features.
Try it and report about your results!

@Fernando
Well the main reason being that the 13.2.x RST software (from the RST_x64.msi) does not get installed straight away in Win 10 x64 ==> compatibility mode is needed to get it just installed…

This got me thinking, since the system uses the 13.2.4.1000 driver for SATA AHCI driver access on hardware system level… Then using the 14.8.x software GUI as frontend, would be a logical thing to do…
Or do you think that the 14.8.x RST_x64.msi has more to it than being just "a frontend" for the driver?

That was the logic of my idea… Not knowing if it was a good idea or not…
Do you understand?

@mindwarper :

My advice: Try it and report here about the results you got.

@Fernando
when executing the RST_x64.msi from the 14.8.x software bundle, I get a strange error during install ==> permission denied to write IsOnBattery… in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorA\Parameters\Device
Then when using troubleshoot compatibility in Win 10 ==> skip version check then installer may work fine… ==> not tested actually

That actually defeats my whole purpose actually… ==> Well learned something new again lol :wink:
So in the end I decided to go with the RST_x64.msi installer of the 13.2.4.1000 set after doing the same skip version check troubleshoot compatibility in Win 10…
then it works fine :slight_smile:
Maybe when I feel like it I will try again later…

Hi Fernando,

I need a little help. I cannot find a way to install IRST on my computer. It used to work fine on Win7/Win 8.1 but now I have Standard AHCI on Windows 10 64-bit.

I downloaded the 13x 1058 file that is recommended for my chipset (board is Asrock Extreme4 Z77). I tried to install it manually in device manager and my computer froze and when I try again with either of the .inf files it says it encountered an error. I then downloaded the complete package with the software. When I try to install the software it gives me a fatal installation error.

What should I do? Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind. I have fixed it by disabling driver signatures.

Hi Fernando, many thanks for this forum and the time and work you invest in it. I found it after hours of reading other forums. Found nowhere such detailed information, especially for the problem regarding old Intel chipsets and Windows 10.
I ask some about the trouble of P45/ICH10R chipset and Windows 10/x64. Before installing Win10 I didn’t know that the driver which comes with Windows 10 (13.2.0.1022) doesn’t fully support the old Intel ICH10R chipset. I have a SSD for OS and a HDD-RAID1 for Data. System works but I have no Intel RST software which tell me something about the RAID status. With Crystal DiskInfo I can check the T.R.I.M. parameters of the hard disk (tool can deal with disks in RAID-Mode).
BIOS during startup gives information about status of the RAID. Do I only have performance loss If don’t install an older driver or will there be more disadvanteges?
With actual driver I have one minor issue: Always if the system goes into Standby (STR3) and often if the system is shut down the RAID-disks spin down and immediately spin up shortly before the system is shutting down. I think this will not be good for the hard disks long-term. What is the reason that I can’t downgrade to RST/e 11.7.4.1001 without re-installing OS with nLite built-in driver? What are the disadvantages if I use the driver 12.9.4.1000 (RST/e) instead of 11.7.4.1001?
Last question: If the RAID status from the RAID-BIOS during Boot is “OK” - does this mean that RAID function works fine and RAID1 is consistent or does this “OK” from BIOS only mean that the HDD’s for the configured RAID-array were found?
Many thanks for any help in advance.

@mge :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The loss of stability may be bigger than the loss of performance, especially regarding your Intel ICH10R RAID1 system.
Please remember, that none of Intel’s RST drivers from v12.x.x.xxxx up has been designed and optimized for the Southbridge of your system.

It should be possible to “downgrade” the natively in-use Intel RAID driver v13.2.0.1022 to the original Intel RST(e) drivers v11.7.4.1001 WHQL without the need of a fresh Win10 installation.

The best is, if you find them out yourself by testing them both (don’t forget to uninstall the related Intel RST Software, before you change the driver version).

The status “OK” shown by the Intel RST RAID Utility (CTRL+I) means, that the health of the previously created RAID array is detected as being fine (the array is fully available and no array member has been degraded).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@ Fernando:
Thanks for your response.
I’m sorry, I Have mixed something up regarding the previous RST driver version:
The question should have been: What is the reason that I can’t downgrade to RST/e 11.2.0.1006 without re-installing OS with nLite built-in driver?
I believe the answer is, that this version is an MSM and no RST(e) driver.
If I don’t want to reinstall: Will 11.7.4.1001 be the best compromise for ICH10R and Win10/x64 (stability, performance)?

No, the answer is, that the “conventional” Intel RST drivers (latest: v11.2.0.1006) don’t use/need an additional SCSI Filter driver named iaStorF.sys.

Yes.

If I don’t want to reinstall: Will 11.7.4.1001 be the best compromise for ICH10R and Win10/x64 (stability, performance)?
Yes.

With 11.7.4.1001 everything works fine except this issue with RAID-HDD’s spin down an up before PC shut’s down (always when using standby mode).
The diver installed from Windows 10/x64 had the same problem.
In the Intel Forum I found that some users had solved this issue with 11.7.0.1013.
Do you know this issue (spin down and up before shut down)? If yes: Do you know any other solution (Windows or BIOS parameter)?
Thanks for your help!

Amendment:
Tested it with 11.7.0.1013 - but nothing changed. HDD’s spin down and up before shutting down to standby mode.
Changing the setting for HDD switch off to never in energy options doesn’t change anything, too.
Does anyone have an idea related to this issue?
Many thanks!

Found V13.6.0.1002 for my Z97 on the intel download site

13.6.0.1002.png

Hello Fernando? Or is it Dieter?

I just subscribed to ask this question.
I have a Gigabyte motherboard: x48t-DQ6 (yeah I know it’s old) And it has a ICH9 chipset. (Cpuz reports 82801IR (ICH9r). I use it only in AHCI-mode with some SSD’s and the 1 HDD.
I wanted to improve performance, so that’s where I ran into your driver.
I’d give it a go and downloaded: 64bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL According to your post this one should be applicable for my chipset.

But upon installation, manually when i select the iaAHCI (or do I need the iaSTOR) i can choose from several chipsets.
The only ICH9 chipset though is the ICH9M-E/M controller. Not the ICH9R.
Should I still use this one for ICH9R?

@sparkion :

As you can read within the start post of this thread, Intel ICH9R Southbridge systems running in AHCI mode are natively not supported by the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 WHQL.
If you want to install the Intel RST driver v11.2.01006 nevertheless (which I recommend to do), you have to take the mod+signed variant of this driver. You can find it within the start post of >this< thread.

Since you want to install an AHCI driver, you have to choose the file named iaAHCI.inf (the iaStor.inf is only for RAID systems).

No, this would not work, because the Intel ICH9R SATA AHCI Controller has another DeviceID than the ICH9M one.
Essential for the choice of the correct one of the listed Intel SATA Controller model is the DeviceID of the in-use one. You can verify the DeviceID of your on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller by running the Device Manager, expanding the section “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers”, right-clicking onto the listed AHCI Controller (maybe named “Standard AHCI Controller” or similar) and choosing the options “Properties” > “Details” > “Property” > “HardwareIDs”. There you will see the DeviceID of the Intel ICH9R SATA AHCI Controller. It is DEV_2922.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Danke schön für das schnelle Antwort.

1 follow up question, just to be sure: Can I use these modded drivers for the windows 10 operating system (64 bit).
I ask this because i see that the alst update on that post is in 2013.

Danke schön (in advance)

Morning Fernando I would first want to say thank you for the work you do here. I religiously check your website for anything new. I was just wondering if you had time to benchmark these drivers as I also have Z97 motherboard. Thank you

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded parts of the fully quoted post removed (to save space)

Yes, but you have to import the Win-RAID CA Certificate according my guide before you can install the mod+signed driver.

@Jedimaster1125 :

I had done it already in February and have been disappointed by the performance. You can find the related benchmark results >here<.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)