Intel RST/RSTe Drivers (latest: v20.1.0.1015/ v9.0.0.1836)

All will be fine after having rebooted. The movement of the Intel sSATA AHCI Controller from the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers“ to the “Storage Controllers“ section of the Device Manager is caused by the additional SCSI settings.

Yes, if you are using as well a mainboard with an Intel X99 Chipset.

Ok, you answered a question for me back in march of 2017 when I asked what would be the best driver again for my setup which is a asrock x99 board with a 5820k and you stated 6th generation would be well suited but isn’t my processor a 5th gen not a 6th?

@jujubeans :
I don’t know the processor model your specific mainboard has and it doesn’t matter at all, when comes to the choice of the (best) matching Intel AHCI or RAID driver. The only important things are the DeviceIDs of your onboard Intel SATA Controllers and I am pretty sure, that they are identical for all X99 Chipset mainboards.

Thank you for the response Fernando. I reinstalled 14.8.16.1063, upon checking my hardware id I still see the value as DEV_8D62 and not DEV_9D03 why is this?

Who said, that it has to be DEV_9D03?
To which SATA port number is your system drive (drive C:) connected?

You can verify the HardwareIDs of your on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller by doing a right-click onto it and choosing the options "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs".
AFAIK the DeviceID of your on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller is DEV_9D03 and the name given by Intel is "Intel(R) 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI Controller".

^ This is what you stated so I am confused by this if this was written by you in march.

My boot option is listed as S-SATA3_1 Thanks.

@jujubeans :
Since I didn’t know the DeviceID of your in-use on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller (you hadn’t posted it), I simply guessed it in March and I obviously was wrong.
If you want to know the DeviceIDs of the 2 on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controllers of X99 Chipset mainboards, please look into the start post of >this< thread.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Version 15.8.2.1009 WHQL

64bit Driver Only

Update of the start post
Changelog:

• new: 64bit Intel RST(e) drivers v15.8.2.1009 WHQL for Win7-10 dated 09/15/2017

Notes:
  1. The above mentioned drivers are WHQL certified by Microsoft and usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up. Only Intel 100-Series/C230 Chipsets, 200-Series Chipsets, 300-Series Chipsets, X299 Chipsets and other Systems with an Intel Skylake or KabyLake CPU are natively supported by these drivers.
  2. 32bit drivers v14.8.2.1009 and the related complete Drivers & Software Set are not (yet) available.
  3. Thanks to Pacman resp. Station-Drivers for the source opackage.

Good luck with these new drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hello!

Can the trim work with Intel DG31PR motherboard? The BIOS doesn’ t support achi.

Southbridge: ICH7R

If you are using a modern Windows OS, TRIM will work while running in IDE mode as well.

Thank you for the answer Fernando.

Hey! :slight_smile:

The drivers that downloads and installs by windows during a fresh install of Windows 10 CFU
Are those drivers or just placeholders? or will i be fine whit just updating Chispet driver!
if not what other drivers do i need for my system to work correctly

Spec
Asus X99A USB 3.0 Edition
Intel Core i7 5820k
16Gb system RAM
Nvidia Gtx 1080 TI
SSD 2
SSHD 2
HDD 2

Thx!

The big majority of them are generic MS in-box drivers.

As long as the Device Manager doesn’t show any yellow flagged device (“missing driver”), there is no need to install the related Intel Chipset Device INF files (they are just text files and no real drivers).

Provided, that your Device Manager is “clean” (no “missing drivers” or “cannot start” messages), your system is running correctly (as it should). Another question is, whether you are really satified with a system, which just “works correctly”. If you want to use the “best” ones among the available storage drivers, I recommend to look into the start posts of >this< (general) and >this< (X99 specific) thread.

Hello Again guys i have Asus rampage V X99 who is the best version for my motheboard?i have maybe 14.8.2

Up until recently, I’ve ran the RSTe 4 series drivers on my Z170 board. I do this because the enterprise drivers seem to play nice with my HDD load/unload. That is, when using the 14/15 brand RST the hard drive excessively load/unload (SMART count skyrockets). When running the RSTe driver it does not do this.

However, starting with the 5.2 (and with 5.3) the RSTe driver seems to have the same excessive head loading/unloading that the normal RST drivers have. I rolled back to 4.6 and it goes away again. Something has changed.

What even makes this more bizzare is that only one of my hard drives are impacted by this. ie One does not experience an increased load/unload on 5.2 and the other one does. After catching up reading on this thread (https://communities.intel.com/message/414078#414078) it seems some people are suggesting APM has a degree to it which might indicate why some drives are more impacted by others.

Intel seems to have stopped responding to this thread. Do we have any more information on it? My OS is Windows 1709.

@WRBDC :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your report!
Your find, that not all your HDDs/SSDs were affected by the issue, indicates, that it is the interaction of a specific storage disk drive model and a specific storage driver, which provokes the issue.
By the way: I have never had your described problems with any of my various desktop and mobile sytems and I have tested nearly all available Intel AHCI and RAID drivers with them.
My tip: Try the Intel RST(e) drivers v13.2.8.1002 and report your results.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Update of the start post
Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit Intel RST(e) drivers v15.7.6.1027 WHQL for Win7-10 dated 09/26/2017
  • new: Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set v15.7.6.1027 WHQL dated 10/03/2017

Notes:
  1. The above mentioned drivers are WHQL certified by Microsoft and usable with all Windows Operating Systems from Win7 up. Only the newest Intel Chipsets from 100-Series up (incl. X299) are natively supported by these drivers.
  2. Thanks to Pacman resp. Station-Drivers for the source package.

Good luck with these new drivers!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando

Thank you for the suggestion. Using Device Manager, I uninstalled each storage controller driver, selecting delete package, then rebooting. I continued until I was back to the default Windows 10 Standard AHCI driver.
When I attempted to install the driver you recommended using the update driver option and pointing to the folder, selecting search sub folders, the system says the best driver is already installed.
If I use the have disk option and selecting the inf file, I see Intel 8 series, Intel 8 Series/C220, and Intel 9 series SATA AHCI controller drivers. Note, I am using a 170 board.
I then downloaded (but did not install) the v14.8.16.1063 WHQL drivers and when using have disk I see Intel 100 Series/C230 chipset.

Thanks.

@WRBCD:
If you want to install an Intel AHCI driver, which natively does not support your specific chipset, you should install the mod+signed variant of it. But don’t forget to import the Certificate of the Win-RAID CA signature, before you do it.
By the way - this is the easiest way to return to the in-box MS AHCI driver:
1. Open the “IDE ATA /ATAPI Controllers” section of the Device Manager.
2. Right-click onto the listed Intel SATA AHCI Controller (may have another name) and choose the options “Update driver software” > “Browse my computer…” > “Let me pick…”.
3. Provided, that the option “Show compatible devices” is checked, you will see the “Standard SATA AHCI Controller”. Click onto it and press the “Continue” button.
4. After the reboot your Intel SATA AHCI Controller will use the generic MS AHCI driver.