Kaby Lake on a Coffee Lake 3xx chipset motherboard?

I have an HTPC with a Pentium G4620 Kaby Lake CPU that I’d like to get working with 4K60 on the IGP. For that, I require DisplayPort as the IGP doesn’t do HDMI 2.0b. Used Coffee Lake 3xx chipset motherboards w/DisplayPort cost less than 2xx and 1xx chipset boards for some reason. Coffee Lake boards also have nice features like M.2 slots which I could really use. I’ve done the Coffee Lake on a Skylake motherboard BIOS hack. Can the reverse be done - get Kaby Lake working on a B360 for example? The CPU is more than enough for my needs so I really don’t want to have to upgrade it.

yes, coffeetime shows you which MEs work

edit: see next post

@GnatGoSplat Only 22nm chipsets with ME FW v11.6.x or v11.7.1xxx (Z370, H310C, B365) and some features may not work e.g. XMP, overclocking, turbo

These 10 motherboards were tested here;

1. Asus PRIME Z370-A
SOP-8 test clip required with programmer.
Test results: 7th/6th generation test passed, turbo is normal.
XMP function is invalid, overclocking function is invalid.

2. Asus TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING

3. MSI Z370-A PRO
Dedicated SPI interface to flash modified BIOS with programmer.

4. MSI Z370 GAMING M5
This is the only motherboard that does not need to use a programmer.
Although the motherboard also has a SPI interface, there is a Flash Back button above the memory slot, next to a distinctive vertical installed USB interface.
Just modify the ROM file you want to use, change name to MSI.ROM, put it onto the USB stick, insert it into that unique USB interface, press the switch next to the memory slot for 3 seconds.
Test results: 7th/6th generation test passed.

5. MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS
Dedicated SPI interface to flash modified BIOS.
XMP function fails (on will restart repeatedly), overclock function fails, turbo is normal.

6. MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Dedicated SPI interface to flash modified BIOS.
XMP function fails (on will restart repeatedly), overclock function fails, turbo is normal.

7. Gigabyte Z370 AORUS GAMING 7
XMP function temporarily tested for 3000 normal, did not test above, overclocking function did not test.

8. Gigabyte Z370 HD3
8700K XMP function temporarily tested for 3000 normal (7 generations no test), and then no test, overclocking function did not test.

9. ASRock Z370 Taichi
XMP load greater than 2666 will restart.

10. Colorful iGAME Z370 VULCAN
SOP-8, Dual BIOS switch button
XMP no test, 2400 problem-free.

Also, some 14nm chipsets can run Skylake with ME FW v12 disabled.

The “Flash programmer required” comments on Gigabyte above can be nulled, FD is fully unlocked on Gigabyte boards, so FPT can always be used to flash the entire SPI

@Lost_N_BIOS Yes, this is true and of course Q-flash can be used on modified BIOS with the correct byte change, the notes about the programmer were simply taken from the original text.

I’ve procured an Asus B360M-C/CSM motherboard and would like to go ahead and mod the BIOS.
Would it work just to run the BIOS through this tool? I think it downgrades the ME and adds in all the necessary microcodes.
[TOOL] Easy automated Mod tool for Coffee Lake bios

According to the seller, the motherboard only has BIOS on it for 8th gen Coffee. I only have a 9th gen Coffee at my disposal. So I might have to flash it with a programmer. I have a TL866II. Do I just flash the BIOS image downloaded from ASUS site for example, directly into the BIOS chip? I don’t have to leave any part of BIOS in place, do I? Just wondering because sometimes when I flash a BIOS through the normal means, sometimes it looks like the flashing programs are doing blocks at a time and skipping certain blocks.

@GnatGoSplat

There must be a mistake on ur search…the PRIME-B360M-C-CSM supports 8/9th Gen Intel CPUs
look here: CPU support

I guess I didn’t word that right. The seller’s description says it can support 9th gen with BIOS update, which to me implies the BIOS it comes with is too old. 9th gen update comes with BIOS 1404, so for seller to say it can support with update makes me think it comes with something older than 1404.

Probably… wots the problem then? U need to update the bios…general operation that u have to do as we all do, by standard Asus update method.
Its common issue that u buy a 2nd hand board with the original shipped bios (older)… i dont see here wots the problem that u r afraid here…
U r afraid to update the bios?

Now if dont have a 8Gen…better borrow one or ask him to update the bios before the deal… he said that because almost sure only has 8 Gen…or dont.
Even with a 8Gen he can update to latest version, off course if u dont have one u cant boot ur 9th.

I don’t have an 8th gen CPU to update the BIOS. If the BIOS is too old, then I can’t update the BIOS with my 9th gen CPU either. I do have a flash programmer I can update the BIOS without needing a CPU at all.

My objective is to make the motherboard work with 7th gen CPU, Kaby Lake.

7th gen…in a 300, no u cannot.
Available is 9th Gen Coffee Lake in 100/200 Chipsets here

And NO u cannot flash with programmer a 9Th Gen bios from ASUS, u will loose several information from the board in doing so. Its possible but several advanced manual operations needed.

@MeatWar , I think you didn’t read the whole thread, all the previous responses said Kaby can work. @chinobino posted a list of 3xx chipset boards that people got Kaby to work.

But yeah, the “several advanced manual operations needed” you mentioned is what I need more details about.

coffeetime: [GUIDE] Coffee Lake CPUs on Skylake and Kaby Lake motherboards (85)

You can mouseover the ME version to see what combos work with what cpu/chipset.

Take a dump of your existing bios to preserve personal data (you can then use coffeetime to transfer it to your new bios, if downloading from asus)

@chinobino recommended to get a 14nm 3-series… maybe you can get the b360 to work, but…

Does this mean 14nm can’t use ME<v12, regardless of whether hap bit is disabled / cut corp?

For reference, here’s the popup in coffeetime 0.92:

No i did not…i do see now B365 only…
Nothing more i can add to what u want/need, but if u have programmer…go ahead, play it as u want, its ur board/asset. Good luck.

@ziddey , thanks, I’ve downloaded CoffeeTime. Turns out my dump is the latest version of BIOS, so seller wasn’t correct about the board needing an update for 9th gen Coffee.

Unfortunately, I didn’t catch the 14nm vs 22nm chipset thing before. B360 is 14nm, I take it. Is it not possible to downgrade the ME?

I’m not really sure what CoffeeTime does, is it a tool to add CFL support to SKL/KBL motherboards? I always used revlaay’s “Easy automated tool”, but CoffeeTime looks slicker. ME is not downgradeable in it (… is grayed out). What’s it mean to disable v12 ME?

Flip the HAP bit

Also grayed out.

https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner/wiki…ltMeDisable-bit

Is ME chipset-specific? What if I just downgrade it with a different program?

Looks like the project is a fail.

First, used CoffeeTime to add microcode 906E9 which I think is the correct one for my Pentium G4620.
Won’t boot. When pressing power button, the power LED flashes a split second, CPU and PSU fans come on for about 3-seconds and turns off.

2nd attempt, disable HAP bit. Had to use the me_cleaner in pull request #282 to successfully disable it on ME12. https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner/pull/282
Booted with my Core i3 9100. Confirmed in BIOS, ME FW shows 0.0.0.0, so successfully disabled. Boots into Windows just fine.

Swapped to G4620. Same problem as before. Power LED flashes a split second, CPU and PSU fans come on for about 3-seconds and turns off.

Any ideas?