LEGACY/UEFI Boot BIOS settings

Well, they use an old version, the oldest I have seen in the wild. So this might be the problem.

F5

vga_bios_n670oc_2gd_f5.png

F13

vga_bios_n670o2gd_f13.png

Question is, which one do you want to update and to what version? I have a 0x1002B (Mar 12 2014) from a Gainward GTX770 and a 0x1002D (Apr 23 2014) from a Quadro K4000.

I would expect that because these are very old cards. But why would an older version be not compatible with my old board also? It does confirm that the GPU has a GOP driver in it, right? What does "variant missing" indicate?

If we were to update it, how would I know which one to pick? And is it safe to update it?

Because it would have been the first releases for a GOP, so you could find bugs. But, yes, your cards have a GOP, even if an ancient one.

The variant is missing because of the old release. In the new ones they started to add the variant (from 1 to 6) to indicate the generation of the cards supported.

The both version should work just fine, because GOP is more universal, only differentiated by the generation of hardware. For your card it is GK1XX, so you need a variant 4. If you want to be moderate safe, I would go with 0x1002B.

No, flashing is never safe. But we do it all the time, don’t we? Your choice.

If you change your mind, here they are. Updated with GOP 0x1002B. This new GOP was larger than the old one, so I had to relocate next sections. Nothing to worry, since the VBIOS has the section placed one after the other. They don’t use hardcoded offset, tested this with one official example where they just added the GOP. Only checksums and signature where changed in that case.

If you get a signature error on official nvflash, use the one inside, patched by JoeDirt from overclock.net.

N670O2GD.F5-F13_mod.rar (803 KB)

Got it, thanks for the explanation.

Is there absolutely a difference between the GK104 and GK106 GOP’s that you’ve given me as choices? I agree that the 0x1002B GOP is somewhat “safer” but if the 0x1002D GOP is also compatible with my card is it better in any way?

Well, 0x1002B and 0x1002D that I’m giving you as an option are both for GK1xx, variant 0x0000000000000004. Nvidia is offering only 6 GOP variants so far, with a another variation being MXM, noted by 1 in position 2 (0x000000000000010x) or 0x80 in position 0x0A in the EFI_Expansion_ROM header. Since the GOP is for each generation of cards, this new version might only concern a specific sets of card, or all of them. No way to know without official changelog.

To be safe, only after you confirm that 0x1002B works as it should, maybe we can look into updating to 0x1002D.

Oh ok. But theoretically, they both should work for my card, right?

What do you exactly mean by “Since the GOP is for each generation of cards, this new version might only concern a specific sets of card, or all of them.”. Sorry, I’m just not sure if I understood that correctly.

And if the GOP that you used to replace the old one is larger, would there be no problems with the flash size of the card itself? I mean, wouldn’t the vBIOS itself be l noticed that the modified vBIOS is 164KB compared to the original which is only 162KB.

In theory, yes. In practice, you have to try one step at a time.

Nvidia GOPs: GT21X, GF10X, GF119, GK1xx (maybe also GK2xx), GM1xx, GM2xx. Plus MXM variation. Your card, GTX 770, Quadro K4000 are all GK1XX. So, 0x1002D might fix only Quadro bugs, or a specific card, or a specific configuration… Like I said, one step at a time. If you haven’t even flashed 0x1002B, what is the point in asking about 0x1002D?

No. Your chip is 256KB in size.

Well, it seems to have flashed just fine but the main issue that I’m having still persists (still blank screen when I select EFI Compatible). It is important to note though that these are my settings under the Boot section of my mainboard’s BIOS: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mj5yr10ojo6juw…153026.BMP?dl=0

I tried enabling Full Screen Logo just for troubleshooting purposes and when I use EFI Compatible it does seem to show the full screen logo during bootup but it seems to be stuck (cannot hit Del to go to BIOS and it doesn’t go to Windows).

Any more ideas? Could it be because my mainboard BIOS doesn’t have an EFI SataDriver also? I mean I use AHCI anyway, so would it have an effect (isn’t that for RAID only?)? In AHCI mode, what EFI driver does it use?

No, as long as you have set the Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI", no EFI "SataDriver" is required within the BIOS.
By the way:
You should remember, that Intel 6-Series Chipset mainboards were the first ones with UEFI boot support, but
a) the original BIOSes usually do not contain the required EFI modules for the different on-board Controllers and
b) a "clean" UEFI boot (Compatibility Support Module“ disabled) is not possile with these boards.
So you can do a lot of things with your P67 chipset mainboard, but will only get very limited UEFI boot support.

It’s actually Z68 but yes I understand your point. I’m just comparing things with the thread that I gave you. We have the same board and it worked on him with a flash of a modified vBIOS. If I’m using AHCI, then how would it boot the SSD/HDD in EFI mode if it doesn’t use any drivers?

The AHCI oROM modules & AHCI EFI drivers are made by the board manufacturer specifically for each of their boards. The RAIDDriver (previously SataDriver) is maintained and updated by Intel in this case. If you are running in AHCI mode it does not matter what RAIDDriver (SataDriver) you have. What Fernando said is that some of 6-series boards do not contain other essential EFI drivers apart from the GopDriver & SataDriver. That’s why it may not be showing anything in UEFI mode and even if it showed, it would never be a clean CSM-disabled one either way. It’s a fact that 6-series UEFI is about looks (appearance). Unless CSM is disabled you won’t be in true UEFI mode and you are not going to see a performance difference while booting or similar.

Yes, I got that. But I still want to use EFI Compatible even just for booting off through GPT and at least using the EFI’s that are available to me. I’m not after a “clean” EFI boot but my aim is to use any EFI OROM available.

AFAIK none of the AMI UEFI BIOSes contain an Intel AHCI Option ROM or an EFI AHCI "Driver". The Intel SATA AHCI Controllers of Intel platform systems from 6-Series up do not need to load any separate "Firmware".

Yes, that’s what I meant by saying: "The AHCI oROM modules & AHCI EFI drivers are made by the board manufacturer specifically for each of their boards."

You already have those things. You can boot from GPT partitions & you can load .efi programs. The EFI modules would be beneficial for those running with CSM disabled. If you have CSM enabled you might as well be running on oROM modules. Some motherboards (for example my Z77) give you the option to select what devices use oROMs or EFI modules for more compatibility but you can only choose such options when CSM is enabled.

Can you add Intel GOP and RAID, just for the sake of it? Just to rule out this possibility. Other than that, it might be that even this updated GOP is not enough for your board, Nvidia being somewhat reluctant to support old boards.

I haven’t tried doing that yet. I only use UBU to upgrade the present OROMs in my BIOS but haven’t really tried inserting missing EFI drivers. Would you be able to do that easily also?

The guide is already here. I will do things like GOP updating, because it is easier to be done than explained, but I can’t do everything for you.

I understand. I’ll look into this and will report back. Thanks.

@Fernando

Is there any risk in inserting a RAID EFI Driver and GOP Driver in a BIOS that doesn’t have them?