Lenovo T580 Bios Lock

Thanks, yes I guess that is still BIOS/UEFI pass not windows login. So, that person wasn’t there before?

Have you loaded optimal defaults yet? Asking in regards to that CRC error, or is that only in this last test batch (Maybe due to missing/empty NVRAM etc), I can’t see that error on my end where I usually might, so unsure it’s cause or how to correct, but it’s no big deal in this instance anyway, password remains.

There is some other chip on the board storing password, you’ll have to try and dump them all and see if we can find it, I don’t have high hopes for that though, it’s likely encrypted and we’d never know even if we were looking right at it.
But, once you dump them all, we can test blanking them one by one until you find it!

I will try and dump other chips.

@Lost_N_BIOS You have a good solution
please help me with this problem ---->>>> BIOS for Lenovo x260

Hey. I decided to join and revive this thread since I have the same problem. I got a discarded corporate Thinkpad T580 that has a supervisor password and I wanna try my best to fix it myself (guess I’m cheap and kind of a geek ;)). I used to mod Xboxes back in the days so using command line in Linux and even soldering things doesn’t scare me. So the question is; which EEPROM is it that needs to be flashed in this model and does anybody have the right fw for it?

@azbest - dump all 25xx SOIC8 type BIOS chips and send me contents. then link me to latest BIOS for the system you want used.
*Edit - never mind, read through this thread, the only method I know does not work for this system. I sent you info/alternatives to try in reply to your PM

See solution here, may not be exact same for your model, but I bet it either is, or similar, the chip shown in the alternative link I sent in PM to short
BIOS for Lenovo x260 << He replaced chip, problem solved, so also the short method should work to let you in and then you can reset/blank it

I think Lenovo started protecting their bioses better around 2017.

https://www.allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3044

There are many places that offer quick, safe and easy removal of supervisor passwords on the newest Thinkpads but guard it as a secret and demand from around $40 to $120 for it. I can’t blame them for having a business but I got to be honest I want to know what they know and I don’t want to send my laptop anywhere ;).

BTW, I did get one reply about shorting pins on BIOS but I dare not starting my laptop this way.

I’m going on holidays for two weeks and will update here once I get my hands on a programmer.

Yes, maybe all, or maybe only certain more business type models vs the more consumer ones?
From what they have on that first page you linked me, the warning about pirated version, obviously someone leaked their tools somewhere and it works without the code they give you I suspect, or they wouldn’t cry about it being pirated but only laugh at all the bricks.
They mention bricks due to that, but not in same way they would if the leaked version ONLY caused bricks, I think that’s more of a false flag to make you not even consider trying to find a pirated version.
I didn’t’ look for that, but maybe should later, I can usually find such things, and where ever it’s shared, there will be feedback, comments etc, so we’d know if it bricks all or not.

I agree, can’t blame them for charging either, but they should offer lesser priced service too for those that only need one-off instead of business that may need many done at once.

Shorting stuff is OK, provided method is outline and proven to work, and you have ability and confidence to hold the short safely. Mistake during that can blow traces or chips and ruin a board too, so it is always a risk when done
I’ve done it plenty on various chip types, and have messed some things up too but only tiny % of what I’ve shorted. I learned to tape off stuff when doing, so no short possible except the pins you want to short.

Yes, please post back once you have programmer and sort this out after you get back home. I thought you already had programmer

In the other thread you mentioned, replacing mec1653 helped in the end but that’d be too hard for me. I don’t have equipment for that.

But I’m digging…

https://i.blackhat.com/USA-19/Thursday/u…-Controller.pdf :wink:

Link to Lenovo’s BIOSes and EC flashing tool:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/do/en/produ…nloads/ds502394

Ok, so it looks like you have to pay… More or less, depending on how much effort and risk you can take.

https://www.ghostlyhaks.com/forum/rom-ee…password-unlock

@azbest - That doesn’t sound like something I said, maybe someone else said that?
Wherever that was, I think I also linked to a guide that showed you how to short that chip out during bootup to bypass it and set new blank password, so the chip doesn’t always need removed or replaced.

Yes, there is many paid services/sites that will remove passwords for you for a fine

a can unlock all lenovo

hello and I do apologize for necromancing this topic.

I need a lenovo x260 S/N: PC-0C7WY0 (winbond 25q128fvpq) Bios to compare my dump. This BIOS was shorted in order to remove the bios master password but somehow the bios didn’t reset and i can’t confirm if my dump is correct or not.

Original BIOS from LENOVO https:// download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/r02uj74w.exe .

My DUMPs:
mediafire.com/file/kx6mtlawhpd9esm/bios_copy1.rom/file
mediafire.com/file/a7g394b3e4nnvik/bios_copy2.rom/file