Microcodes for Spectre & Meltdown Discussion

I have a 3930K (SandyBridge-E), and would also really like a microcode update. Unfortunately, Intel has not released such an update and the intel CEO has indicated they will be updating systems from the last 5 years, which sounds like they may leave Sandy Bridge out in the cold. Intel has been silent on questions regarding Sandy Bridge microcode updates, and it is beginning to look like they may not happen. :confused:

I am with 4930K and wonderfully it got updated microcode. So you can upgrade to IB-E. And I consider it as worth try, because 4930K I like better than 3930K.

Thanks, but if I were to get a new CPU, I would just get new Mobo, CPU, and RAM. Not to mention OS license. I am considering getting a ryzen.

Ive just used UBT to update my CPU microcode for my z87 Haswell board and 4770k.
The latest for haswell is v23 dated 20/11/17 and includes spectre fix

So far so good

http://www.imagebam.com/image/08f1a2721482763

Full Spectre and Meltdown protection now enabled

New tool for Spectre/Meltdown check
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/download_inspectre.html

I noticed upon checking the Spectre/Meltdown BIOS updates for the EVGA X99 series motherboards that EVGA seems to have included Microcode 25 for BDW-E, itā€™s what Iā€™m running on my Asrock board as well.
However, the Ashampoo Tool still shows my system as vulnerable for both Spectre/Meltdown.

As per the Reference table for Socket 2011-3 posted in another thread:

BDW-U/Y E/F (06-3d-04:c0) 25->28
HSX C0 (06-3f-02:6f) 3a->3b

So, apparently there should be a more recent version 28 in the wild? I do know that HSW-E microcode 3B was released around the same time as 25 for BDW-E, which is weird since for HSW it seems to contain the fix.

@Obi_Yoann It reappeared again in rev. 5 of the HP support site. But we will see if it is advisable to use this microcode or if the performance suffers too much.

ĀµCode 28 is not for BDW-E. It is for BDW U/Y low-power/SoC platforms. ĀµCode 25 is the latest for BDW-E and it contains the fix. Check your system with this tool instead >here<

Anyway, the microcode update inside bios significantly slows my entire system. I do not know why my computer seems damned slower than its previous state.

I should not care too much about Spectre security breach.

Guys,

If you own an EVGA X99 Motherboard Evga just updated all their X99ā€™s fixing the Meltdown/Spectre flaws. Fwiw they are the first manufacturer to step up and update
their X99 line of boards. Neither at this moment has Gigabyte, Asus, Asrock or MSI done the same. Give this company a medal!

Going to mine the bios for anything useful for my boardā€¦

EDIT:

My bad. The ME was an old one! False Alarm!!!

Just saw this morning that Lenovo has posted microcode updates for some Sandy Bridge units, including my 2012-vintage X220 Tablet (Sandy Bridge i7-2640M). I also have a Lenovo T520 laptop, which incorporates the exact same processor. Any recommendations from the community on the advisability of using the microcode from the X220 update to patch that for the T520 BIOS (which they donā€™t intend to update, apparently, for some unfathomable reason)?
Thanks,
ā€“Edā€“

propergol, UBU v1.69.10 (official version) includes up to Ivy Bridge, your CPU is Sandy Bridge, you have to wait a bit, maybe v1.70 will include your microcode updateā€¦

According to Intel https://www.anandtech.com/show/12299/intā€¦-in-open-letter

I wouldnā€™t hold my breath and have zero faith on any claims by Intel that they can make Spectre attacks a non issue like it has been claimed in recent news.

IMO they should be class action sued into fixing the issues at hardware level (yes that means what you think it means), but that wont happen either and as usual users are the ones shafted.

The only real mitigation is extreme awareness by user and not accepting any 3rd party anything from any sites likely and not opening/clicking anything coming from anyone. That wont happen either.

Hi, also for Arrandale thereā€™s no update ā€œyetā€ā€¦ :confused:

Fingers crossed then! That would be a good news for those of us who still have those machinesā€¦ :slight_smile:

For those want to update the microcode beware newer research from Intel shows that Ivy Bridge, Sandy Bridge, Skylake and Kaby Lake-based platforms are all affected by the bugged update and spontaneously reboot.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/firmwareā€¦center-systems/

I already do that for years

Iā€™ve applied the Asus Firmware update 1203 which has the updated microcode on the system on my signature without any ill effects described by reboots etc.

Im still waiting for updates on older systems.

Meanwhile Intel has released a new statement regarding the Meltdown/Spectre problem and warns to install any fix, which has been offered until now by the mainboard manufacturers.
>Here< is the link to that statement.
Conclusion: For the private customers it is better to wait until the OEMs have released bug free BIOS updates than to flash the currently availabe ones.

And this just out from Dell

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/eā€¦orking-?lang=en