Modded Intel AHCI and RAID Drivers (digitally signed)

I have just compared both modules by using an hex editor and saw a lot of differences.
The module, which has been extracted by Andy’s Phoenixtool, seems to be slightly compressed.

EDIT:
The tool CBROM_155 is able to open the BIOS.bin file, but doesn’t find any PCI ROM module.
Look here:

Lenovo Thinkpad BIOS opened with CBROM_155.png

Hi Fernando

Thank you very much for your great work.

I have run into a problem however with the latest version of the "classic" RST drivers (17/Aug/2014):
I tried to install Windows Server 2008 R2 an a Laptop with ICH8M loading your current modded driver. The driver is not detected by setup.

About a week ago I did the same and it did work. Have you updated the drivers recently?
Could you provide a link to the previous version so that I can compare?

Thank you very much
Max

Hello Fernando,

could you please help me with the following problem?

I have to install Windows Server 2003 (32 Bit) on a PC with an ASUS B85-Plus Motherboard and an Intel 8 Series / C220 Chipset-SATA AHCI Controller.
And I tried to use your package on a floppy disc with the F6 (SCSI) option. Unfortunately the system hangs before I can select any appropriate driver from the list.
(the list itself won’t be shown)

What can I do now?

Thanks a lot!

best regards
John

@ kmax:
Hello Max,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Yes, the INF and OE files have been recistomized by me last sunday (08/17/2014).

I have attached the previously offerered variant of the driverpack.
Please report, if it worked for you.

Regards
Fernando

Universal 32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 re-mod by Fernando.rar (248 KB)

@ johamb:
Hello John,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

It is not easy to get any old Windows OS installed onto an Intel 8- or 9-series chipset system.
Questions:
1. Which sort of storage device (USB or CD/DVD drive) did you use to get the OS installed?
2. Is your Windows Server 2003 source an original (untouched) one resp. where did you get it?
3. Which "BOOT" settings did you choose within the BIOS before starting the OS installation?

Regards
Fernando

thank you for your quick reply Fernando.
Windows 2008 R2 is 64 bit, so I need that version.

Thank you
Max

Hello Fernando,

wow, thanks for your fast reply!

I use a DVD(-Drive) for installing a buyed (original) Version of Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.
The BIOS Settings for SATA are:

SATA-Modusauswahl: AHCI
Aggressive-LPM-Unterstützung: Auto
S.M.A.R.T. Statusprüfung: Aktiviert

SATA6G_1 (Yellow) HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0 ATAPI
Hotplug: Disabled

SATA6G_2 (Yellow) WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 (3000.5 GB)
Hotplug: Disabled

Thanks!
best regards
John

Ok, I attach the 64bit version here:

Universal 64bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 re-mod by Fernando.rar (282 KB)

Hi Fernando,
as a short description, what I did the last hour and what seems to be successful, but didn’t work in the end (hopefully s.b. can help, because at the moment I don’t have any ideas how to go on):

1.) phcomp /D $01C0000.FL1 → Uncompress BIOS-File
2.) phnxsplit.exe $01C0000.FLh → Extract modules
3.) Create a new file OPROM.SCR:
BANKS -N:1 -S:256 # Flash accessed as one(1), 8192 KByte (64Mb) bank.
COMPRESS LZINT # Use LZINT when compressing modules
BOOTBLOCK -S:128 # (J) PSI style, no BB.BIN needed
OPROM OPROM06n.rom
PSI -PLACE:“BOOTBLOCK” -ALIGN:TOP -COMPRESS:NO ceimain.bin
4.) COPY 8086-2822_9501037.bin OPROM06.rom → Copy the modified OROM to a short-named one
5.) fp OPROM.scr
6.) fi OPROM.scr
7.) rom2mod BIOS.ROM BIOS.MOD

fp.exe, fi.exe and rom2mod.exe came from phoenix and were packed inside the BIOS-Update from Lenovo.
phcomp.exe and phnxsplit.exe come from http://www.endeer.cz/bios.tools/ and are good working tools to extract the modules inside the bios (e.g. the OPROM06.rom where the intel raid seems to be in).

The idea was, using the Phoenix-Tools, to create also a packed module (like the OPROM06.rom inside the lenovo-bios) from the 8086-2822_9501037.bin and then replace it.

But rom2mod crashes on my PC when I keep the COMPRESS LZINT inside the script.
And when I delete this line inside OPROM.SCR it creates a only 20 KB great BIOS.MOD, which is to small compared to OPROM06.rom.

So I think, it maybe only some errors of the parameters inside OPROM.SCR, because in priciple this steps are used to create the Phoenix-BIOS-Flash.

So hopefully s.b. has an idea and/or some experience with Phoenix-bios-files and knows what to change?

Thanks a lot for any ideas !!!

Thanks for the quick answers.
More important than the Storage settings are the BOOT settings within the BIOS (CSM has to be enabled).
Furthermore I recommend to integrate the "Universally modded" 32bit Intel AHCI driver into the W2k3 CD instead of trying to load it via F6. Before you start with the OS installation I recommend to unplug all HDD/SSD/USB devices except the one, where you want to get the OS installed.

@ ZPW701:
Thanks for your interesting interim report and congrats for your successful work so far.

Although I generally do not like it, when users post their problem into different Forums, you may find >here< some very experienced Phoenix BIOS modders.
Good luck!

Thanks a lot!

OK - I’ll try to create a special W2k3 disc with the drivers you have mentioned.
Currently there is only a DVD-ROM-Drive and a SATA-Disc attached in the system.

And yes, I enabled CSM before I tried to install the o/s:
CSM starten: Aktiviert
Bootgerätekontrolle: UEFI und Legacy OPROM
Von Netzwerkgeräten booten: Legacy OPROM zuerst
Von externen Datenträger booten: Legacy OPROM zuerst
PCI-E/PCI-Erweiterungskarten booten: Legacy OPROM zuerst

best regards
John

Hi Fernando,
thanks a lot for the good tip of the BIOS-Mods !!!

No, the older version of the classic RST driver did not work for me either. That’s odd, I think I saw it working one time.
Anyway, forget about that.

What I did now: Googling I found a link to an old version of the RST driver from Intel website.
RST version 9.6.0.1014:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_…x?DwnldID=15251

That one supports ICH8M and other controllers from ICH7 through ICH10 natively without the need for modding.
It’s available in 32 and 64 bit and supports the most recent Windows versions 8/8.1/Server 2012 R2.
It is loaded successfully from Windows setup.

After setup I tried to update to Fernando’s modded more recent “classic” RST driver in Device Manager, but it doesn’t work.
It says I have the most recent driver installed already.

Another issue still exists: In Windows OS, the ICH8M controller seems to always work in so called “combined mode” instead of true AHCI, at least on my machine.
In combined mode devices seem to be limited to SATA gen. 1 speed, which severly hampers fast SSDs. Whether it truly supports TRIM is doubtful too.
I have never seen a Windows driver anywhere to overcome this limit.
Ubuntu proves that it is possible to switch ICH8M to true AHCI, because benchmarks there yield full SATA gen. 2 speed.

Anyway, thank you Fernando for your work.

Hello Fernando,

I have now tested your “Universal 32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando (refreshed at 08/17/2014)” using Windows 2000 Professional on a Biostar TZ77A motherboard and Intel i7-2700k processor (7 Series / C216 chipset). I integrated the driver into the OS disc using nLite. Setup failed with the message, “The file iaStor.sys is corrupted.”

This message indicates, that the driver architecture (32/64bit) of the integrated Intel textmode driver didn’t match the architecture of the OS.
Please check that. Maybe you have integrated by mistake the 64bit driver.
By the way: The 32bit iaStor.sys of the v11.2.0.1006 driver has a size of 461 KB, whereas the 64bit variant is much bigger (556 KB).

Thanks for having tested it and thanks for your feedback, which verifies, that I didn’t have done something wrong on 08/17, when I re-customized the INF and OEM files of my "Universally modded drivers v11.2.0.1006".
Nevertheless I wonder why your Intel ICH8M SATA AHCI Controller is still not supported by the modded driver.

The latest Intel AHCI driver, which natively supports Intel ICH8M SATA AHCI Controllers, is v10.5.0.1015. The latest WHQL certified Intel RST driver with full ICH8M support is v10.1.5.1001 WHQL. The 32bit variant of the latter driver is attached.

You always will get this message, if you try to simply replace a WHQL certified driver by a not digitally signed (e.g. modded) driver version.
You have to force the driver replacement by using the "Have Disk" button! This way you can get a modded driver installed (unless you are running Win8, which requires to disable the driver integrity check before).

32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v10.1.5.1001 WHQL.rar (192 KB)

@ all users of my modded drivers:

Today I have realized, that the TXTSETUP.OEM files of my recently refreshed “Universally modded” Intel RST drivers v11.2.0.1006 were faulty (the DeviceID of the Intel ICH8R SATA AHCI Controller was missing within one section of the file).
On this occasion I have re-customized the INF and OEM files of the related packages (especially to make it easier for the users to find the correct Intel SATA Controller for their system).
Since I cannot test myself, if my freshly remodded drivers will work with all Intel AHCI and RAID Controllers from ICH7 up, I need your feedback!

Update of the Start Post:
Changelog:

• refreshed: “Universal 32/64bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID drivers v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando”, originally dated 05/30/2012 and re-customized by me at 08/23/2014
  • refreshed: “Universal Intel RST Drivers & Software Set v11.2.0.1006 mod by Fernando”, originally dated 06/13/2012 and re-customized by me at 08/23/2014

Good luck with these freshly customized Intel AHCI/RAID drivers!
Fernando

Been using your latest 13.2… mod for a few days now, works great. Do you think you can do a mod of latest 13.2.4… driver over here? http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php…2.4.1000-WHQL/

I’m on X79 chipset btw.

@ SLK350:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!

It’s already done - please look into the start post of this thread.

Enjoy the Forum and the modded drivers!
Fernando