Modded Intel AHCI and RAID Drivers (digitally signed)

I thought the all RST drivers are already RST(e) from v11.5 and above?

This is correct. Intel names them RST, but I name them usually RST(e) to point out for the users, that these RST drivers from v11.5 up have an additional SCSI driver like the real RSTe drivers.
Exceptionally I didnā€™t use the name "RST(e)", when I answered HHawk, because it would have been confusing for him, if I would have written "ā€¦ use the RST(e) RAID Controller instead of the default RSTe one ā€¦".

I understand. That means that 12.9.4.1000 is definitely an RST (e) with the two drivers inside that package, correct?

Yes!

Although the newest Intel RST(e) drivers v13.6.0.1002 have been designed by Intel just for Intel 8- or 9-Series Chipset systems, I decided to customize them to make them usable with as many Intel chipsets as possible.

Update of the Start Post:
Changelog:

• new: ā€œ32/64bit Intel RST(e) AHCI & RAID drivers v13.6.0.1002 mod by Fernandoā€ (with support of all Intel AHCI/RAID systems from ICH7R/M up)
  • new: ā€œUniversal 32/64bit Intel RST Software v13.6.0.1002ā€ (extracted untouched original RST Software)

Important:
  1. Users, who want to manually install any modified driver from within the Device Manager, have to use the ā€œHave Diskā€ button! Otherwise they will get the message, that the latest/best driver has already been installed.
  2. Win8/Win8.1 users have to disable the driver integrity check before trying to install any driver, which is not digitally signed or modified. The procedure how to do it is layed down at the bottom chapter of the start post.

Good luck with these freshly customized Intel AHCI/RAID drivers!
Fernando

Driver Signature Enforcement is a requirement at x64 Windows operating systems. Itā€™s not just for Windows 8.x. I remember having to do the exact same thing for Windows 7 or Vista.

Also a quick way to trigger Recovery at Windows 8.x is by pressing Shift + Restart.

As far as I remember I never had any problem to get a modded Intel RST driver installed onto any 64bit Windows Operating System up to Win7, when I used the "Have Disk" button.

I didnā€™t know that. Thanks for this tip, which makes it much easier to get the Win8/10 "Driver Signature Enforcement" disabled.

I guess it depends on the modification. As far as gpu drivers are concerned, I remember that it was important to disable signature enforcement on x64 Windows.

Yes, you also bypass the Metro UI Settings app completely that way. Indeed a lot faster.

Changelog:

• new: ā€œ32/64bit Intel RST(e) AHCI & RAID drivers v13.5.2.1000 mod by Fernandoā€ (with support of all Intel AHCI/RAID systems from ICH7R/M up)
  • new: ā€œUniversal 32/64bit Intel RST Software v13.5.2.1000ā€ (extracted untouched original RST Software)
  • changed: Structure of the Start Post

Important:
  1. Users, who want to manually install any modified driver from within the Device Manager, have to use the ā€œHave Diskā€ button! Otherwise they will get the message, that the latest/best driver has already been installed.
  2. Win8/Win8.1 users have to disable the driver integrity check before trying to install any driver, which is not digitally signed or modified. The procedure how to do it is layed down at the bottom chapter of the start post.

Fernando

Fernando!
Iā€™m in awe of your incredible Forum. Such a lot of information, work, and treasures of driver code.

I seem to have the ā€œcastratedā€ ICH10 variants in my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L (not RAID-capable) MB.
The BIOS claims to be able to set AHCI mode, but I just get bluescreen stop 7 when I try. No drivers with ā€œahciā€ appear in the
WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder. Nor does iastor.sys. Thus I just think the boot stops when it canā€™t find AHCI capable drivers.

Iā€™m running XP SP3, but trying to create a dual-boot XP/Win7 system with a SSD for the Win7 OS drive.
I want to avoid having to change the BIOS setting back to PATA each time I boot into XP.

(I was able to get this done on an Asus MB with ICH9 chipset by installing iaStor.sys using iaAHCI.inf and
iastor.inf in an earlier version 7.8.0.1012, using the Have Diskā€¦ dance.)

Now, on my GB MB, The device manager shows
Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 -3A26
Intel(R) ICH10 Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 -3A20
which are not on your modded dev lists as far as I can see.

I just need AHCI functionality, not blazing speed, and no RAID.

Do you think your Universal 32bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v8.9.8.1005 mod by Fernando would
work with another two devices added to the .infs?
I wonder about the 2-port part 3A26 especially.

Any hints you might give me would be EXTREMELY helpful.
Apologies in advance if Iā€™ve foolishly omitted crucial information!
Thanks again!
drgary83

@ drgary83:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

No, because these listed 2 Intel SATA Controllers are runnng in IDE mode and do not work at all with any AHCI or RAID driver.

Ok, what you need to do is to set the Intel SATA Controller to "AHCI" within the BIOS and to do a fresh install of Windows XP with an integrated suitable Intel AHCI driver.

There is no need to add any HardwareIDs to the related .INF and .OEM files, because the Intel SATA AHCI Controller of your mainboard will be supported by my "universally modded" Intel textmode drivers, provided that

• a) you have highlighted the correct Intel SATA AHCI Controller names during the driver integration procedure (depending on the SATA port you are using it is either the "Intel(R) ICH10 SATA AHCI Controller DEV_3A03" or "Intel(R) ICH10 SATA AHCI Controller DEV_3A23", if you are not sure, you should highlight them both) and
  • b) the Intel SATA Controller has been set to "AHCI" before you start with the XP installation.

By the way: I would integrate the "Universal 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v11.2.0.006 mod by Fernando", because it is much newer and better than the Intel MSM ones.

These names were given by the installed Intel Chipset Device Software (= INF Update Utility). Your mainboard obviously has at least 6 Intel SATA ports, which are managed by 2 slightly different Intel SATA Controllers (one for 2 SATA ports and the other for 4 SATA ports).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

come from china ! how to ?

@ KEROUG:

For which Intel SATA Controller and for which OS do you need a modded driver?
We need some informations to be able to help you.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Fernando,

My system is a Dell Precision T7500, the chipset is Intel 5520 (Xeon) and Iā€™m running Win 7 X64. I have been looking for a way to speed-up the system by using a SSD drive for cache unfortunately most of the SSD caching applications are hardware dependent or OEM only. When I found this topic I got a bit exited with the possibility of using Intelā€™s Rapid Storage Technology caching option but I have tried all the drivers/apps you created and I could not activate the feature.

Since Iā€™m not familiar with chipset families and features, I would like some advice on the subject. Am I doing something wrong or the Xeon chipsets wonā€™t ever allow me to use caching?

@ Gobit:

What I need is the DeviceID of your in-use Intel SATA Controller.
Run the Device Manager, expand the sections "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - "Storage Controllers" and check the HardwareIDs of the listed Controllers (right click onto them > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs").

You obviously are confusing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology with the Intel Smart Response Technology. The original/modded Intel RST drivers just support Intel SATA AHCI and RAID Controllers, but have nothing to do with an extra data caching feature.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Dieter,

Here is the list (DEV_3A22, I guess):
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&SUBSYS_026D1028&REV_00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&SUBSYS_026D1028
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_010601
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3A22&CC_0106

So, just to be clear, I was able to install your modded drivers and the system was stable - no issues there. Without the modded drivers I am limited to RST version 9.6.0.1014, any higher un-modded version fails to install. The reason I got "excited" was because, with your drivers, I could install RST drivers version higher than 10.5 (first for acceleration?) and try to activate the caching option.

You are correct. I never noticed that Acceleration was a feature of Smart Response Technology instead of RST - I just knew that the tab to activate it was under RST. .

Thank you for taking the time to respond and congratulations for all your good work.

Thanks for the HardwareIDs, which verify, that your active Intel SATA Controller is an "Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller".
So I recommend to install the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006.

This is hard to believe, because all original Intel RST drivers up to v11.7.4.1001 WHQL should fully support your on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller.

Version 13.6 is all over the place with my Z77 chipset. HD Tune Pro show extreme drops in read speed and other general performances. 13.5 works fine, however.
By any chance youā€™re working on 14.1 drivers now? Thanks in advance.

@ Hakuryuu:

Until now I havenā€™t seen any Intel RST(e) drivers of the v14.1 development branch, but you can expect modded variants of Intelā€™s RST(e) drivers v14.x.x.xxxx, when Intel has released the first final version of this new driver generation.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Although the newest Intel RST(e) drivers v13.6.2.1001 have been designed by Intel just for Intel 8- or 9-Series Chipset systems, I decided to customize them to make them usable with as many Intel chipsets as possible.

Changelog:

• new: ā€œ32/64bit Intel RST(e) AHCI & RAID drivers v13.6.2.1001 mod by Fernandoā€ (with support of all Intel AHCI/RAID systems from ICH7R/M up)
  • new: ā€œUniversal 32/64bit Intel RST Software v13.6.2.1001ā€ (extracted untouched original RST Software)

Important:
  2. Win8/Win8.1 users have to disable the driver integrity check before trying to install any driver, which is not digitally signed or modified. The procedure how to do it is layed down >here<.

Fernando