Modded Intel AHCI and RAID Drivers (digitally signed)

Ok I thought ESB2 was the server version of ICH8 but apparently not :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I/O_Controller_Hub#ICH6
But it’s strange : ESB2 release date is the same as ICH8 (2006) while ICH6 is 2004 :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In…Series_chipsets
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/dat…b-datasheet.pdf
Also all ICH6 are SATA1 … My ESB2 is clearly SATA2 with 6 ports :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In…Series_chipsets

Hello Fernando :smiley: Have a nice Sunday :smiley:

I have one question about these modded Intel AHCI and RAID Drivers - which driver i can use on to my Z77 Chispet (Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller) for best performance and stability ?
I currently use Windows 8.1 x64b Enterprise with Intel (R) Rapid Storage Technology 13.1.0.1058 WHQL - and it works very well - but i have plan to further upgrade my windows to version 10 and i need compatible driver. Latest driver is fully compatible with this OS - Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Version 14.6.1.1030 WHQL But this driver is officialy not supported by my Z77 system. Many THX for helpfull answers :smiley:

When I compare the DeviceID numbers, Intel has obviously started the development of the ESB2 Southbridge much earlier than the development of the ICH7 and ICH8 ones:

DEV_2682 = Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID Controller
DEV_27C3 = Intel(R) ICH7R SATA RAID Controllers
DEV_27C6 = Intel(R) ICH7M SATA RAID Controllers
DEV_2822 = Intel(R) ICH8R SATA RAID Controllers (and all later released ones)

or:

DEV_2681 = Intel(R) ESB2 SATA AHCI Controllers
DEV_27C1 = Intel(R) ICH7R SATA AHCI Controllers
DEV_27C5 = Intel(R) ICH7M SATA AHCI Controllers
DEV_2821 = Intel(R) ICH8R SATA AHCI Controllers
DEV_2829 = Intel(R) ICH8M SATA AHCI Controllers

[quote="Derelict, post:482, topic:19691"] I have one question about these modded Intel AHCI and RAID Drivers - which driver i can use on to my Z77 Chispet (Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller) for best performance and stability ?
I currently use Windows 8.1 x64b Enterprise with Intel (R) Rapid Storage Technology 13.1.0.1058 WHQL - and it works very well - but i have plan to further upgrade my windows to version 10 and i need compatible driver. [/quote] If I were you, I would not change the Intel AHCI driver version. The latest one, which does fully support your Intel 7-Series chipset system and will run fine with Win10 as well, is v13.1.0.1058 WHQL.
Zitat von Fernando im Beitrag #483
When I compare the DeviceID numbers, Intel has obviously started the development of the ESB2 Southbridge much earlier than the development of the ICH7 and ICH8 ones:

DEV_2682 = Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID Controller
DEV_27C3 = Intel(R) ICH7R SATA RAID Controllers
DEV_27C6 = Intel(R) ICH7M SATA RAID Controllers
DEV_2822 = Intel(R) ICH8R SATA RAID Controllers (and all later released ones)

or:

DEV_2681 = Intel(R) ESB2 SATA AHCI Controllers
DEV_27C1 = Intel(R) ICH7R SATA AHCI Controllers
DEV_27C5 = Intel(R) ICH7M SATA AHCI Controllers
DEV_2821 = Intel(R) ICH8R SATA AHCI Controllers
DEV_2829 = Intel(R) ICH8M SATA AHCI Controllers

Yes indeed.
Drivers v11.2.0.1006 mod+signed is definitely the best choice for Windows 10.

Hello to everyone! I own an ICH10R controller and a few weeks ago i installed a fresh copy of windows 10. I then proceeded to install the (at the time) latest raid drivers 13.* (which were compatible with Win8.1), the computer was unable to boot at times with the infamous irql_not_less_or_equal or interrupt exception not handled messages. But after a few tries it finally booted. I checked every once in a while waiting for the official Win10 RAID driver and it finally came up the version 14.6* but it turned up even worse than the previous drivers because it didn’t boot anymore and the BSOD message was INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE. ¿WTF? I have then decided to go back to my old friend Win7.
Any thought on the matter?

Alessandro

Hi. Like many others I have a problem with the Intel RST Service apparently not running after upgrading my Dell XPS 9100 from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

My computer info is as follows: Processor Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.8 GHz
It has a factory supplied Raid 1 with two 1 terabyte drives.

After the upgrade the machine booted up fine. At the bios screen, it shows that there is a Raid 1 array, and both disc drives are identified as healthy.
In the task bar, there is the little yellow warning triangle, and the message is that the Intel RST service is not running. Trying to open up the application does nothing.
Yet if I go to the task manager, under the processes tab it shows IaStorDataSvc with a cpu load of about 14%, and IaStorIcon with 0 load. The CPU load might be due to the fact that I have a WD Cloud network drive attached, and updating constantly.

Under the services tab, it shows IAStorDataMgrSvc as running.

In the device manager, under Intel Raid1 Volume, the driver version is 10.0.10240.16384.

Events says Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_Intel&Prod_Raid_1_Volume\4&37008a6&0&020100 could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: IDE\DiskARRAY01.0.00__\4&37008A6&0&0.1.0
Class Guid: {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC00FFFFF120
Present: true

Going back to the device manager, under Storage Controllers it shows Intel /Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset Sata Raid Controller
The driver version is 13.2.0.1022
Under information it shows:
Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_04821028&REV_00\3&11583659&0&FA was migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&SUBSYS_04821028&REV_00\3&11583659&0&FA
Class Guid: {4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0x0
Present: true

When I first ran across the problem, I tried to install the latest version of RST 14.? and it hung up. It didn’t say fatal error, the progress indicator just froze for many minutes. I forced a shutdown, and the machine rebooted with no problem.

Based on some other threads in this forum, it appears that it may be possible to uninstall only the RST program, and not the drivers, and then installing an older version of RST.

If so, should that be version 13.2.4.1000, or a different version?

And finally, I have an identical Dell XPS 9100 that I have not yet (thankfully) upgraded to Windows 10. In this machine, the raid is identified as Volume 0, and the driver is 6.1.7600.1638

The storage controller is identified as Intel ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R DO 5 Series /3400 Series Sata Raid Controller, Driver is 9.6.0.1014
In the Task Manager, the RST services is identified as 9.6.0.1014, same as the driver.

The machines were shipped at the same time, so I assume the difference in the device descriptions is a function of the Windows 10 upgrade.

So my questions are as follows:
1) is the Raid in fact functioning properly, even though I have no way of using RST Service to look at the performance. Does it do the normal maintenance/rebuild in the background?
2) Should I be uninstalling the Intel RST Service Manager application using the Windows normal uninstaller, and install a different version of the RST only, but leave the drivers intact?
3) If I do any of this, is there any risk to the computer failing to boot up?
4) If there is a risk, would this be mitigated by disconnecting the second drive in the Raid 1 prior to attempting the changes, and then if successful I could reconnect it and it would rebuild automatically. If unsuccessful, I would swap positions in the drive bays and it would become the sole boot driver.

Sorry to pepper you with all these questions, but you’re the only one who actually can provide answers. Microsoft and Intel can’t.

With the exception of the fact that I can’t manager the raid array with RST, everything else, including machine performance is fine.

Thanks,

Ray

@Virago :
Hello Alessandro,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Although you obviously are able to install the latest Intel RAID drivers of the v13 and v14 line, I do not recommend to do it with your Intel ICH10R Southbridge. These new Intel RST(e) drivers do not fully support old Intel Chipset like yours.
My recommendation is to install the Intel RST(e) driver v11.7.4.1001 WHQL or v12.9.4.1000 WHQL.

@rayjcar :
Hello Ray,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The chipset of the mainboard is much more important for the RAID array than the processor.

Is .NET Framework 3.5 installed and running? This Windows feature is absolutely required for a proper function of the Intel RST Software.

This is the Wiondows OS build number, but not a driver version.

Yes, as long as the RAID array is healthy.

No.

Yes. When you uninstall the Intel RST Software from within the Control Panel (“Add/remove Programs”), the associated Intel RST driver will not be uninstalled and usually not even replaced by another one.

Usually not, but nevertheless I recommend to let Windows create a restore point, before you are going to change anything regarding your RAID array.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Fernando, and thanks for your prompt reply.
Regarding the chipset, I don’t know how to retrieve that information apart from trying to see if I can read it off the motherboard. One site says the chipset is the X58.

Regarding the .NET framework, yes it is installed and running.

At the beginning of your reply there is a message to Alessandro regarding installing the RSTe driver, but for my situation you seem to agree that just uninstalling the RST service app and re-installing it could be the solution. Can you please point me to the right version to install for my vintage of drivers?

Thanks,

Ray

Yes, you should
1. uninstall the currently running Intel RST software,
2. reboot and
3. install a suitable Intel RST(e) Drivers & Software Set by running the SetupRST.exe file of the unzipped package.

For your system I recommend to install either the “Intel RSTe Drivers & Software Set v11.7.4.1001 WHQL” or the v12.9.4.1000 WHQL Set. You can find them both within the start post of >this< thread.
Since you are running your SATA drives in RAID mode, there is no need to use any modded driver for them.

I have edited my post because I have tested RST v11.2.0.1006 (Win7 not requires signed driver)…

On my Win7, I have good results.
I think it is useful to add ESB2 in v11.2.0.1006 mod+signed for Windows 10.

Since there are no Intel RST drivers v12.2.0.1006 available, you probably mean v11.2.0.1006.
As I already have promised, I will add the support of Intel ESB2 SATA AHCI and RAID Controllers to my “mod&signed” drivers v11.2.0.1006 as soon as I have the needed time.

Sorry yes it’s v11.2.0.1006 !
Thanks.

@Fernando :
thanks for your answer. I know it may sound crazy but i like to fiddle around with things so, on my Win7 i have installed the latest 14.6* version and the system failed to boot ; I have then replaced iaStorA.sys (from version 13.6*) into the system32/drivers folder and the system has booted normally since then.
The actual performance is as expected by the way. It may be that version 14 has better optimizations even for my ICH10R controller compared to versions 11 and 12 or maybe not.

Rather not. None of the Intel RST(e) v13 and v14 series drivers are the best choice for your Intel ICH10R Southbridge.

Ok, attached you can find my brandnew modded 32/64bit Intel RST drivers v11.2.0.1006, which will support even the old Intel ESB2 SATA AHCI and RAID Controllers. Although I have digitally signed them, I am not sure, whether the Certificate will be accepted by your system.
By the way: Additionally I have prepared new “universally mod+signed” Intel RST(e) drivers v11.7.4.1001, which do support Intel ESB2 Southbridges as well. Are you still interested in testing these newer drivers?

UPDATE:
Since the newest mod+signed 32/64bit RST drivers v11.2.0.1006, which additionally do support Intel ESB2 SATA AHCI and RAID Controllers, are meanwhile available within the start post of this thread, I have removed the attachments.
The other re-modded and freshly digitally signed Intel RST/RST(e) drivers will be added very soon.

Thank you !

I will soon install Windows 10 on this computer, I’ll let you know the results.
Yes I am interested to test drivers v11.7.4.1001.

Look into the start page. Even the re-modded and signed Intel RST(e) drivers v12.9.4.1000 do support the Intel ESB2 SATA AHCI and RAID Conbtrollers.

@ all:
It was our Forum member Zwulf, who created a ModDriverSignTool for me, which gave me the ability
a) to use from now on a unique Signature Certificate, which will be valid for all my future mod+signed drivers and
b) to make the process of adding the digital signature to my modded drivers much easier.
That is why I have to thank him for his phantastic help!

Update of the Start Post:
Changelog:

• re-modded and freshly digitally signed:
    “Universal 32/64bit Intel RST AHCI+RAID drivers v11.2.01006 mod+signed by Fernando” (Intel ESB2 Southbridge support added)
    "Universal Intel RST Drivers+Software Set v11.2.0.1006 mod+signed by Fernando (Intel ESB2 Southbridge support added)
    “Universal 32/64bit Intel RST(e) AHCI+RAID drivers v11.7.4.1001 mod+signed by Fernando” (Intel ESB2 Southbridge support added)
    "Universal Intel RST(e) Drivers+Software Set v11.7.4.1001 mod+signed by Fernando (Intel ESB2 Southbridge support added)
    “Universal 32/64bit Intel RST(e) AHCI+RAID drivers v12.9.4.1000 mod+signed by Fernando” (Intel ESB2 Southbridge support added)
  • freshly digitally signed:
    all other 32/64bit mod+signed Intel AHCI+RAID drivers

Good luck with these freshly modded and digitally signed Intel AHCI/RAID drivers!

Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando ,
I have tried to install only the 64 bit SOFTWARE modded Application (v14.6.1.1030) on Saberx99 to hope to manage the RAID 0 blocksize (currently 128 Kb) and don’t succeed (error code 1603).
The currently installed DRIVER is v14.6.1.1030 not modded. Is this the source of the problem ?

There is no SOFTWARE modded application available. What I am offering is the 64bit original Software (without any drivers).
If you want to change the RAID0 stripe size, you have to break the existing array and to create a new one (by loosing all data).

@Fernando ,
Thanks,
So the 64 bit Software Application is official and not modded and it should be installed without any problem.
I don’t understand why in my case the installation fails with the 1603 error code :
Description
Windows Installer a installé le produit. Nom du produit: Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology. Version du produit: 14.6.1.1030. Langue du produit: 1033. Fabricant : Intel Corporation. Réussite de l’installation ou état d’erreur: 1603
.”