[Modding] VAIO AMI BIOS Features Unlocking and Updating

@hglkau Do you open them directly by right click and run as administrator?? or using Command Prompt??

i do the both way i make right click and run as administrator nothing happen and also using Command prompt

@nonid i see you have an 8GB Ram in your bios photo which ram you are use because i cant upgrade my ram when i insert an 8 GB Ram the laptop run restart loop

@hglkau Please! do not ask such questions in the post and prefer sending a Personal message to me regarding such discussions…

@nonid - I can’t view his images, spyware programs stops the page from loading, if I disable that anti-virus stops it. Would one of you attach image to post here.
For me, I don’t need you to enable any settings via AMIBCP, you can if you want, but you could already do that before making this thread, so it’s no help right now
I would like to see his image of the BIOS though, to see if AMIBCP alone enables that settings vs what I did (IFR change, then IFR + AMIBCP, but never AMIBCP alone since I assumed you already did that and you said didn’t work)

@hglkau - you have to run all of those SCEWin individually from command prompt, you can’t click the EXE. Select a folder that contains the exe version you want to run, hold shift and press right click, then choose open command prompt here.
Then in that command window type the commands given for both 32 and then 64, repeat that for each versions folder.

@Lost_N_BIOS Sorry that I did not mentioned about it in the main post but I can enable the settings which @hglkau had attached(See attachements) by just changing their access to USER or Supervisor in AMIBCP but using this method I cannot enable the Advanced Tab(2nd one) and chipset in BIOS Menus.

*EDIT : Also Please! take a look at https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/f…&comment=161591.

Thanks for clarifying! If I would have known that, then my entire first round of tests would not have been for that setting which you already knew how to enable, sorry for that waste of time.
Nothing new at that link, but thanks for trying to add to the mix. Will have you new test BIOS soon, sorry been super busy past few days so little time to mod BIOS

@nonid - please edit board title to thread, I have to keep looking back when I go to find your BIOS work folder on my desktop thanks
*Edit - also, still waiting to know outcome of both BIOS tests at post #30

@Lost_N_BIOS No setting was changed after flashing both test files(one by one)

@nonid - Must have been a hidden setting then, all settings enable/disable are controlled there in NVRAM, confirmed with AMIBCP change and compare, but no menus apparently.
Test this please, check advanced menu, is it same or different now? First one, I swapped Advanced Form ID only, second I swapped Advanced Form set # and Form ID
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…369728092235099 << Only persons with Hardware Flash Programmer should be testing these files, or any others I post, until we have confirmed working/fixed/mod BIOS.

If both of these fail, I will swap entire contents of each next, that shouldn’t be possible to fail Then once working, we can figure out chipset next

@Lost_N_BIOS I tested both ROMs and the results are attached(in series 1st Image>ID.bin 2nd Image>Set-ID.bin)

IMG_20181220_145415__1545298148_117.234.82.193.jpg

IMG_20181220_145722__1545298204_117.234.82.193.jpg

@nonid - That’s funny I think due to I forgot the Form Set headers, since they aren’t visible in IFR I forgot there was there when I hex edited.
Thanks for testing, next I will swap out entire contents. I thought best way would be something similar to 2nd method, and assumed contents probably needed swapped too, but wanted to try easy way first just in case.
I don’t have time to do this right now, but will get it done tonight for you to try. On this same BIOS edit, I left out header changes for the sets, so Set-ID.bin will be included with below for testing as Set-ID-Header2.bin

Well, wait a minute, try this one next, easy edit! Back to all stock values, but change two bytes one at a time, in both advance form set values (one in header, one in form set #).
If this fail, then swap contents may be needed, which should work I think, this BIOS is a pain, never had such issue with advance only chipset!.
But, I also think I’ve noticed something, that will help us move forward on chipset next too, too tired to dig into it right now though, sorry. Need more time to think, would be much easier if I had this board here in person to quick test 100 things

Here is four to try, brain hurts, need board like this here to try more on the fly
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…011438868857412

@Lost_N_BIOS Results attached, (Ist Image(Freezes) - ADV-0240Swap.bin, SetByteHeader.rom, Set-ID-header.rom; 2nd Image(No Advanced Tab) - SetByte.rom).

Just tell me when you will be free, so that I can be online at that time and ready for super fast testing…

*EDIT : Please! Take a look at [Sony VAIO] BIOS modding/hacking/unlocking - Some Questions

Sorry no luck yet @nonid - thanks for testing. It’s not clear the results, first three BIOS you mention all freeze at boot screen, and then last single BIOS mentioned no advanced tab?
Thanks for link, I will see if any helpful info is there! * Edit! Nice, maybe very useful info in there right off the bat, checking now, seems like they use different file than I was editing, if this is their “Norm” then I bet progress will now be made!
* Edit2 - never mind, got my hopes up too quickly, the other module is not used in your BIOS, at least not by same name, still checking

@nonid - quick test x3 on something random, both probably failed guesses Be ready for possible failed boot/recovery with both of these test
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…533724222521784

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…972949100698665

@Lost_N_BIOS Yes. Also, Sorry for being Late.

Link is dead…

*EDIT

@Lost_N_BIOS This BIOS works normally without any problem but all the menus and options are same as of stock BIOS.

Here is link fix for the other one, thanks for report back on the SetM41 BIOS You wasn’t late? I’ve been late this week, so I’m sorry too!
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…789905961262009

So you know and don’t waste time checking, right now I am not trying for any “options/settings” to be enabled, only menu/sections, so that is all you need to check.
Ran out of time tonight, so nothing new right now.

@Lost_N_BIOS Thanks! for fixing the link. Also all things in this MOD are also same as stock BIOS.

Lucky, I assumed both of those last two might break something if wrong.

Let’s see if @lordkag has any advice for me on this one, it’s not the usual things like many other VAIO’s.
If you have a few minutes to look and could point me at the right thing lordkag I can probably figure it out, thanks!
This is the dump we are working on - http://www.mediafire.com/file/uviu5o3vsv…MP-4MB.zip/file

Was there ever any progress here in unlocking the chipset and advanced menu? I am trying to do the same on my L series all in one with no luck so far.

Unlocked: R0170Y7.zip.
Why am I doing this?

@Sweet_Kitten I have an old Sony Vaio VPCCW21FX with this BIOS version. Is it flashable for this model ? I don’t have a programmer.