Modified NVFlash v5.667.0

You can thank @Lost_N_BIOS for this one I just went to him with the idea. Theres some more things planned to be done but for now this version overrides the board ID mismatch. Passworded for now so nobody else tries to take the credit for it when that belongs to Lost, just shoot me a PM for the password.

Happy RTX 2000/3000 series flashing :wink:

Changes:

Previously on NVFlash v5.667.0…

overrideboard = Override Board ID mismatch

DOWNLOAD:

NVFlash v5.667 Patched 1
NVFlash v5.670.0 Patched 3~NEW!

I keep getting emails for passwords the only passwords I have for these archives are;

v1 erm_pui,.6y8

v2 634987dvfk

This is a dead project now it was only ever intended as a proof of concept.

1 Like

Hello. Can you send password in PM?

Hello. Can I send my password to the PM?

I just wanted to report that I used ‘NVFlash 5.667 Patched2’ to successfully crossflash an Asus Dual RTX 2070 Mini OC with 1650 MHz Boost and 190 W Power Limit (BIOS: 90.06.5A.00.49 Device Id: 10DE 1F07, Subsystem Id: 1043 8784) to an Asus Dual RTX 2070 EVO with 1710 MHz Boost and 222 W Power Limit (BIOS: 90.06.5A.00.37, Device Id: 10DE 1F07, Subsystem Id: 1043 875B).

Now I get much higher boost clock without being constantly power limited - I am limited by temperature instead (81°C default limit for both BIOS) which I can control with fan speed.

All outputs work as does 3dvision.

The 2070 crushes my 980Ti even though it’s only two thirds the size (see image below) and only uses ~200 W max as compared to ~280 W max, which means a lot less heat in my case.

980Ti Vs 2070.jpg

@chinobino good to know, I almost landed on an RTX2070 until Powercolor came to me to do some stuff for them now I’m sitting with a 6800XT Red Devil. Hopefully a lot of people are now enjoying successful crossflashes undoing deliberate nerfing by manufacturers and giving nvidia the middle finger. We have the keys to the kingdom (more or less) again folks The DeviceID and SubsystemID overrides should allow for flashing whatever vBIOS you want even on cards with the 10DE 1F02 DeviceID so you can flash to compatible vBIOSes from 10DE 1F07 cards.

1 Like

@chinobino - So w/ that flash, you confirmed both of these edits OK/allowed then, correct? Nice to hear all is working beautifully, thanks for your testing report
Overrideboard = Override Board ID mismatch
Overridesub = Override PCI Subsystem ID mismatch

@ket @Lost_N_BIOS I only tested VBIOS with the same Device ID as I assumed that Device ID can’t be changed (otherwise you could make any GeForce into a Quadro) as anything past the 500 series requires some resistors on the back of the card to be swapped out to change the PCI id.

Just now I attempted to crossflash this Gainward 2070 BIOS 90.06.3D.00.2F (Device Id: 10DE 1F02, Subsystem Id: 10DE 1F02) and this was the result (fail);

C:>nvflash 90.06.3D.00.2F.rom
NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.667.0)
Copyright (C) 1993-2020, NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)…

Adapter: GeForce RTX 2070 (10DE,1F07,1043,875B) H:–:NRM S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00

EEPROM ID (EF,6014) : WBond W25Q80EW 1.65-1.95V 8192Kx1S, page

WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible PCI Device ID’s
match the PCI Device ID of the adapter.
Adapter PCI Device ID: 1F07
Firmware image PCI Device ID: 1F02
Alternate: 1F2E
WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.1F02)
does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (1043.875B).
WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible Board ID’s
match the Board ID of the adapter.
Adapter Board ID: 00D9
Firmware image Board ID: 00D8

PCI Device ID override detected.
(This is usually only needed for very special circumstances.)

Are you sure you want to continue?
Type “YES” to confirm (all caps):
YES

Overriding GPU PCI Device ID mismatch

Please press ‘y’ to confirm override of PCI Subsystem ID’s:
Overriding PCI subsystem ID mismatch

*** WARNING: Overriding the Board ID can be very dangerous. ***
Upgrading to an image with the wrong Board ID can render the video card
unusable.
Overriding the Board ID is only needed for extreme circumstances.
A mismatched Board ID almost always means the wrong firmware image is being
used for the specific video card.

YES

Overriding Board ID mismatch
Current - Version:90.06.5A.00.37 ID:10DE:1F07:1043:875B
GPU Board (Normal Board)
Replace with - Version:90.06.3D.00.2F ID:10DE:1F02:10DE:1F02
BIOS-P/N@N12942 (Normal Board)

Update display adapter firmware?
Press ‘y’ to confirm (any other key to abort):

Storing updated firmware image…

Device ID in the rom image does not match the device ID in the chip.
Update aborted, please use a rom image that supports device ID 0x1F07.

EEPROM programming failed.

NOTE: Exception caught.
Nothing changed!

PROGRAMMING ERROR: EEPROM Program failed

device_id_fail.png

1 Like

@chinobino - I bypassed DevID mismatch, so yes, you should be able to do that (once I get it correct) As for card starting and running afterward, not sure outcome? Like you said, may need some other hardware or changes in PCB etc
But, the last two changes noted at post one, I was not 100% sure I made the correct edit, and needed testing to confirm. So, looks like it failed based on above, follow-up edit coming for you to test shortly
Thanks!

* Edit - @chinobino - Here, what happens now - Link Removed / Testing Done
Thanks for testing!

@Lost_N_BIOS Tested ‘nvflash_BoardIDMistMatch_patched2M2.exe’ and same result as before;

C:>nvflash 90.06.3D.00.2F.rom
NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.667.0)
Copyright (C) 1993-2020, NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.

Checking for matches between display adapter(s) and image(s)…

Adapter: GeForce RTX 2070 (10DE,1F07,1043,875B) H:–:NRM S:00,B:01,D:00,F:00

WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible PCI Device ID’s
match the PCI Device ID of the adapter.
Adapter PCI Device ID: 1F07
Firmware image PCI Device ID: 1F02
Alternate: 1F2E
WARNING: Firmware image PCI Subsystem ID (10DE.1F02)
does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID (1043.875B).
WARNING: None of the firmware image compatible Board ID’s
match the Board ID of the adapter.
Adapter Board ID: 00D9
Firmware image Board ID: 00D8

PCI Device ID override detected.
(This is usually only needed for very special circumstances.)

YES

Overriding GPU PCI Device ID mismatch

Please press ‘y’ to confirm override of PCI Subsystem ID’s:
Overriding PCI subsystem ID mismatch

*** WARNING: Overriding the Board ID can be very dangerous. ***
Upgrading to an image with the wrong Board ID can render the video card
unusable.
Overriding the Board ID is only needed for extreme circumstances.
A mismatched Board ID almost always means the wrong firmware image is being
used for the specific video card.

YES

Overriding Board ID mismatch
Current - Version:90.06.5A.00.37 ID:10DE:1F07:1043:875B
GPU Board (Normal Board)
Replace with - Version:90.06.3D.00.2F ID:10DE:1F02:10DE:1F02
BIOS-P/N@N12942 (Normal Board)

Update display adapter firmware?
Press ‘y’ to confirm (any other key to abort):

Storing updated firmware image…

Device ID in the rom image does not match the device ID in the chip.
Update aborted, please use a rom image that supports device ID 0x1F07.

EEPROM programming failed.

NOTE: Exception caught.
Nothing changed!

PROGRAMMING ERROR: EEPROM Program failed

@chinobino - Sorry, I just noticed I edited PCI Dev ID in that last edit instead of Board ID, or is this same/same??
Confusing, at end of your info it shows PCI Dev ID but then says board ID override failed, I think that’s same/same right?
Try now, should be no confirmation of PEI Dev ID mismatch and should directly go to or say “PCI Device ID override confirmation skipped” and then proceed
Link Removed / Testing Done

@Lost_N_BIOS AFAIK PCI Dev ID = Board ID.

Tested ‘nvflash_BoardIDMistMatch_patched2M3.exe’ and same result as before (I won’t bother posting - same exact text as above).

@Lost_N_BIOS PCI Subsystem ID is how the board is identified, software only thing. PCI Device ID is a hardware ID and should be equally as easy to override as long as the flash utility is told to ignore any hardware ID mismatches. Some caps might need to be added and/or swapped as @chinobino said but thats it.

@chinobino - Surprised to hear that it’s still same/same with above, that section that asks you to confirm board ID mismatch should have been skipped over / bypassed by going directly to >> PCI Device ID override confirmation skipped
Try these two, if both also fail, then looks like I am unable to do this particular edit, it’s checking somewhere else that I don’t see and is not easy bypassed like the rest of the other changes (Thus we should remove this from the OG posted edit and put up new one only)
Thanks again for your testing!
Link Removed / Testing Done

@Lost_N_BIOS Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news but neither ‘nvflash_BoardIDMistMatch_patched2M4.exe’ or ‘nvflash_BoardIDMistMatch_patched2M42.exe’ were able to override the Board ID and flash the card.

The process exits at the same point as before;

@ket - Please pull & replace edit #2, it’s a fail for Override Device ID (and I assume side/downgrade too, but possibly not?)
If you want a new Edit #2 to replace 5.667.0 w/ just BoardID/SubID bypassed let me know.

** Check your inbox for new version v5.670.0 w/ just the following allowed
Overrideboard = Override Board ID mismatch
Overridesub = Override PCI Subsystem ID mismatch

@chinobino - No worries, thanks for all your testing!
If I knew more about assembly I’m sure I could track down where it’s stalling after the usual bypass that work for the rest, but I’m not skilled enough in that area

I’ll get to this when I’ve not drank almost half a bottle of rum @ Lost_N_BIOS, you might need to prod me in a day or two :stuck_out_tongue:

@ket OK, will do!
Happy New Year!

@Lost_N_BIOS second file pulled, have at it for another stab. We need someone who can replace/add capacitors to a card really so we know the software side works for overriding the device ID.

@ket - Thanks. Someone with more assembly skills than I will have to do the devID bypass, I tried several ways and a few things I noticed in same routine as original and another one, but all same/same and no luck to make it happen

DeviceID is both software and hardware locked now @Lost_N_BIOS :wink: if you do an override that looks like it should work then we just have to wait for someone who can add/replace capacitors on their card for verification if the software side works.