MSI Z170A SLI Plus B905 Code X Locked bios

Hey guys

Soi have bought a pre-built PC.

My motherboard is z170A sli plus and my cpu i5 6600k. But MBO shows as MS-b905

A lot of the BIOS features seem to have gone from the BIOS, there should be 6 sections on the main part of the BIOS, like overclocking settings,advanced options, but there are only 3 tabs.
Overclocking tab is not there, which is what i want there.
Now before realising the next thing I will say, we tried updating the bios using Q flash which should be a tab on the BIOS, but its not there.
Now, I think this is a custom kinda BIOS that Msi have done, another thing that makes me think this is that there is a system explore thing built into the BIOS, which shows me pictures of my exact PC, so this is obviosuly somehing they have done…
Now wonder if it is possible to help flash a regular bios. Since I really need it. I’ve tried using msi live update 6 but it doesn’t work either.

@kqitas - Zip for me images of the BIOS, just the main sections, you don’t have to go into submenus. MSI and Qflash are not from same brand, Qflash is Gigabyte BIOS, M-Flash is MSI BIOS flash tool.
The motherboard you mentioned by name (z170A sli plus) sounds like Gigabyte brand, but then this (MS-b905) sounds like MSI. Please show me an image of the motherboard itself too so we can be sure what we’re dealing with

Since this is Intel CPU, lets also get started on BIOS dump so we can see what your mod options are (ie unlock current BIOS, or flash over to some retail BIOS) and I can give you possible options how we can proceed

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error, if you do show me image of the command entered and the error given >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
Or, copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a USB Bootable disk and do the dump from DOS (FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin)
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

I have screenshot of my bios settings below. There you can see that it is an msi motherboard. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1…aIn?usp=sharing

Yes, this is MSI BIOS/Motherboard, so no Qflash only M-Flash. Please give me everything I asked for above in a zip or rar or 7zip archive (all BIOS images, in Advanced Mode, also add image of what you see directly inside “Settings” Page, so I can see all submenus there + FPT Dump)
“System Explorer” you mentioned above, I see in your image, this is normal for many MSI boards

* Edit, before you send me FPT Dump, or take BIOS images, please first update to latest BIOS (910), to make sure it doesn’t have the stuff you wanted
https://www.msi.com/Desktop/support/Codex-X

Lots of changes between 900 and 910, change log is here
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=310716.0

How to i flash the new BIOS (910)? I have downloaded the file and it shows diffrent things

I have flashed to the newest BIOS as you can see in the pictures above. Still nothing have changed from before. The motherboard still uses some kind of locked bios setting, because i cant see them all vs the retail verion of the motherboard. I need help to convert this from pre-built BIOS to the “Normal BIOS” or the retail BIOS.

Here are the BIOS pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1…H4U?usp=sharing

Please edit your posts if no one has replied yet, thanks. I don’t know what you mean about how to flash, and “it shows different things”
Flash BIOS however the normal procedure is, I’m sure this is outlined on that BIOS page, or in the manual for this system (Since M-Flash is not an option)
In the package after extraction, I see AFU DOS and AFU Win, so you can run from desktop CMD line (And use same switches inside flash.bat in your command line) or from DOS use >> Flash.bat

Yes, I assumed BIOS may still look similar, or even exact same maybe, but thought maybe some things could be new/different for you since the change logs showed a lot of different changes between 900 and 910

I know what you need, and how to do it etc (ie unlock or flash to other BIOS), I only wanted to get you on this BIOS to see if it was better for you or not, any new settings etc.
You need to decide, do you want me to try and unlock this BIOS, or flash you over to the retail motherboard? Do you have a flash programmer? If not, order one now >> CH341A + SOIC8 test clip with cable, this way you can recover if anything goes wrong, especially if you want flashed over to the retail BIOS.
Is the motherboard 100% exactly the same, including the I/O outputs and all other slots, layout etc. If you are not sure, you need to compare them side by side, and until you get programmer probably best to try and unlock this BIOS only.

Please take images for me only as mentioned above from now on, I never need or want to see anything on “EZ Mode” only advanced. I still need to see the only image I requested above, what is shown directly inside of Settings (So I can see all submenus listed, not their contents - ie Root of “Settings”)
Also, include with that image your FPT BIOS Region dump.

I want to have the opportunity in my BIOS to do overclocking or change setting or ram speed. I have downloaded HWINFO64 and i have some screenshots of my settings. HERE: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1…2j6?usp=sharing

Now which version do i need to download? Can you please link it.

EdiT: I have updated the BIOS, but it still looks the same. No new settings in the new BIOS. I want to flash over to the retail motherboard BIOS. and i dont have any flash programmer. What I really want is the ability to overclock CPU or RAM. These settings I do not have this BIOS version. So I need your help to get these instils in Bios. I don’t know what you mean by “Unlock BIOS”.

You can do that with either method I mentioned. Which version of what are you asking about downloading? Ohh! I gotcha now, you have ME V11 so you need V11 ME System tools package, link is above in post #2 for the download page, "System Tools" are down in section "C"

Also, you did not answer any of my questions in post #6

EdiT: I have updated the BIOS, but it still looks the same. No new settings in the new BIOS. I want to flash over to the retail motherboard BIOS. and i dont have any flash programmer. What I really want is the ability to overclock CPU or RAM. These settings I do not have this BIOS version. So I need your help to get these instils in Bios. I don’t know what you mean by “Unlock BIOS”.

can you help me?

I’m having same issue were you ever able to resolve this? I flashed my bios to 910 and it still looks the same, no option to change ram frequency.

@kqitas - Sorry, I lost your thread until now Did you order and receive flash programmer yet? If yes, we can safely get you onto retail BIOS, if not, order now so we can do safely, in case something goes wrong you can recover easily.
If you are not scared, and don’t care if system bricks and will then order programmer if necessary, let me know and we can move forward without it.
Unlock BIOS means I would try to unlock this BIOS, not flash you over to retail BIOS (they are basically same, but stuff hidden in this one, all is still there)

@Danger72 - Do you have flash programmer? If not, do you want me to try and unlock the stock BIOS for you? If you have programmer, send me dump. If not, do below and let me know what error you get at step #2

If you have already modified the BIOS in ANY way, you will need to re-flash it back to factory defaults using factory method (NOT FPT)!!!
Additionally, please remove all BIOS passwords, disable secure boot, and disable TPM or Encryption if you have enabled. Do this before moving on to below

If you do not have Intel ME drivers installed, install them now from your system driver download page, then start over here after reboot.
Check your BIOS’ main page and see if ME FW version is shown. If not then > DOWNLOAD HWINFO64 HERE <

Once HWINFO is open, look at the large window on the left side, expand motherboard, and find the ME area.
Inside that section is the ME Firmware version. Take note of the version. (ie. write it down or get a screenshot)

Once you have that, go to the thread linked below, and in the section “C.2” find and download the matching ME System Tools Package for your system.
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
> DOWNLOAD " ME System Tools " packages HERE <

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and then inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder (NOT x64).
Highlight that Win/Win32 folder, then hold shift and press right click. Choose “open command window here” (Not power shell! >> * See Registry file below *).

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

((If “open command window here” does not appear, look for the “Simple Registry Edit” below…))

Step #1

Now you should be at the command prompt.
You are going to BACKUP the factory un-modified firmware, so type the following command:
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin "

>> Attach the saved "biosreg.bin ", placed into a compressed ZIP/RAR file, to your next post!!! <<

Step #2

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error(s).
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin "
^^ This step is important! Don’t forget! ^^

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

Here is a SIMPLE REGISTRY EDIT that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu, instead of Power Shell
Double-click downloaded file to install. Reboot after install may be required
> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD CMD PROMPT REGISTRY ENTRY <

If the windows method above does NOT work for you…
Then you may have to copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a Bootable USB disk and do the dump from DOS
( DOS command: " FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin " )

@Lost_N_BIOS This still active??? I’d like some help if possible