Need advice with Gigabyte Aorus 15p XD Bios Unlock

Hello all, I’m trying to mod the bios on my Aorus laptop with an 11th gen Intel processor. just so I can do some undervolting to cool it down and tinker with the ram speeds. I did some research on this forum and came across this cool little script:

I decided to give it a shot and I was able to walk through the steps and it seems like its really close to working but ends in an error message that I’m not quite sure what to do with. (Photos are at the bottom, I’m a newbie so I can only imbed one, hopefully it’s clear enough to read)

I started by going through the Disable BIOSLock option, upper left pic. It created a bootable flash drive and ended with displaying these instructions, the lower left pic.

I booted from the drive and followed everything exactly how is says and got to the grub command line and ended by entering the command and displaying this, the upper right pic.

This is where my first question comes up, after this I just typed the command reboot and went back into windows. Was I supposed to type a different command to actually apply this? Seems like it worked like it should but there was never instructions beyond this.

I came back into windows and started the script back up and ran the second option Unlock Bios. It looks like it created a backup of the bios and a new modded bios, but then when I believe it’s trying to apply, this is the error message that comes up, the lower right pic.

It looks like to me the first step didn’t actually work but I’m not sure. Is there anything obvious here I missed? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
-Kevin

Bump for a bit more visibility, appreciate any help!

Hiya!
Actually, error 167 - it is about bios lock. It seems your bios variable is still locked.
Where did you buy your laptop? What is your OS\bios version?

ru.efi - disable lock “dump unlocked file”
and only this file mods or re-flash !

RU.EFI // FPT commands

first send file “locked dump” or link for your bios
i will send OFFSET MAP or BIOS LOCK offset

or on ME FW domain/bios lock “but this is probarly hidden”
try also GOOGLE -find hotkey for advanced access !!!

not recommend any autoscript ,.,.your file + your offset
.,now looks incompatible “for older bios version”

RU.EFI or GRUB “and OFFSET map from your bios file”
and you working only on variable offsets “not FLASH !!!”

or find HOTKEY for advanced access “don’t risk brick” .)

//edit
similar like posted sub-forum
bios lock / XTU inference / oc feature this items try re-enable “not more”
and try XTU under windows “easy way for repair under-volt lock” or latest Throttle stop not works ?

send file first "for offset map"

XTU/TS - uv doesn’t work. That’s why @kev1 asks an advice.
Actually, I do not recommend any autoscript too, but this zip-achive looks really good.
Bios lock variables are correct 0x1c = 0x683, GUID id’s with hex terms from patches.txt are correct too for this platform intel 11th gen Aorus 15p laptops, but how is it works, how this script injects hex terms in the right hex address? Perheps this script works fine, but who knows…
@kev1 As I know just one persone check this script and author of the script gets positive feedback from that persone. The string in a grub shell looks different as I saw before (…_cv ?)

1 Like

xtu works .,but must re-enable XTU INFERENCE in bios “not emulation”

best send here actual bios “verify offset” and manual works on RU.EFI or try scrip after unlock “but this not recommend for compatibility”

edit,.
or hint above - try contact author “for update”

try fist DUMP via FPT “ME FW tools ,.topic here on forum”

DUMP command

FPTW64.exe -D aorus.rom -BIOS

or SCRIP folder contains FPTW64.exe - here open CMD
,…,or a link to the current bios “but this is not exactly ideal”

Hey thanks for the replies. I went ahead and ran FPTW64.exe and dumped the current bios (I believe). Here is the file it generated:

aorus.zip (5.0 MB)

Let me know if that’s what you are looking for and what would be my next steps.

@kev1
I’ve checked your bios file. Yep, your bios lock variable is 0x1c(0x683), but I’ve found one new additional string(Default: DefaultId: 0x0, Value (8 bit): 0x1 {5B 06 00 00 00 01}) below bios lock string. I didn’t see before that string in another original or modified bios files. :thinking:
So, ok. Don’t worry about bios lock, as wrote @NeXt3R you have two ways for bios unlocking before flashing: u can try GRUB or RU manually.
But now you need to modify your bios(save the clear copy of your bios in safety place).
I can help you, but first read this:
https://winraid.level1techs.com/t/overpowered-tongfang-cyberpower-machrevo-machenike-unlocked-bios-guide-w-files/33133
then you will choose which kind of bios menu you want. I know two variants with unlocked hidden menus:
https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/1573fc34-ea2b-4371-bcc8-69210e31b254
So, where did you buy your laptop? What is your preinstalled OS\bios version? It is can be important… e.g. bios ver. fe02 can’t be re-flash again… etc.

@Zentsi

Thanks again. The bios version is FE02, I just checked through cmd:

biosVersion

The model is a Gigabyte Aorus 15p XD. I bought it through Best Buy and it came with Windows 11, but I ended up doing a fresh install of Windows 10 because it’s what I’m used to and I wanted to get rid of all of the bloat programs. I’ve also done some tinkering with the graphics card voltage to undervolt via MSI Afterburner and have windows limiting the clock speed/turbo of the processor to keep it from getting too hot. Both of these can easily be reverted. It has an i7-11800H and mobile RTX 3070 if that info is of any help.

I think either of those bios menu’s look fine, I’ve read through the guide you posted, I’m going to read it a few more times. I’ve saved the copy of the bios I sent in my last post on my machine and on an external flash drive.

@kev1
Got it!
Well, you neet to update/get another latest bios version. Download and install FB07 ver. from Laptops|AORUS - GIGABYTE Global, then check bios version again.
During this time I’ll make a bios mod for you if you want.

@Zentsi
That sounds great, I will get FB07 downloaded and updated. I would greatly appreciate if you made the bios mod.

Quick update, trying to install FB07 but each time it goes through the automatic installer program, it looks like it works but still has FE02 installed after. I’m trying to figure out what’s going on. FB07 is the latest for windows 10 and FE02 is the latest for 11 from what I’m finding. I will respond back if I figure anything out.

FE02 - your model ? “not bios version”

edit
when you open smart flash - GEN1 / GEN2 “fe02 vs fb07”
and your BIOS LOCK is OK ,.problem is different

I’m sorry, I looked wrong “disabled in fail-safe” or is enabled and some new variable offset protection “I don’t know how it works” :thinking:

bios you need only FE02 ! “GEN2” .,.this is OK

BIOS Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x1C
Default: DefaultId: 0x0, Value (8 bit): 0x1 {5B 06 00 00 00 01}
One Of Option: Disabled, Value (8 bit): 0x0 (default MFG) {09 07 04 00 20 00 00}
One Of Option: Enabled, Value (8 bit): 0x1 {09 07 03 00 00 00 01}

/// also is disabled “defaults” OC change,…,Xtu inference / etc

Section_PE32_image_Setup_Setup IFR.rar (224.1 KB)

///////
if you have admin password in bios - remove this
NVRAM protection looks need this for work or try load fail-safe config ./

or try only this

Overclocking Lock, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0xDF
One Of Option: Disabled, Value (8 bit): 0x0

OverClocking Feature, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x135
One Of Option: Enabled, Value (8 bit): 0x1

OverClocking Feature sometimes add new TAB in bios for OC / OC lock - try disable + TS

GRUB or better is RU.EFI “visual verify offsets” is possible your bios using any protection for this changes
try luck

edit"
https://nstarke.github.io/firmware/uefi/ru.efi/bios/2020/08/01/modifying-bios-using-ru-efi.html
RU.EFI tutorial “example” - you need mod only SETUP domain
above is your offsets map ,…,in link above “topic here” my pre-configured ru.efi.rar + hints for usage

and visual verify all offsets “defaults” - for this is better RU.EFI than GRUB !!!

Whoa…!
Try older versions, then try to update to FB07 again.
In case of success make a new bios dump via fptw, .rom or .bin (fptw64.exe -d yourbiosversionfb07.bin -bios).

FB07 - is different / than FE02 -more recent
FB07 - afuwin “GEN1” / FE02 “gen2” - custom flasher

or variations for UEFI “win10 /win11”
but FE02 - actual ,.,recommend “no update you need” and i think this is MOBO mark “not version”

edit
also the update package contains both versions + detection – that’s why you can’t update “FE02 - latest”

@NeXt3R
Of course I am not sure, but I’ve just repeated words of other modders:

Blockquote
"That issue was found in Aorus 15p 11th gen models with bios FE02, it cannot be re-flash again, even if we already disabled “bios lock” "

That’s why better to have FB07 ver, but of course it is not necessary.