[OFFER] ASUS CrossHair V Formula Z MOD bios 2201

Can i use this mode with my CrossHair V Formula Z with Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIE as boot drive? And will it work widouth any differences (exept speed as its PCIE 2.0 not 3.0) as it where motheboard with M.2 support?
Do it work out of the box with this mod or i need to to some tricking to?

What adapter you suggest for Samsung 960 EVO with this motherboard?

What you think is it worth to buy 2 smaller drives pay some extra and make raid? Is raid latency delay big problem?

Is anything else i need to know?
(i dont have knowledge with raid or m.2 drives, othervise i have put pc’s together)

I’m using a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB m.2 over PCIE as my boot drive. As long as you follow the instructions in post 8 all should go pretty smoothly for installing Windows 10. Can’t direct compare since I was using windows 7 before on a raided SSD drive, but the M.2 is massively faster than the raided SSD.

As for PCIE adapter, I’m not sure it matters much it’s just a bridge. I’m using this: hxxps://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01FU9J…0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Also, I used the ULTIMATE-MOD_C5FZ.zip from the first post.
I tried without any success to install windows 7 simply because I hate windows 10, but unfortunately I’m stuck with it. So altering and tweaking to unuglify the OS.

As a side note, I had grabbed a copy of windows 7 that had the nvme drivers added to it (since my copy wouldn’t see the drive), with the samsung driver on flash drive I was able to install windows 7 right up until it said “Finishing up” and then it gave a generic “can’t copy a driver”, and failed install there. It wouldn’t tell me what the driver was that failed to copy and unfortunately I wasn’t sure how to find it, in the command line or regedit. I read I was suppose to be able to get into the device manager to see which driver hadn’t installed, but the command wouldn’t work. So after a couple days of trying, gave up, hung my head in shame, and installed windows 10, which installed flawlessly. Then the days and days of fixing that screwed up OS so it would just look nice and work (win 10 and 4k monitor aren’t friendly). W4RH4WK 's debloat windows is nice. but careful one of them disabled homegroups. haha

Anywyas, signed up to say thank you to Stickmode for his efforts to allow this to work! :slight_smile:

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded blank lines removed (to save space)

Hello all,

thanks for the work did on this mod bios, very much appreciated. I am using it on my system running an AMD FX 9590, so far so good, it’s running quite stable with my overclock settings to 5GHZ.
My only concerns is that since i used the mod bios for the Crosshair V Formula (the non Z) on my other system running an AMD FX 8320 (the one from this post : [OFFER] Asus Crosshair V Formula 1703 mod BIOS), i found quite strange that my boot time is longer on the Formula-Z than the regular Formula. Both systems are pretty much the same except the processor and the SSD, a 1TB Sandisk Extreme on the Crosshair V Formula-Z and a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO on the regular Crosshair V Formula. All the reset is made of the same components :
32GB of DDR3 2133Mhz
AMD R9 290X
2TB Western Digital as secondary disk.

I found an interesting description in the post of the Crosshair V Formula mod bios which tilt me up : “[Fixed] - -----> AMD AHCI ROM v3.3.2.0 for DEV_4391 (Missing module added) The module was missing in the original BIOS for the device 4391” and which seems from that person be the reason of the long boot time on that motherboard : “The addition of the missing module AMD AHCI ROM v3.3.2.0 for DEV_4391, if you use your system in AHCI mode, should give you an noticeable improvement in startup time of up to 13 seconds for Windows.”
I am wondering if that wouldn’t be the same problem with the Crosshair V Formula-Z and if yes, how to fix it ? I have seen that entry for the ultimate bios i am using in the description of the mod bios : “PD: You will get a faster start-up with this Bios (AMD AHCI module), that’s why I called it “Ultimate”.” but in fact, it seems that we are not as fast as the mod bios for the Crosshair V Formula in my opinion.
thanks in advance for the help.

@del_piero3 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!

You can check it by opening the BIOS, extracting the related AMD AHCI ROM module and check the DeviceID by using an Hex Editor like HxD.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:
shall i extract this module with UBU ?

The UBU tool itself cannot extract BIOS modules, but you can use the UEFITool or the AMI MMTool to do it.

@leaderdog :
Will it work with windows 7 and will it work same as with windows 10?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing to the author (to save space and for a better readability)

@misarak , not sure about the meaning of your question, but if you want to know if the tool is working in Windows 7 as it is in Windows 10, i would assume that the answer is yes :).

@Fernando , just to double check about your procedure, i extract the sata AHCI module with UEFITool, then i open the resulting file with HxD and i look for DEV_ to check if i am dealing with the right module, correct ?

Yes, this is way I would do it as well.

Unuseful post. I did get it working.

hi, thx for your impressiv work.

i’m gonna try with a 960 evo 1to. i should go for the ultimate bios if i understand everything :slight_smile:

i give you update next week when i receive ssd.

edit : got the ssd, waiting for adaptator

EDIT 2 : just receive the adaptator, branded JZLL with rad and thermal pad, looks great, i’m rly excited. going to flash and install win7

Ok iam stuck

ultimate bios updated by asus flashback

Disk is in bios as pata ss
I see it on Windows install before installing drivers but if i click next i got error "your computer can’t start this disk. Check if the controller is active in bios"

Also i was able to create an install partition on the ssd but on reboot i got error "reboot and select proper boot device"

Thx for your time

edit : work on windows starting with my classic hdd

SAMSUNG EVO 960 1to test with samsung magician
seq read : 1700
seq write : 1450
iops read : 246
iops write :219

Edit 2 : ok i feel stupid i didnt see post #8 … installing Windows on uefi mode working great

Again thx bro you re awesome

hi ,
can somebody help me out this. When i use my usb flashback button nothing happend , Only my red light on my mainbord disappears.

Googled the problem, found the site, registered, downloaded, updated, read further and applied tricks.
Installing Win10 from USB straight onto PCIe m.2 as I am typing with a grin because I feel like some cheap hacker…
when in reality, we got some serious hobby ASUS support here!

Thanks for making my day, love you all XD

i followed your guide up to booting the usb stick from uefi. everytime i do. it goes onto a black screen and thats it. ive not been able to get any further

With this new BIOS installed, I am no longer able to create a RAID5 array that Windows can see. It always sees them as individual drives now.

Hi,
I’ve got the mentioned MBO and used your modded BIOS cause I couldn’t get my WD Green SSD in AHCI mode. Since i couldn’t get it to work after 2 days working on it i decided to put my toshiba HDD back in and it works in AHCI like a charm. But now when i power up my PC it always only beeps 1 time. Is it normal or should I check the reason for it?
Best regards.

I have successfully updated the Bios using the Ultimate Bios Mod version and have noticed in HWiNFO64 and Aida64 that the reported AMD AGESA version is OrochiPIV1.5.0.2. I do see how the Main post indicated the version should be 1.5.0.7. I checked the official Asus 2201 version, Mod and Ultimate Mod versions using UBU 1.69.5 to confirm the reported versions. Everything reported by UBU 1.69.5 for the Mod and Ultimate Mod versions lines up as the Main post indicated. I also noticed that UBU 1.69.5 reported the Asus 2201 bios with Agesa version 1.5.0.2 and the other devices reported older versions as well. I wanted to confirm if this is an issue others have also experienced or noticed.

Hello Everyone!
I have successfully installed the “Ultimate” bios from the initial post. My system is now able to boot from my Samsung SM951 PCIE M.2 drive and I couldn’t be happier! Just wanted to say thank you for the excellent work!
One question- -I have the same drive in a newer laptop, and I see about 1600MB/sec writes and 3000MB/sec reads on that machine. Are the somewhat slower speeds attributable to the fact that the Crosshair V Formula-Z is PCIe 2 vs the new laptop’s PCIe 3? or is there some way to squeeze some more performance out of this sucker?

Yes, it’s explained in a couple of the previous posts that because of the PCIe v2 on the Crosshair board, you’re not going to get over about 1600 read or write. I think I was getting 1450 write, 1650 read.

Same drive in my new PCIe v3 motherboard gets like 1650 write, 3000-something read.