[OFFER] Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 fixed BIOS 9903, modded with NVMe + others

@nuovagrafica , @hancor , @toysareforboys

Could you please move this conversation to the correct thread? It is not related to the BIOS I offered and may confuse others.

@plutomaniac would it be possible to move the posts please?

Thank you.

@Iken

That is precisely why I created the new thread… :slight_smile:

Cheers

where is the new thread for overclock setting and cpu temperature please?

Thaks so much Iken, I had a p8z68-v PRO modded to support nvme, the mb died days ago.
I bought the same mb (that was the idea) from Aliexp but i received a non PRO version.
After some googleing i found your post and your directions, and now I have the nvme working again, so thank you very much !!

Glad to know I helped!

All the Best,

Hi Guys,

I am using:

ASUS P8Z68-V Rev 1.xx
i7-3770k and GTX 980
BIOS Version 3603, 09.11.2012 running Legacy
SMBIOS 2.6
WIN 10 Pro 10.0.19043

I tried to flash the bios as described above:

1. Upgraded to ME 8.1.70.1590 => worked fine
2. Extracted and copied BIOS file on FAT32 USB drive
3. Entered BIOS and then EZ Flash 2 to find BIOS on USB drive
4. EZ Flash 2 reportet that BIOS file integrity check failed (same problem as described by nuovagrafica above)

Since EZ Flash didnt work and I had a spare BIOS chip, I then tried to flash the BIOS with AFUDOS.exe (tool provided by American Megatrends to flash all sorts of their BIOS). Bricked the BIOS with that => when booting only black screen, BIOS reset also not possible.

Did I do anything wrong? Could it be that since the Motherboard doesnt report as P8Z68-V / GEN3 in WIN System Information (it identifies there as "P8Z68-V") it is an older version (not GEN3)? I assumed, since I am able to run the 3770k and GTX 980 in PCIe 3.0 mode it is GEN3.

If the BIOS provided is not the correct one for my motherboard and nobody has one modded already, I would be happy to try modding a BIOS by myself and share it here if there is any good guide. I am also interested in other changes like remove fan speed low rpm limits etc.

Thanks in advance for any help / advise!

@Asomur
Here is ur NVMe mod, ONLY for P8Z68-V (NOT the GEN3) bios 3603 (Win7/8 version).
Flashing procedures and results at UR OWN risk, as this motherboard has no USB FBF procedure for recovery.

EDIT: This is ur country restrictions, use Tor browser or VPN.
Asus has 2 bios files for download, one for XP/Vista and another for 7/8.

NVMe Support for old Systems

Thanks MeatWar! Good to know that my motherboard is not the GEN3. Could you check the link again please? My browser gives back Error Message "403 Forbidden" when using it. What does it mean for me that the BIOS you suggest is "WIN 7/8 version"?

I am aware of the risk, thank you for mentioning it again! I will need to get another BIOS chip first or the tools to flash the one I bricked when not plugged in to the motherboard.

Is there any description of the process to mod my BIOS by myself? Maybe it is feasible to change/add exactly the same stuff that Iken changed?

Hi Ken,

Thanks for this great update and the immense work put into this legacy board. I managed to upgrade the Intel ME fw via dos and the Bios via ez flash and was able to reinstall Windows now on a GPT disk. The only issue I’m having is when I switch the PCI Rom Priority to EFI compatible, the display immediately goes to sleep. I have it connected to a RX570 card and here are my settings: imgur(.)com/a/DSeT9R0 . At the moment, i hv reset the bios and left it with Legacy. Any advise if there are other settings that need to be configured so I can enable EFI compatible?

Hi @HackyMacky ,

That would suggest to me that your particular RX570 card does not contain a UEFI-compatible BIOS.
If the system works then there is no issue really. However, if the system won’t boot, you need another GPU I’m afraid; Z68 boards are a very early UEFI implementation.
From memory, it should work!

I checked via GPU-Z from Techpowerup and it shows my card has uefi bios. imgur(.)com/a/eQLvSLL I’ll keep researching about this in case it related to an older vBios. Thanks

Hmm…
Most odd.
If the BIOS definitely shows 9903 as the loaded version, I’m at a loss unless there is a compatibility issue with the GPU and/or its BIOS.
Good luck!

Edit: I’ve just re-uploaded the BIOS with the latest NVMe v5 file - try updating again just to make sure.

Could I ask you to reupload to somewhere please?

Just confirming that this should also work on a P8Z68-V PRO, which is not a Gen 3? The non-Gen3 P8Z68-V PRO shares the same bios (3603) as the non-PRO P8Z68-V.

Thanks so much!

i have an ASUS P8Z68-V LE and i’d love to upgrade my bios so that uefi works, seems that the latest official bios is kinda broken…
i need to install win10 (i’m still on 7) to get security updates & because win10 support freesync/gsync (i got gifted a new monitor that is not anymore the old 4:3)
pls send help and release a similar patch for my mobo or can i install it on my? is that much different?

@PlsSendHelpp Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Since it doesn’t make much sense to post the same request simultaneously into 2 different threads, I have deleted the “BIOS Modding Request” thread you have started today.
If you should not get the requested modded BIOS within this already existing thread, you can (re-)post your BIOS Modding Request.
Tip: If you want to address your request to a specific Forum member, you should use the @<nickname> option. Only this way the related supporter will be notified about your request.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi…mine is the p8z68v-gen3 liquid cooled i5 2500k@4ghz…so I’m hopefully in the right place… I’ve been booting from a sata SSD uefi/gpt formatted w10 and have a pcie adapter for a nvme SSD…and didn’t realise the gen3 didn’t support booting from the nvme SSD…and then I found you guys… awesome work…just to confirm…the winME flash is just done using dos flash tool then flash the rom… correct?
Oh and is there any restriction running the igpu in dual monitor mode…pcie GPU as the boot monitor igpu as second monitor…oh and the gpu is a Nvidia gtx1650 super…does that need uefi compatibility somewhere?

Hi @2Old2Slow,
Absolutely correct; flash the ME update via DOS boot USB then flash the ROM (the ROM can be done from a drive connected to the PC rather than having to copy to a USB, if it’s easier).
Sorry, I no longer have the board (upgraded to Z690 last year) so I cannot confirm if dual-GPU boot in EFI mode works or not. I can only suggest trying to Enable that option in the BIOS.
I can’t foresee any issues with a GTX1650 as they have a UEFI BIOS as far as I’m aware - running GPUZ would confirm. The 1650 should also be able to run dual monitors itself if the iGPU option isn’t available.
Hope that helps!

Ummm thanks for replying…if it helps I’ve been using EFI/gpt boot drives for years with dual GPU set in the bios without issue…also yes the NVIDIA card supports dual monitors natively. I think I can get a few more years out of the mobo and cpu if the nvme bios works for me…oh after the intelME flash I gather I can use the Asus ezyflash as you say to flash the bios rom from a HDD?

Yep, no issues with that.

Hi, sorry to bother you again … I’m just preparing the PC to do the ME and 9903 bios flash. I set the option rom to uefi compatible etc saved it and now the PC won’t boot. I know I can get it back by resetting CMOS but have I done that step out of order ie should those bios changes only be done after 9903 is installed?