[OFFER] Asus Rampage IV Extreme - Nvme Bios mod (4901)

@Merovingian

Only x79 generation Asus mainboard that includes NVMe boot, is Asus X79-Deluxe.

Follow this link: https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-…el-chipset.html

Extract those 3 files from Asus X79-Deluxe latest bios file build 4805. Follow the above process and integrate in your bios and try with this way…

Hey guys, I just signed up to the forum and I wanted to ask - Does anyone have a modded version of the X79 Rampage 4 Formula BIOS? I already have a modded BIOS file with all the latest module updates from the ROG forums that BOLTS4BREKFAST made, but he hasn’t posted in a while (6+ months) and I wanted to ask if I can get one that doesn’t have the latest microcode updates. I wanted one without the microcode updates because I am worried about the performance impact on my 3930K CPU.

What do you guys think? Is the performance impact nothing to worry about? Should I just go ahead and use the one with the CPU microcode update, or does the CPU microcode update/s severely affect performance?

@Ice009 - two comments, if you don’t like the performance hit, flash back to other previous BIOS. Only you can test and find out how big of an impact that affects your system and how you use it. And, I think you can disable protection via some program now, but I have not looked that much into it.

I can make you a BIOS with any microcodes you want in it, new or old, all you have to do is link to BIOS you want modified and tell me exactly which microcodes you want edited and which versions you want them to be.

Hi Lost_N_BIOS, could you maybe just do the Rampage 4 Formula 5001 BIOS and update everything in it?

I don’t really know anything about what specific versions of what to use. I’m new to all of this. I’d like to have everything updated to the newest versions (I assume there is a limit to what new versions of modules you can use as my hardware may not be able to support it?). The new microcode update, if you think it’s worth having, I guess you could put that in there too. Microcode for both SB-E and also IVB-E (I might buy an 8 core Xeon later on down the line if I can find one for a good price second-hand). I’d also like one with all the modules updated, but with just the stock microcode that is already in 5001.

I really don’t know what to ask you to update. What can be updated? LAN, NVMe (can this be updated?), what else? Intel ME?

If you’re saying there is software where you can turn it off in Windows, then I might just try that. Anyone know the name of it? I also thought you can’t turn it off if it’s been updated in the BIOS?

Also, you said to test the BIOS and then flash back to an old version if the performance hit is too much, well that is why I wanted one without the microcode updates. If I flash back to an older BIOS, I can’t use NVMe, hence why I have asked for one with and without the microcode updates.

@Ice009 - I don’t have time to update everything in it, you can do all that with UBU anyway with a few clicks. I offered to change out the CPU microcodes, thinking you already had some updated BIOS in mind but you wanted different microcodes instead.

Yes, with no microcode updates and old BIOS, windows updates will install Spectre/Meltdown protection, and there is a software tool for checking that and it has an enable/disable feature. I am unsure of this tools name, you will have to google

You can put NVME support into any BIOS you want

Here is a link to BOLTS4BREKFAST’s modded BIOS with NVMe support already added. They’re from March, earlier this year. Not sure what else he’s updated in there? Maybe you can tell by looking at them? I know nothing about modding BIOS files, so that’s why I’m asking you guys.

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AH…958E7AE29E4BA6C

Is it OK for you to just change out the CPU microcodes in these already modded BIOS files?

Also, is there newer versions of NVMe? Does that ever need updating at all?

just with replacing the pcie adaptor gave you such boost ? nice!

@Ice009 - yes, I can do anything I want to a BIOS, modified or stock doesn’t matter NVME would only need updated if someone did the mod long ago using an old version of the currently available NVME module we all use now.
For your reference, here is what all is in there now, so you can see the versions of everything currently there. On the microcodes, there is only 5x microcodes in there (#1-5), but then duplicated into 4x different volumes that’s why it looks like so many (3 are out of date)

BOLTS4BREKFAST-RIVF-5001-Mod.png

The NVME Module in there currently is not the standard one we all use now, I am not sure what it is, possibly older version? You’d have to ask @BOLTS4BREKFAST I looked back to see if he mentioned, but he didn’t post in this thread so not sure where you got this?

Hello everyone.
Yesterday i tryed to update my BIOS to support my new 970evo. Tryed the File from OP but no chance… also another one… same… my Bios LED blinked for like 4 seconds but still no support.
Then i tryed the Biosfile from this Thread: https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-…ner-s-club.html
(also includes Spectre and Meltdown fix) my board needed some minutes to flash (it worked) and then i was able to boot from my NVME SSD yayyy
The speed is incredible! Used a cheap 20€ PCIe/NVME m.2 Adapter since there is no difference because its just a 1:1 link without any controller.
Anyway, i wanted to thank you guys.
Used Last Pciex16 slot.

nvme4.jpg

This is a working option. I did exactly the same and everything works. I want to add that you definitely need to have a driver for the SSD on the installation flash drive. I installed Windows 7 PRO x64.

My setup;
CPU: i7-3930K
Mobo: Rampage IV Extreme
BIOS: 4901 + NvmExpressDxE_4
GPU: 1080GTX
SSD: Samsung 970 PRO + Intel 750NVMe SSD

Hallo,

Wird hier deutsche Unterstützung auch angeboten? Ich habe eine Rampage IV mit dem aktuell BIOS 4901 installiert. Dann habe ich die Zip Datei runtergeladen und mit dem ASUS AI Suite 1.02.15 das Bios geflasht… Jedoch wird meine NVME SSD immer noch nicht im BIOS angezeigt(Im Windows ist sie ersichtlich)… Ich habe festgestellt, dass das Bios nicht aktualisiert wird… Ich verstehe jedoch nicht weshalb nicht…

Gruss

Sniper8952

@sniper8952 English only please.

You can only update to moded BIOS using ASUS BIOS Flashback function (with properly formatted pendrive connected to right USB port on the IO [correct port should be marked]).

Hi, All,

Newbie for this forum.

I’m running Rampage IV Extreme with 3960x CPU. Trying to use ASUS Hyper with 2 x NVME M.2 SSD. Can I use 2 x NVME on 1 x Asus hyper PCIE card?
I think Raid should not be workable, but would like to know that I can use 2 x NVME.

Thanks.

Hello sniper.
Ich kann dir gern auf deutsch antworten…
Schau bitte, dass du auch das richtige BIOS bootest. Auf diesem Board sind 2! Ich hab auch eins mit diesem Update für NVME Support und das zweite hab ich noch nicht geflasht. Somit läuft das ganze nur auf einem.
PS: das flashen funktioniert nur richtig über USB am dafür vorhandenen Port.

Liebe Grüße

Sorry for the German talk. I just told him to boot from the right bios, since we have 2 and you can flash both individually. I also just flashed 1 and don’t have NVME support on bios 2.
Kind regards.

RIVE booting from a SAmsung Evo 970 Plus 500Gb

NVMe Speed.PNG

1 Like

The OP’s R4E.zip extracts a R4E.CAP file found in the first post wont load in "UEFI Bios utility:. I copied the 4901.CAP also to the same USB stick and it and it loads fine…

Does anyone have any suggestions for loading the OP’s

1. format your usb flash drive to FAT32 filestystem
    2. put R4E.CAP to the root of the falsh drive, also you can copy the file and place it in the same directory nameв as R4E.ROM (regarding R4E official manual)
    3. put your flash drive to OC white usb port
    4. turn off the pc, hold the OC connection button until it starts blinking 3-5 sec
    5. wait until it starts blinking fast and then stop blinking 3-5 minutes
    6. start your pc, configure your bios likes described on the first page

windows 10 installed on Samsung EVO 970 + PCI-E M.2 NGFF for SSD V2 + Heatsink Ret adapter

1231asdfdf.jpg

I had an issue using the provided CAP in OPs post. I tried with many different sticks formatted many different ways, using Diskpart and Windows formatting. None of them worked. I took the time to create my own for RIVE (Rampage IV Extreme) by dropping the NVME driver into a freshly downloaded (ASUS Website) rev4901 bios. I will attach it here for anyone that wants to try this one (in case OPs doesn’t work for you too).

EDIT Unable to upload because of file size limit. I have uploaded it to the following:
***EDIT EDIT *** Unable to upload my post because of a lack of posts on this forum (literally registered an account an hour ago to post this to be fair). I have attached a text document that contains many of the same steps plus a MEGAUPLOAD link.

1. Run command prompt as Administrator
2. Type DISKPART
3. Plug in your USB drive. Note the size of the device (which is likely much smaller than your hard drives). WARNING >> THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING ON THE USB DRIVE
4. Type LIST DISK
5. Locate your USB thumb drive. Remember the drive number
6. Make sure you have selected the right device.
7. Type SELECT DISK xxxxxxx where xxxxxxx is the drive number from step 5
8. Type CLEAN
9. Type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
10. Type ASSIGN LETTER=yyyyyyy where yyyyyyy is a drive letter you aren’t currently using
11. Transfer the file attached here to the root of the drive (note I kept it lower case, this worked fine for me)
12. Plug into white USB port on back of motherboard
13. Press and hold the appropriate ROG Connect key until it blinks a few times
14. Wait a while until it is done. The ROG Connect key will slowly blink. If the USB has a light to indicate disk read/write, it will blink too.

RIVE NVME BIOS.txt (1.55 KB)

First of all thank you to the OP for the information provided.

Equipment Used:
ASUS RIVE from stock bios 4901
aliexpress.com/item/1005003027064941.html
Cheap Aliexpress M2 Adapter PCIe 4.0 X4
Corsair MP400

Connected M.2 adaptor card to bottom red PCIe slot.

The already modded BIOS versions I found in this thread did not work for me. Got an error message “The file format is incorrect. Ensure that the filename extension is .CAP” when trying the file in EZ-Flash and Bios Flashback failed after a couple of seconds.

I went through the win-raid.com/t871f50-HowTo-Get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html]process described in this other Win-Raid thread and was able to create my own modded BIOS.

This gave an error message in EZ-Flash that it failed “Security Validation” which I was not surprised by, but using the file in Flashback the update was completed correctly.

here is the file for those interested
mediafire.com/file/k4gihs4b3856r8k/R4E.CAP/file

(I tried to use this site’s file upload but got an error forbidding the file type.)

Hi,

I have just tried to flash me R4E with the attached BIOS file but it seems that it is corrupted. @Fernando can you please check it?
I have downloaded the following file and it works super! (found it in Overclock.net
https://www.overclock.net/attachments/r4e-zip.47908/

THX!