[OFFER] Asus ROG Zenith Extreme BIOS/UEFI_v2601 mod ROM see post #98

@osonos

Okay you are on BIOS/UEFI version 2001

I will post a number of BIOS/UEFI screen shots and see if you have them properly enabled:

Settings: NVMe RAID mode = Enabled

ZE set NVMe RAID mode Enabled.png

PCIe RAID mode = ENABLED for your adapter for where ever you locate an M.2 NVMe adapter

ZE PCIe RAID Mode.png

SATA MODE = RAID

ZE SATA Mode RAID.png

NVME RAID Mode = ENABLED

ZE_NVMe RAID mode enabled.png

You should see your RAID and non-RAID drives after rebooting with the above three settings.
You will then need to configure your RAID drives and/or any spares or non-RAID drives.

ZE Array Properties.png

Physical Disk Properties shown

ZE Physical Disk Properties.png

After doing the first setting above in the AMD PBS section where you set NVMe RAID mode = Enabled and reboot
you should see the RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility

ZE RAIDXpert2 Config Utility.png

Physical Disk set = ON

ZE_Physical Disk ON.png

ZE_RAIDXpert2_Configuration_Utility.png

Check your settings and see if they ALL match up depending on your individual drivesā€¦

Once your are back into Windows10 you can install the AMD Utilitiy program RAIDXpert2 and check your drive mappings and configuration as per the pic below:

RAIDXpert2_Win10 listing.png

Cheers

Hans

Has there been any further information on the resizeable bar?

@KraZy_SkitZy

Nothing directly, other than being upgraded to the level 2 tech engineers.

But then this process is also dependent on AMD, NVidia, Intel who have all committed themselves to rolling this out in an orderly fashion.
Iā€™d reasonably expect something in the next two weeks, as that is the stated timeline for all the major players.<br />But then with Covid-19 everything is getting stretched.

Meanwhile my EKWB waterblock is to be delivered on Monday after a 2.5 month delay, so Iā€™ll be having a system flushing exercise in the next couple days anyway.

Cheers

How much newer is the microcode in your modded bios vs stock bios? Have you found it has offered anything, maybe like broader ram brand and frequency support?

@KraZy_SkitZy

Yes stability has improved with the newer microcode.
Depending on the Windows build number, and a number of preview software build, Iā€™ve had the motherboard boot into 3200Mhz on 64GB of RAM.
Albeit, I had to juice the voltage up to 1.4V, if I remember correctly.
It was stable on 3000Mhz at 64GB of RAM, which is slightly better than the rated 2933Mhz of my 2950X CPU.
It has been rock stable, even in gaming, at 2933 with 64 GB of RAM.
If I drop down to 4 sticks of RAM 3200 Mhz is a breeze. Mind you I have two kits of G.Skill 32GB rated @ 3200 Mhz with CL14 timings.
Just did a sample bios with the latest microcode using UBU 1.79.15 but Iā€™m in the middle of my water loop teardown.
Of course heat is the biggest enemy of all circuitry so Iā€™ve availed my self of the following for my GPU waterblock:

Fujipoly/mod/smart Ultra Extreme XR-m Thermal Pad - 60 x 50 x 1.0 (& 1.5mm & 2.0mm sizes) - Thermal Conductivity 17.0 W/mK

In addition to watercooling loop (~20C drop), the thermal pads above will drop temps by roughly ~10C yielding approximately a ~30C total temperature drop for the graphics card.
On the stock cooler the EVGA RTX 3090 card runs in the 70-90 C when running benchmarks and the fans spool up 100%.
With water block and premium thermal pads I should get this down to the 35-45 C running flat out.

If I have a little extra thermal pad I may apply to the motherboard circuitry, in particular: ASUS Cooling Kit ROG Zenith Extreme AMD Ryzen Threadripper TR4 X399 motherboard $20.00 USD SOC heatsink helps keep SOC power delivery area cool and enhances DRAM overclocking potential Which you can find here:

https://www.performance-pcs.com/air-coolā€¦coolingkit.html

This is supposed to help the SOC achieve better RAM overclocking potential, but replacing the cheesy pad with the above Fujipoly should yield better results.
Also plan to replace the thermal pads on the power stages, so weā€™ll see how that goes.
VRMs Iā€™ve mounted a water block: https://shop.watercool.de/HEATKILLERZ-MBā€¦AMPAGE-VI-ACRYL

Iā€™ll update when Iā€™m back up and running.

Cheers

i have 8x8gb kingston 3600 ram, an its been a breeze running at 3200 cas 16, but even one notch higher, the motherboard gets very unhappy. Ive found gskill to be garbage for any ryzen system ive built if thtas the brand you have been using.

@KraZy_SkitZy
What exact part number are you using for Kingston 3600 8x8GB?

@KraZy_SkitZy

Below is bios/uefi update on microcode only; which you can use the regular method to update; (ie. within the BIOS/UEFI no special methods required):

UBU detect:

Asus ROG Zentith Extreme Detect_22_03_2021.png

ZE stock microcode:

Asus ROG Zentith Extreme stock microcode_22_03_2021.png

ZE updated microcode:

Asus ROG Zentith Extreme update microcode_22_03_2021.png

Everything else is stock so you should be able to test out your memory further, depending on the cpu youā€™ve installed.

NOTE:

00800F82 - Ryzen 2xxx, Threadripper 2xxx
00800F12 - Epyc 1xxx
00800F11 - Ryzen 1xxx, Threadripper 1xxx
00810F10 - Ryzen 2xxx APU , Athlon 2xx APU, Mobile 2xxx APU

Thus other than the Epyc 1XXX microcode update there is nothing too much new over the BIOS/UEFI in the first post above.
Of course the interesting microcodes, for this particular motherboard are the ones bolded above.
Latest UBU has newer network and raid EFI drivers, so I like to iterate the changes and test them before I upload a more comprehensive mod
to the first post.

Cheers

Hans

ZE.rar (5.03 MB)

Asus zenith extreme + 2950x is running 8x8gb kingston HX436C17FB3AK2/16 @ 3200 cas 16
Asus strix x399 + 1950x is running 8x8gb Geil GAEXSY416GB3600C18ADC @ 3200 cas 16
Both ram work flawlessly populating all slots @3200, one notch higher is a no go. Well i Can get 3266 on the kingston but memtest causes pc to reboot half way.

@KraZy_SkitZy

I may have to manually tune/enter the cas timings on my G.Skill memory; so far Iā€™ve just run the 64GB on cas 15 @ 2933/3000Mhz.

By upping the latency to cas 16 - 18 it may yet squeak out 3200/3600Mhz; which of course is cheaper than forking out more $ for the platform.

It is however a trial and error PIA

A friend of mine who has the ASRock x399 Taichi with new bios with the what sounds to be the same ram as you based on the timings you mentioned, had no issues setting it at 3200 cas 15, he used to have the zenith but could never get above 2933, switched to asrock an everything just worked. Said asus is dead to him now after spending as much as he did on a zenith gh and Received such poor support. I enjoy tinkering more than him so I donā€™t really feel his pain. But this feels like Iā€™m reliving my asus 990fx crosshair formula z days of relying on the bios modding community to keep my hardware updated. Always enjoy trying to squeeze every drop of performance out of obscure hardware.

@KraZy_SkitZy

yes the first round of zenith extreme was the ā€œexperimental babyā€ā€¦the more mature platform became the zenith extreme alpha.
They concocted the alpha version because they sold us the beta version first!
then came the zenith extreme ii and the zenith extreme ii alpha on the trx40 platform. Asus could take a little more time and bake the silicon
a little longer than playing the ā€œone hit wonderā€ game and work out some of the significant kinks beforehand.

Iā€™m on the third board after two RMAs, and was annoyed enough to tell them give me the zenith extreme alpha on warranty and even offered the price differential.
First board was plainly DOA. Second board they tried switching my board to one that they had never issued the serial number to me, which goes to simple bait and switch fraud, because each motherboard has a unique serial number!!!

Needless to say, that proposal died on the order paper and $Count de Monet$ was just a dude well ahead of his timeā€¦

As it is, the infinity fabric should clock 1600Mhz for the 3200Mhz RAM and later models should clock 1800Mhz for 3600Mhz RAM.

The newer 500 series boards clock the infinity fabric to 2000Mhz for 4000Mhz RAM.

By high end cooling of the SOC and VRMs the 1600Mhz infinity fabric and 3200Mhz RAM should be within reach for the whole 64GB, even though it is technically beyond the spec sheet for the 2950X cpu.

I have two of these kits running together: G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR which arguably have really tight timings; CL14-14-14-34.

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/166/1ā€¦35V32GB-(4x8GB)

Maybe Asus will have it all tricked out by the time Zen 5 arrives and they shrink the transistor size down to 3nm!

What blows me away, is my wife has an Asus prime x470 board + 2700x an asus pumps out bios updates for that board on a regular. the x399 was far from dead upon the x470 release. SO I cant wrap my ahead around the dead support for a enthusiast/professional grade board+chipset. To me it doesnt make me want to buy an Asus board if I was to step up to the TRX40. Seems like Asus has gotten complacent and lazy. I cant see any approach where updating the microcode an opening up Resizeable bar for x399 would be a challenging or costly task for them. If asrock and msi can do it, so can Asus. Iā€™m glad when I build my 3rd gen ryzen systems I gave my money to Gigabyte and MSI.

Have you heard any further from Asus on resizeable bar? I emailed them as well but got no response

@KraZy_SkitZy

Actually emailed them just yesterday, as all the kinks are being ironed out of Resizable BAR/Smart Access Memory (SAM) over the last weeks.

2-3 days ago Asus admin committed themselves to Re-BAR/SAM:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.phā€¦ge34#post831178

https://www.mbreview.com/news/motherboarā€¦asus-z370-z390/

Per a post over at the ASUS ROG Forums, ASUS is finally going to bring resizable BAR support to their Z370/Z390 product lines with an estimated timeframe of late April to early May. ASUS has been quite slow with the roll out relative to the competition leaving customers behind. Itā€™s good to see some action from ASUS on this matter, so if youā€™re looking forward to this feature it may finally arrive in (relatively ) short order.

I asked for an update on my ASUS Service No=N2103010879 request.

If they are doing it for 300 level series boards one would hope that should include the X399 boards as wellā€¦at least that was my argument.

I checked the TRX40 boards for RE-BAR/SAM support for the newer ROG Zenith Extreme II vanilla/alpha motherboards and the BIOS/UEFIs are already published for download.

Cheers

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/muā€¦boards_support/

Msi released their bios support for Resizeable bar. Hopefully asus can follow suit

@KraZy_SkitZy

Okay emailed them again, after getting into another online chat, with the updated info from competitors re:MSI

and asked for an estimated timelineā€¦

Cheers

@hancor

I know this is a different topic but im looking for help to get headless boot on my 2950x with a MSI x399 carbon. Would you be able to tell me how difficult this would be? and where to start?

Thanks in advance

Have you noticed any difference with your updated microcode bios vs the stock one at all?

@KraZy_SkitZy

Actually havenā€™t noticed anything latelyā€¦

My father passed this last month. clocking out at the age of 92, a retired hydro-electric engineer.
Thus Iā€™ve been a little busy taking care of some family stuff.
Once that settles, I try getting back in the saddle.

Cheers for now.