[OFFER] MAXIMUS VI GENE BIOS 1603 modded for NVMe boot drive and EFI updates

image image

Using the UBU v1.69.15.2+Update2 tool (official version, uploaded at 03/07/2018 - with UEFITool v22.4 I also upgraded the following:

EFI IRST RAID for SATA 12.7.0.1936 ----> 14.8.2.2398
EFI GOP Driver Haswell 5.0.1036 ----> 5.5.1034
EFI Intel Pro/1000 UNDI 5.4.19 ----> 6.6.04
EFI Realtek UNDI 2.020 ----> 2.043
CPU microcode 19 ----> 22 (most recent BEFORE Spectre/Meltdown microcode updates)

NVMe functionality via ------> NvmExpressDxe_3.ffs inserted after CSMCORE for this Aptio IV UEFI/BIOS via:

[Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Should result in very stable and reliable NVMe boot drive and system for “ancient” Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE mobo; BIOS version 1603 mobo sporting an Aptio 4 BIOS/UEFI; which should now run like a top on the latest Windows 10.

Use BIOS FLASHBACK method, check your manual at page 2-17.

Remember to create, via Rufus, a DOS FAT32 bootable USB and flash the unzipped file.
(see Fernando’s instructions)

Cheers and enjoy

M6G.zip (5.19 MB)

success many thanks
a note to anybody else if after update you get stuck in a automatic repair loop or secure boot problem

make sure you backup and then delete the PK key under the manage secure boot keys section of the bios (make sure to only delete the PK key not everything!!!) C

it took me a few min to realise what had happened when the system would’t boot to windows after the update
when you flash via flashback the PK key gets changed

Is there one for the Max vi formula ?
Thnx slot

@Fgars2 try the link here:

[OFFER] MAXIMUS VI FORMULA BIOS 1603 modded for NVMe boot drive and EFI updates

Hi @hancor and Co, one quick question, does this modded updated BIOS is also valid for a MAXIMUS V FORMULA with BIOS 1603? I just happen to have this motherboard and I would like to upgrade to an NMVE ssd.

Short answer: NO, try the link below…! I assume you meant bios version 1903.

@dustbrother Find your newly modded bios here:

[OFFER] ASUS MAXIMUS V FORMULA BIOS 1903 modded for NVMe boot drive and EFI updates

First of all, many thanks for providing this modified BIOS for my mobo! I’m now able to boot W10 in UEFI-mode using an Asus Hyper M.2 16x containing a Samsung 970 PRO SSD.

I read the [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS and [Guide] - How to Bifurcate a PCI-E slot and was wondering if bifurcation is possible on this “ancient” z87 chipset. My goal is to add a second SSD to the Asus Hyper x16, which now only recognizes one SSD as expected.

I already checked the modified VI Gene BIOS in this topic using AMIBCP and it does not contain the “IntelRCSetup” section, mentioned in above Guide.

I’m using an i7-4790K which according tot Intel-specs supports PCI Express Configurations “Up to 1x16, 2x8, 1x8+2x4”: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/…o-4-40-ghz.html
"1x8+2x4" is also mentioned in the documentation for the z87 chipset: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/…87-chipset.html

1x8+2x4 is what I need to make the 2nd SSD visible. The Asus Hyper is inserted in the second PCI-e 3.0 16x at 4x, the first PCI-e 3.0 has the RX480 at 8x.

Has anyone tried this on this specific mobo and/or chipset?

@hancor :

DO YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE THE INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE THE BOOTABLE USB!!!

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing to the author (to save space)

So i purchased a Vantec M.2 NVME PCIE x4 adapter, i have it plugged in to the 3.0 x16 slot and BIOS Settings: Secure Boot "DISABLED" , Fast Boot "DISABLED" , CSM (Compatibility Support Module" "Disabled", Intel SATA Controller set to ACHI but i get a VGA not supported on this board error.

@zeroTolerance :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
>Here< (within the chapter 4) you can find the instructions about how get Win10 properly installed onto an NVMe SSD.

The reason is a missing EFI BIOS module (named GopDriver) for your in-use graphics adapter.
Possible solutions:
a) You flash a BIOS, which contains a matching "GopDriver" for your graphics card/adapter.
b) You enter the BIOS, set CSM to "Enabled", but make sure, that booting off the NVMe SSD in UEFI mode will be supported by the BIOS.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

How do i make sure the NVME SSD in UEFI MODE is supported by the bios that hancor made !!!

@Fernando :
Also after flashing do i need to disable Secure boot by just unloading the PK file or should i do all files?

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

@zeroTolerance :
1. The BIOS settings must allow loading of the EFI modules for the Storage Controllers. Since the mainboard BIOSes are completely different, I cannot tell you where the related settings are and how they are named.
2. You should only disable the "Secure Boot" option, but not touch the "Keys".

ok i got it to work but my cpu jumps up to 100C range ??? prior it was like 30C no OC water cooled

NVM FIXED IT !!! Water Cooler pump got unplugged ROFL!!! didnt see it!

Time for an update: @onemoar @Fgars2 @f0nz0 @zeroTolerance @

Module detect shows NVMe mod:

NVMe functionality via ------> NvmExpressDxe_4.ffs inserted after CSMCORE for this Aptio IV UEFI/BIOS via
[Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

EFI ROM modules updated:

Microcode update to v28 mitigates MDS, Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities, with least performance impact.

Using the UBU v1.77 - with UEFITool v28 I also upgraded the following:

EFI IRST RAID for SATA 12.7.0.1936 ----> 14.8.2.2398
EFI GOP Driver Haswell 5.0.1036 ----> 5.5.1034
EFI Intel Pro/1000 UNDI 5.4.19 ----> 0.1.00
EFI Realtek UNDI 2.020 ----> 2.056
CPU microcode 19 ----> 28 (most recent for MDS, Spectre, & Meltdown mitigation)

Should result in very stable and reliable NVMe boot drive and system for "ancient" Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE mobo; BIOS version 1603 mobo sporting an Aptio 4 BIOS/UEFI; which should now run like a top on the latest Windows 10.

Use BIOS FLASHBACK method, check your manual at page 2-17.

Remember to create, via Rufus, a DOS FAT32 bootable USB and flash the unzipped file.
(see Fernando’s instructions)

LATEST EDIT: Dec 20, 2023

M6G.rar (4.8 MB)

1 Like

Greetings

Thanks for the updated BIOS, I flashed it to my motherboard but unfortunately there’s no POST. The hard drive activity LED keeps blinking rapidly and there’s simply no POST screen.

I reverted back to the previous modded BIOS and everything is back to normal again.

I appreciate the time and effort you’ve put into this.

Thanks

Same problem for me

Ok I think I know what the problem may be…stay tuned.

Cheers

@onemoar @Fgars2 @f0nz0 @zeroTolerance @ImLasse @FASE

Okay, re-modded the Maxiumus Gene VI BIOS/UEFI v1603 using the manual MMTool v4.50.0.23 method as shown in the screenshot in post #16. LATEST EDIT: July 22, 2020

Hopefully that should meet with better success.

Cheers