onboard LAN MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00 after BIOS update

Ohh, I didn’t think they had correct hardware either, I thought it was this same board. You can use jumper off another board if yours breaks

Well I don’t think he’s particularly clear on that thread. Might be worth a shot, since we’re clutching at straws. I am wondering because its got IPMI to flash motherboards whether that element is seperate anyway and if i were to brick it, it would be still recoverable via the IPMI BIOS Update.

Anyways back on point:
Recover option - no go for me. I get ROM Image is not loaded, ROM Image Update Denied.

@Mekw thanks for being brave and trying the BIOS RCVR jumper. I guess it’s only putting the mobo into the “ready to accept flashing” state…

I had high hopes for it as the ME RCVR jumper apparently does the magic of restoring the factory ME if to trust the scarce documentation.

Ok so interesting slapped the DS4 firmware on (yeah I’m gun ho) and got two MAC Addresses against LAN1 and LAN2. Now to see whether these are the ones I want.

@dimadima
Short answer: Flashed with DS4 Firmware, and I’ve now got networking in Windows 10 after installing the Intel drivers. Which is really really weird…

Why you ask? Because its still stating these are 10GBASE-T X552/X557 NICs.

So the reason why this screwed up in the first place, is because the DS1 firmware removes these NICS supposedly leaving you with the i210’s.

I am soooo confused that my head hurts.

Going to back and try ESX server now, maybe instead of asking why its reporting the wrong NIC, i should be concentrating on why its saying media disconnected in ESX.

@Mekw
OMG - you got it working?! I had to re-read it a few times and pinch myself I was not dreaming.

Are you saying this Datto board has 2x 10 Gig LAN instead? After all they are in that place on the motherboard where the 10G SFP is (on the more expensive board version).

I might start looking at used 10G switches then!! Lol

I cannot get my head around it, the DS4 has:
2 x 10GbE SFP+ LAN ports (Intel® X552)
2 x GbE LAN ports (Intel® I210)

And the Datto board would have 2x 10G X552 with the only difference being BASE-T / RJ45 and not SFP ?!

Correct. Remember its an OEM board, does not have to match the specs. Basically we were told its a MB10-DS … and its not.

So yeah I’m working at present (well in Win 10). Not done anything major with it, other than slap a ping and make sure its responding.

Also found an auction site with the unit our motherboard is from, it states its an X552/7 and no mention of the 1gb nics. Oh and the backplate picture matches ours exactly.
So basically we were barking up the wrong tree.

Send me a dump from the crossflashed DS4 board/BIOS combo that has working LAN, and include BIOS images of the LAN Info too, thanks. This should help me find the location of the MAC ID’s, so I can fix the normal BIOS for you guys.

If I understand correctly @Mekw flashed the correct version of the BIOS already as that one has support for the 10G lan adapters which the BIOS we originally flashed does not, and it “just works” now!

I would speculate this is a custom board for Datto - a MB10-DS4 without the 1G Intel I210 and with 10G Intel X552 with RJ45 instead of SFP+.

Such combination does not exist officially as per Gigabyte: https://b2b.gigabyte.com/Comparison/Resu…,5761,5907,5908

We got it sold as MB10-DS1 and I am guessing the BIOS for that does not have support for the Intel X552? This way LAN do not work on DS1 BIOS however they work on DS4 BIOS as @Mekw confirmed in previous post.

So you think, you can flash DS4 BIOS too then, and no need to modify BIOS for either one of you guys from my end correct?

Exactly @Lost_N_BIOS , many thanks for the assitance it was that thread you point out that lead me to try the DS4 BIOS. So you sir are a star.

Exactly, without that thread we could have still been scratching our heads.

Thank you!

You’re welcome! I almost didn’t look around again, after spending an hour maybe trying to find a dump for DS0, DS1, DS4 with no luck at all.
Great, thanks for confirmation, sounds like that DS4 BIOS flash should fix up dimadima’s board too then!

If you guys find any setting missing in BIOS, or see some in AMIBCP you want enabled that are currently hidden, I can do that for you!

Also, for the next poor guys that anything like this happens to, and maybe they don’t want to crossflash, or they messed it up some other way, can one of you send me dump where the LAN is working with BIOS image so I can see LAN ID’s being used.
That way I can find the location of these in this kind of BIOS, in case I need to help someone in the future with this model, or other Gigabyte servers boards with GbE too. I’d really appreciate it, and so might someone else I have to help in the future, thanks!

@Mekw did you get your real LAN MAC after flashing DS4 BIOS?

I did not…

ds4.jpg

Is there a best approach to flash? I used FB.bat with option [2] this time.

please use fb.bat [1/2/3/4] [k]
!! Notice, if your BIOS is formal version (F/R/P).
!! System will auto restore DMI data.
[1] = use FPT flash BIOS, Afudos flash ME. Please don't set ME Flash jumper.
[2] = use FPT flash BIOS and ME. Must set ME Flash jumper.
[3] = use AfuDos flash BIOS.
[4] = use AfuDos flash BIOS + ME region.
[k] = force to Keep previous DMI data.

should i try flash BIOS some other way? @Lost_N_BIOS

Yes I did, I just ran f.bat, flat no switches.

Maybe the way you did it last time flattened the DMI data and thats why you’ve got the weird data. On the plus side something easier to find in the bios and replace than the 00:00’s…

ds4.jpg

interestingly, the PXE set-up shows correct MAC of my LAN1.

pxe.jpg

bmc.jpg

updated BIOS+ME from BMC… same result

updated by running F.BAT (as you did), which executes: afudos image.bin /P /B /N /X /K /L …same resut

i have not updated the BMC itself - do not think this would do anything to onboard LAN? or should i, just in case?

i am out of ideas what else to try for now. attached this DS4_F06 BIOS dump (FPT -d …)

@Mekw maybe you could also attach your DS4_F11 BIOS dump just in case?

the issue seems to be display/visual only!

both LAN work, and router sees their real MACs.

router_dhcp.png

@Mekw - i am curios, do you see correct MACs both in BIOS and on the BMC web admin page?