onboard LAN MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00 after BIOS update

Yes I do see correct MACs, but I also get 4 nics. Two of which don’t have the MAC Addresses, in your screenshots above in the IPMI you seem to only have 2.

But at least you are running :slight_smile:

confirming the now obvious

ix0@pci0:3:0:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x00001458 chip=0x15ad8086 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
device = 'Ethernet Connection X552/X557-AT 10GBASE-T'
class = network
subclass = ethernet

ix1@pci0:3:0:1: class=0x020000 card=0x00001458 chip=0x15ad8086 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
device = 'Ethernet Connection X552/X557-AT 10GBASE-T'
class = network
subclass = ethernet

even the host OS (FreeBSD) sees correct LAN MAC, so strange why BIOS/IPMI do not show...

ix0: <Intel(R) PRO/10GbE PCI-Express Network Driver, Version - 3.2.12-k> mem 0xfbc00000-0xfbdfffff,0xfbe04000-0xfbe07fff irq 34 at device 0.0 numa-domain 0 on pci4
ix0: Using MSI-X interrupts with 9 vectors
ix0: Ethernet address: 1c:1b:0d:96:11:c7

ix1: <Intel(R) PRO/10GbE PCI-Express Network Driver, Version - 3.2.12-k> mem 0xfba00000-0xfbbfffff,0xfbe00000-0xfbe03fff irq 37 at device 0.1 numa-domain 0 on pci4
ix1: Using MSI-X interrupts with 9 vectors
ix1: Ethernet address: 1c:1b:0d:96:11:c8

I do not have a 10G switch or card, but both LAN get the full 1Gig so seems to be working fine (ran netperf)

@Mekw - do you see correct LAN ID’s in your BIOS screen? If yes, please send me a FPT -d dump, then I can fix for dimadima. I think maybe his DMI was cleared initially via the web interface flash to DS1 BIOS, then any subsequent flash with the /K switch only keeps the zero’d out LAN info

@dimadima are you wanting to provide the bin mate? Or you happy running?

Also - told thread tangent. Do you have a spare stick of non-ecc ddr4 you could test on the board? I am wondering whether we need to use ECC now we know it’s not the motherboard we bought.

@Mekw - if it’s not too much of a bother pls post a dump of the BIOS. I cannot be sure something else may not be broken so would be good to have it.

I am not sure I am following - this board only takes ECC Registered

Ha Dimadima, what makes you think it only takes ECC?
i.e. the specs on the DS1 say only ECC but the DS4 for example can take either.
Hence I’m a bit curious but no spare sticks.

— Yes I can do but it will be later on, currently got the device in production.

Ah yes, not sure why I had this assumption, I must have confused with the Avoton board which I remember was a bit more restrictive in memory choices.

As per the spec:
Supports 1.2V DDR4 memory
Single & dual rank modules supported
ECC & non-ECC modules supported
RDIMM supported up to 32GB per module
UDIMM supported up to 16GB per module
1600/1866/2133 MHz

I can hardly imagine Datto would have removed the non-ECC support then. Sounds a much bigger change than slapping a 10G nic with an RJ45 PHY in place of SPF+ but who knows now it’s Datto…

I do not have any non-ECC DDR4 to test it…

Wow, already in production? Not going with crunching primes and memtesting for at least a week?:wink:

Sorry for the delay guys but here is my working version finally.
@Lost_N_BIOS , here are my MAC Addresses:

E0D55E60F759
E0D55E60F75A

F11-WORK.zip (4.05 MB)

Thanks @Mekw LAN MAC ID’s both stored in NVRAM - GUID >> 9669E125-FEDF-43F7-891A-5AF85EFCDEFC (GBTData module, third one, first two do not contain this data in your F11 BIOS)

LAN-MAC-ID.png

In @dimadima first dump sent (MY_F06.bin), there is only two of these but the second one looks like the one that should contain MAC ID’s in this BIOS, but it’s the zero’s.
So, initial issue could have been that and we could have fixed by adding MAC ID there, or maybe that never work and it would always be wrong due to how it was being used by the board since it was incorrect model, was ignoring the ID’s, probably looking for LAN MAC ID in GbE where it’s often stored instead.
Only way to know for sure is for him to reflash that MY_F06.bin BIOS with me editing in MAC ID to that module for a test.

But, anyway, thank you for your dump, this helps me to know to check these NVRAM modules next time around for similar issues with GBT server boards and this can likely only be fixed via dump from user not stock BIOS edited.
Stock BIOS do not contain these modules in NVRAM, so via dump only. I expected this, stock BIOS usually contains 888888888788 or all zero’s in place of LAN MAC ID location, and this is either ignored/replaced with the one onboard or mistakenly flashed in if flashed certain ways.
I can’t find the 88 one in stock BIOS, so I assume it’s all zeros in these BIOS and no way to find that location due to 80K+ results of 12 zeros in a row

Hey everyone. I found this thread searching for a similar issue I have, which I’ve been trying to fix for a while now.

I have a Datto MD70-DATTO board. The specs, layout of the board and components are identical to the Gigabyte MD70-HB0 board, except that the PCB on the Datto is black. There are also MD70-HB1 and MD70-HB2 board, but those have 1GB NICs and are missing the embedded SAS controller.

When I bought the board it came with the latest Gigabyte BIOS (R13) and BMC (8.88) installed and working fine.

Due to some issues I had to re-flash the BIOS and BMC a couple of times, with the same version as installed. After flashing one of them I found that the MAC addresses of the 2 10GB embedded NICs have been zeroed out, and the MAC addresses of the BMC NIC is showing as 29:29:29:29:29:29
Needless to say, both the NICs and the network capability of the Aspeed AST2400 BMC are not working anymore. The board is still working and the BMC can still be accessed locally through ipmitool

What I have tried so far:
1. Flashed multiple versions of the BIOS, including the original DATTO BIOS, and one from the HB1 board (different version as someone tried here to fix theirs). This was done from Windows and DOS, successfully.
2. Flashed multiple version of the BMC firmware, including original from DATTO. This wad done from Windows, DOS and from u-boot using JTAG and TFTP. (so the BMC NIC is working under u-boot)

None of the above have made any changes to my issue. The rest of the board works fine with any of the BIOS and BMC versions flashed.

I do have the original MAC addresses of the 10GB NICs, both in screenshots and labels on the board. And when looking at the BMC startup through JTAG I can see the original MAC addresses of the BMC NICs as well (1 physical and 1 virtual), so they are still stored somewhere.

I have a post on the STH forum where someone suggested that I flash the BMC using a programmer. While I do have a programmer, I do not have a SOP16 test clip. I ordered one from China but it could take up to 3 months to arrive.

Would anyone have a suggestion on what else I should try? I can get logs, dumps and JTAG output from the BMC if needed.

Thank you

@proone
You can try the program on #15 in this post
[HELP] Gigabyte MD71-HB0 : Onboard LAN MAC Adresses wiped (00:00:00:00:00:00)…How to solve?