[Problem] AsRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ with "Sky OC" BIOS option

I made it work with B150 AsRock Fatal1ty K4, with bios 1.60, don’t know why works normally there. SKY OC and everything.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20B150%20Gaming%20K4/index.pt.asp#BIOS

This BIOS does not support KBL, so it should not work, but work. I “just” need to do the same to the Z170. :thinking:

How do you normally use the Sky OC function? Does it have a switch?

No, you just increase the BCLK like in the old days, that it.

More detailed speaking, the chipset “thinks” that it’s running at stock, but the motherboard has a chip that does the BCLK without needing the clock gen from the chipset.

The temperature says it 100C and base frequency. ex. 2.9GHz, but its running at 130, 140, 150 MHz of BCLK, without interrupt with the multiplier. You need to adjust voltages also, like you would normally do and set manually the RAM clock because BCLK overclock everything together, basically just like we did back in the day on first gen and before.

And to be even more detailed, I’m uploading here some photos and my BIOS.

Here its the chip on boardview from the B150 ASRock

Below real photo from the chip on the B150:

On the Z170, the chip is on the bottom of the board, so I would need to remove the board from its place to take a photo, but here its on the boardview for the Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K6+

It also on this boardview says its name: CLOCK GEN. 6V41542NLG8 IDT/VFQFPN-32/SKYLAKE

And here is the motherboard that I’m trying to make this work:

BIOS: I can’t upload because I’m a new user apparently, so I uploaded it to my drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_V-P5BRhQATmo5y5bbn4cOy9fUiD3taC/view?usp=sharing

When comparing BIOS version 2.00 to 2.10, changes were found in 17 modules. Major changes were found only in SbRun, SbRunSmm and HardwareSignatureEntry modules. The rest are CPU microcode update and build date updates in various drivers. And also some changes in setup.

Not expert in BIOS mod haha But it’s possible to “port” this older modules to a newer BIOS? Or maybe “fix” the old BIOS by comparing it to the 7.0 or later? It’s MMtool that you use?

MMTool or UEFITool. Doesn’t matter.

I think we need to make sure that one of these 17 modules is actually responsible for the Sky OC feature. I’d suggest to try replacing those in 2.10, thereby bringing Sky OC back. But it will require a different processor. The same can be done for version 7.00 but I’m not sure if the mobo will start at all.
What’s your choose?

I removed the CLF Xeon and installed a Celeron, flashed the 2.00 version, working fine the OC. Look at the photos. ( ̶s̶o̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶e̶a̶c̶h̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶l̶o̶a̶d̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶.̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶v̶i̶o̶l̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶r̶u̶l̶e̶ ̶x̶.̶x̶)

Seems like I reached the number max of post per day for a new user, so there is just the Celeron runnuing overclock by BCLK at stock BIOS 2.00:

@Sweet_Kitten ̶I̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶P̶M̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶t̶o̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶B̶I̶O̶S̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶.̶ I can’t PM you :melting_face:

@Sweet_Kitten
Just tested. Didn’t worked. 00 > 04 > 0d
Don’t beep without memory also, strange

Update:

I have this BIOS that the chinese vendor gave to me, it says 7.20, but is very strang. It posts, can OC the Celeron Skylake by BCLK and boots the 2286M, a Coffee Lake CPU, but if you look the microcodes, does not even have Coffee Lake, a least on the Coffee Time 0.99. It boots to Windows, makes a few boot cycles before POST, but if I change BCLK gets stuck on 32 code.

Z170 Gaming_K6.bin

Z17GM6P2.00_17.bin
I moved modules from BIOS 2.10 to 2.00. Please let me know if after flashing it the Sky OC is not working.

1 Like

Good finding. I will examine the changes they did when I have time.

1 Like

It also do not detect integrated GPU from the Coffee Lake, but does from the Skylake (to me is not that bad, I really use this PC to test graphics cards only)

They are very different, like it’s a complete new update release. There are too many changes between BIOS 7.20 and this one.
Try Z17GM6P2.00_3.bin. Only 3 modules were replaced this time.

@coquinho @Sweet_Kitten Hi, just wanted to let you know that BIOS L1.93 was the (now removed) BIOS with the Sky OC function.

I have uploaded it on this thread [OFFER] Skylake Non-k OC BIOS Archive with this mega link to the uploads if it helps.

It is the first release where the Sky OC was implimented?

@Sweet_Kitten Apparently not, this post suggests there is a L1.92 but I don’t have it.

But so far as I know, SKY OC came in the first release already, and was removed in 2.10 because Intel said so. ASRock has a history with overclock non-k CPUs, they made it with some 4th gen, even 12th I think. But always is pressured to remove the feature by Intel.