[Problem] Bricked ASUS ROG GL502VMK BIOS

OK, good work!

The verify option for reading isn’t really helpful, how would it know if the dumps really are chip content?

Anyway, you dumped the bios file twice and the files are a 100% identical, probability for an error happening two times the same place is (close to) zero!

Seems the PC crashed while writing to NVRAM, there should be free space between last entry and GUID store but there’s an incomplete entry in the middle of nowhere.

So I simply used your old dump of the modded bios region and replaced the bios region in your dump. There’s another image in the zip where I emptied NVRAM, that should work, too. As written before, machine specific data are in padding between NVRAM and first UEFI volume.

GD25Q46B_r.zip (5.3 MB)

Good luck!

(Btw the other two chips are as expected Nvidia firmware and Thunderbird)

Thanks <3 I am going to try to flash modded one first. Should i erase the chip first than write it or directly click write for it? Also i am gonna get 3rd backup dump from the chip too, before writing it.

Also should we do something for these chips too? Before i try to start the laptop, should i plug CMOS battery?

It’s always “erase (blank check) write verify”

I recommend always to read the chip after programming in a separate read process, save with another name, and compare this file to the original file. Both have to be a 100% identical.

I successfully boot my PC! There is no problem right now. Huge thanks! Anything else should i do?

Thanks for the feedback! Nothing more to do except for being careful with changes in settings!

It might be meaningful to backup the bios region in a state when you have made all changes and are in a stable state. You can use the toolkit you used earlier.

Thank you so much. I already made a backup :smiley: I learnt a lot of things. Actually i was flashed modded bios at the begining because of GPU TDP. My GPU has 75W TDP. I get into Bios again and there is no option to change it. I am not sure but my last question is Could i change the Nvidia GPU TDP from the modded bios? I want it at least 100W. I have a liquid metal thermal paste, my temps are 73C max rn. If we can’t change the TDP by bios how? Modifying the vBios and flashing it?

@lfb6 Sorry, i still think about GPU TDP stuff any hope?

Sorry, not my area of knowledge!

Oh :smiley: Okay. BTW Laptop works without any problem. That’s nice to have people like you in this forum.

1 Like

Hello! I have screwed up my bios in the exact same way I think. Can you guys help me? @lfb6 please?

But i have a slightly different motherboard. I have a GL502VM with i7-6700HQ and a GTX1060 6GB I have already read the bios chip according to the discussions above.

Here is a drive link with the bios files: asus bios – Google Drive

What did you do exactly?

It happened last year but i just now got around to having time with figuring it out. So i flashed a modded bios with the same tool to enable the igpu and than looked around in the bios, changed some things and when i saved it, the laptop didn’t restart just cut the power to itself and after that didn’t post a single time, black screen and fans going, tried resetting the bios but that did nothing. I uploaded the rom dump that the modding tool created and the modded rom also, and the bios file which i read with a ch341

OK, so bios region mod.rom was working before changing settings.

Take the bricked bios dump, open it in UEFITool 0.28, expand, right click bios region “Replace as is”, choose your mod.rom, save as “new.rom”.

Compare structure and parser messages for “Bricked bios.bin” and “new.rom” with UEFIToolNE alpha 68.

Flash the file back with the CH341, read the chip again in a separate process, compare new chip content wit “new.rom”, if they’re 100% identical you should be good again.

The program i found when I searched for this is UEFIExtract NE A68 but I’m not really sure what I have to look for with this utility. I dragged both bios files on the program in file explorer and it made reports and stuff but I really don’t know what i’m doing

If I had meant UEFIExtract I would have written UEFIExtract

On the github page I found can’t find uefi tool ne a68 only a67 is that alright?

This is what it shows. What do I have to look for? Is this alright?

UEFItool_NE for extraction of the bios volumes and UEFItool regular version 0.28/0.25 for replacing.
Releases · LongSoft/UEFITool (github.com)

Sorry to hear that, i hope you’r going to fix this issue soon as possible. After that, I suggest you to lock your GPU at 0.700mV from MSI Afterburner. With this way it still consume more W than iGPU but… Your battery life will be longer.