[PROBLEM] Flashing a modded ASRock Z370 MB BIOS

Sorry for doublepost, but I have a question. In this thread it is linked to the general big tutorial: [GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

It is said, that I have to use -d backup.bin to save important datas.
I did only the step I quoted. The quoted post is linked here: [Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS (Update 3).

I wonder now, if something is missing in my BIOS. How can I check? With HWiNFO there are many On Board Device with Unknown Type in SMBIOS. But honestly I don’t know if it was the case before the flash. In BIOS itself I don’t see any difference.

If there is something missing… can I restore back flash back the stock BIOS? But for now everything seems to be normal.

My Motherboard supports Dual BIOS, but I have no idea, how I can run the other BIOS. My old Z170 Extreme4 had a physical switch and the BIOS chip was plugged. My current Motherboard has no Switch and both chips are soldered. Also no information how to access the Backup BIOS. The only hint I find is how to Backup BIOS A to B. Weird…

Does your onboard LAN (Ethernet) still work? How about Windows activation, check for windows updates, then reboot and check My Computer properties, does it still show activated?

I am not sure what command you did, but I assume you meant you flashed stock BIOS, and didn’t backup your BIOS to modify, then reflash.
If yes, then yes, you probably lost some or all of your system details such as serial and UUID, possibly windows key too (LAN usually outside of BIOS region in these boards so you wouldn’t loose that)

With no switch, the only way to dump the backup BIOS is to use a flash programmer (CH341A) and a SOIC8 test clip cable, it’s about $6 total shipped for both on ebay, but you have to wait 3-5 weeks for delivery.

LAN still works. Detected as Intel l219-v.
Windows ist also still activated (digital license, connected with Microsoft Account).

The stock BIOS P2.30 from here was installed: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z390%20E…/index.asp#BIOS
I took the BIOS Z39EX42.30 from the ASRock page and modified with Ubu (only update uCode with MMTOOL). The BIOS Instant Flash feature brings up the security failure, so I followed the Thread of Fernando and ended on your post and flashed the BIOS with the command:

FPTW64.exe -bios -f mod_Z39EX42.30.bin

with the Flash Programming Tool from the Intel CSME System Tools v12 r13 from from Intel ME Thread of plutomaniac.

Since there is no warning in this post, I thought, thats the whole secure way.

Thats pretty much detailed as I can :D
The tools did not report any errors. I rebooted the PC and my change (updated uCode) seems to work: 906EA AA
Checked in the BIOS itself and with HWiNFO.

What do you mean by "and didn't backup your BIOS to modify"?

The serialnumber shows up in HWiNFO and fits the printing on my motherboard.
The UUID seems to be unique at the beginning and only has 0 after the second line.

example (modified, not the original):
UUID: {A9B48520-AG44-0000-0000-000000000000}

Is that fine?

Sorry for the question, but still afraid :)

OT: Whats the sense of Dual BIOS when the developer did not include an official way to access?

Btw. amazing the way you post and help many users here. Thumps up!

@Morku - Did you test/use the LAN though? Showing up as active device or something like that wont let you know, you need to use it to see if the LAN MAC ID is still OK or not.

Which post did you end up at that has the FPT commands to do this, so I can add a warning there to not use stock BIOS for this action. What I meant was, you need to make a FPT backup first (FPTw.exe -bios -d -biosreg.bin) and modify that, then flash it back using the command you used (Not now, too late now/doesn’t matter).
Otherwise if you flash with stock BIOS you loose all board specific details that are stored in padding files, the main NVRAM will be blanked and overwritten with generic stock data, and usually an entire second NVRAM Volume within the BIOS region will be missing too.

Dual BIOS is not for the user to access for safety and security reasons, when there is no switch for the user to use, it’s designed intention is to recover the BIOS if possible when main BIOS fails.

Your UUID is invalid there with zero’s in it, but if windows activation is still working your OK, that’s all it’s really used for (If it’s used), sometimes some other software might tie itself to your UUID or SSID when installed with key, but not too many do that.
UUID often partially the LAN MAC ID, or serial # at the end + other random digits at beginning.

Thank you for taking notice of my efforts to help, I appreciate the support!

Hi,

I started at the general Ubu Thread: [Tool Guide+News] “UEFI BIOS Updater” (UBU)
There is the Attention at the bottom with: "Users of an ASUS or ASRock mainboard may get an “Integrity Error” message, when they try to flash any modded BIOS. >Here< is a guide about how to circumvent the built-in integrity check."
So you click on Here and you’ll find this thread: [Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS
Now you are at the AMI Thread. Again at mostly the bottom you see Update 3: "Solution: Affected users should use the “Flash Programming Tool (FPT)” instead and follow >this< guide written by our Forum member Lost_N_BIOS."
It is said for solution and links to that post and your posts speaks from a “mod BIOS” which I thought the modded BIOS is meanth I created with Ubu… from the stock BIOS.

My PC still connect to the internet fine. I am currently at the PC and write this post :slight_smile: and I can get the MAC of my LAN adapter.

Things I don’t use on my Board and can’t test is: OnBoard graphics, Realtek Audio, TPM, ASMedia S-ATA ports…

Are these unique BIOS information maybe also stored in the Backup BIOS and I can recover it? (if there was any…).
Maybe ASRock handle this differently at all and there are no “padding files”?

Maybe some other ASRock user wants to compare, if he still have “more” informations than my motherboard? I think to have Z370 or Z390 is enough, no matter which model.

OK, thanks for explaining. I’ve added warning in bold red font at top and bottom of that guide previously, several months ago, so warning is already there to make backup first then modify that in large red font. Should it be bigger, serious ?
None of your “I can’t test list” would be affected by any of this, only what I mentioned, windows activation and LAN (Ethernet), and possibly RMA if you have to RMA if they check BIOS instead of sticker.

All BIOS store this information in various ways inside the BIOS volume you flashed, Asrock has it for sure, just depends on what is where but it’s all within what you flashed over with empty except LAN.
You flashed in empty stock, so you lost it all (Specifically your NVRAM both volumes, and UUID, Serial), all will be gone for sure, except LAN MAC ID which is often outside of BIOS region in GbE region instead.

Yes, there may be copy of this in backup BIOS, unsure if it’s a complete BIOS there or blank detailed one like stock, you can dump it and see if you have BIOS switches, or a flash programmer.

Hm… do we talk about the same post? There is no red warning in this post. [PROBLEM] Flashing a modded ASRock Z370 MB BIOS
Thats the post linked in Fernandos post.

As I said before, with HWiNFO I still can find a Serial which fits the Serial printing on my Motherboard. You are very sure, that this information have to go lost when I flash a stock BIOS this way? What is the NVRAM for? Can I check if empty?

Well, I always had luck with my Board and never needed RMA
I also updated Intel ME manually, I also would need to restore that to previous version.

Maybe I can dump the Backup BIOS with software, but I need to clarify with ASRock…

Not sure, I thought you said you followed this >> So you click on Here and you’ll find this thread: [Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS
Now you are at the AMI Thread. Again at mostly the bottom you see Update 3: "Solution: Affected users should use the “Flash Programming Tool (FPT)” instead and follow >this< guide written by our Forum member Lost_N_BIOS."

And ended up on my guide here, as you mentioned - [GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash

The other thread you linked now, is this thread, and my reply there was to another user, and speaking generally, nothing that should be followed by anyone at a later time, and certainly not a guide like you said you went to.
I will edit it now though and put warning.

Dump your BIOS, I will check it >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin
Yes, details must be gone if you flashed via FPT -bios -f filename.bin with stock BIOS.
Stock BIOS does not contain board specific details because it’s generic file made for 10000’s of users (So areas that contain this data are FF or 00, always, and FPT writes that directly in, vs updating with Asrock tool it will skip this area leaving your proper data in place as-is

You showed me number before with stack of 0000000’s in it, whatever you see on your board may be general ID or partial UUID etc for this model, so may be contained in the stock BIOS already, I will compare with stock and your dump and let you know.
No, you can’t dump stock BIOS with software, unless you have flash programmer. Asrock wont help you with any of this.

ME change directly in BIOS is fine if done correctly, hopefully you followed the ME update guide from here and cleaned ME during settings transfer, or otherwise hopefully you used the ME FW Update tool and a UPD file (or some ME updater from Asrock)

Thats why I am posting here. It is linked to the post.
I made a screenshot to completly clarify now :smiley: The post of Fernando didn’t specify, that this ‘tutorial’ is only made for this user…
https://i.imgur.com/wWmKfQt.png

Thank you for having a look, I will send you a link to download as PM.

I followed plutomaniac guides and hopefully followed all steps and warnings with choosing right Management Engine, Power Management Controller and create full firmware with Flash Image Tool and flashed it with FWUpdate -f. Run without errors and version number display fine in BIOS.

@Morku - Yes, that’s my guide, that I’ve been referring to, that you initially said “I followed this”. In that guide, in big red bold font at the beginning and end there is huge warning to backup your BIOS first with FPT, then modify that for flashing.
I guess we need to edit both, to clarify further? The post I mentioned that may be only for that one user, was the post/thread you linked just recently in your reply, in post #47, where you seemed to say “No, I meant this, not your guide with the warnings”
That tutorial you are now, again referring to in your image, that I assumed you meant from your original reply, is for everyone, and specifically warns you in big read letters as I mentioned, at beginning and end of the guide, to make a backup first with FPT, then modify that, then reflash that.

Your ME should be fine, since you followed the guide, and used ME FW update tool too, so nothing to worry about there or you would have known immediately due to ME failure if something was wrong.

Guys, can you, please, upload the FPT again? The link doesn’t seem to work anymore.

@bobypf :
The link doesn’t work anymore, because there are newer versions of the “Flash Programming Tool” available.
You can get the currently latest FPT Tool, when you go >here<, scroll down to chapter C2 and download the “Intel (CS)ME System Tools” version, which matches your system. After having unzipped the package, you will see the folder “Flash Programming Tool” within it.

Z370M pro4 unsuccesful,Secure check fail.
Need another patches?

@lordkag - did you ever get any further on this yourself, or make other attempts? I think the above person is the first to reply to you about this since you posted it, which we thank them for trying finally!

@lordkag
Sorry,I’ve just tried P1 and P1+P2+P3 , I will continue to test later. just like p1+p2 p2+p3 .

Link dosent work.

@RMK_99 :

Which link doesn’t work?

https://mega.nz/#!GB9XSBqZ!2lnEz1iVjW6Do…wS6ojpyYI29FUo0
Ok i see its new link
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

I update my Z390 Extrem4 in to Z39EX44.30
fptw64.exe -bios -f Z39EX44.30Moded.bin
this will flash moded bios ?

Yes yes yess its works on my ASRock Z390 Extreme4 4.30.
Bios moded in UBU and download Intel CSME System Tools v12 for 300series.
fptw64.exe -bios -f modbios.bin

PS: F**k you AsRock and your Security pass.

I have ASrock Z370 Pro4 and problem with updating modded BIOS, as everybody else. Is there a definitive solution - guide for the problem?