[PROBLEM] How to open/modify/flash an Intel mainboard BIOS?

Yes, that is the one I mentioned too! You’ll have to remove your card to do the programming, and due to location you may need to remove the SB heatsink as well.
Usually those have plastic push-pins which you have to squeeze together from the backside, when doing that be very careful so you do not scratch the PCB.

I’m waiting programmer to try on some hardware before acting in my PC

I Will try to only retire VGA card without disconnect Watercooling,
I hope clip will fit with chipset heatsink because remove motherboard on this pc need about one hour… and it’s very very difficult.

Maybe you can unplug GFX Card power cable, remove from slot and set up/aside and still leave tubes attached, then program while it’s setting off to the side.

Yes, hopefully it will fit because aside from the time takes to remove from case, always risky to scratch into PCB when popping out those push-pins if you aren’t super careful and used to doing it.

@Kx2000 @Lost_N_BIOS :
Since this discussion has nothing to do with the UBU tool and may be very intersting for other users with an Intel mainboard, I have moved it into this new thread and tried to give it a meaningful title.
Hoping, that this is ok for you
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Kx2000
After having deleted the dispensable posts about our discussion where to move the discussions about your Intel and Gigabyte BIOS modding problems, I hope, that everything is clear now. I am sorry for the confusion. Thanks for your understanding.
Please post your CPU Microcode update questions regarding your Gigabyte mainboard BIOS into >this< thread.

@Lost_N_BIOS :
JFYI

Is my bios update with UBU correct ? Intel ITK says signature invalid but UBU show well all ucode upgraded… Can I secure apply this with programmer ? Or need i a way to fix signature before ?

Thanks.

I don’t know, can’t see your BIOS? Any intel modified BIOS cannot be used with Intel flash tools, or Intel BIOS creation tools etc, all ITK files will be invalidated. And no, you cannot program any BIOS like that from a download for Intel with your programmer, only BIOS you backed up from onboard BIOS chip with programmer you edit then program back to chip.

Signature is not required here, you are in charge with the programmer But, you can only use dump from programmer, you cannot use downloaded BIOS for Intel board like that. Please read what I wrote in post #2 carefully, before you write anything to BIOS you must have verified backup dump from programmer (memory/buffer and chip same = verified)

@Lost_N_BIOS @Fernando
I had got an intel motherboard '‘dz77ga-70k’,and I have flash the official and newest verision of bios(0066),but it seemed werid that when i put the INTEL SSDPE2KX040T7 (DC P4500 4TB ,nvme mode support),the bios can show it in the boot order.Thus i thinked it’s bios must have include nvme module.
So i tried another ssd “samsumg 970 evo” ,but it could not show anything in the boot order of bios!(I could see the ssd in windows system)
And now i use the “fptw” to extract the bios, and got the bios
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=53319109113233154376

but I could not find any “dxe” in the bios via uefitool ,and hardly could not any filename in the mmtool.
could you help me,thanks all!!!

btw,I took more question^^^^^^^^^^^
another question1
are all the hp moded bios can only flash with the programmer?
“afu” “ftp” are not useful in the HP board?

another question2
i ever saw the pic of asus p8z77-v added nvme module,it’s diffrent from the other moded bios,and it can show lots of information of nvme ssd. how to make it ??
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…858272896043576

another question3
rog bios themes are excellent! could i put the rog themes into the normal mother?
eg: how to put m5e bios theme into the p8z77-v??

First things first here @gloobox - you cannot flash mod Intel BIOS, you have to dump entire BIOS with programmer, then modify that, then program it back.
Please wait for edit here, checking that '‘dz77ga-70k’ BIOS now for you about NVME Modules
*Edit - no NVME Modules present in that BIOS, what you see at boot order may simply be due to the BIOS on the PCIE card allowing it to show up, I doubt you can boot windows from that device (unless it’s designed to be independent of BIOS), which I’ve not heard of but assume may be possible.
Test and see if you can install and boot from it.

HP BIOS unrelated to your Intel DZ77 BIOS. Some HP you can flash back with Intel tools, some you cannot modify at all, even with programmer, all depends on the BIOS and if it’s RSA signed internally or not. I would say, in general, for HP, no AFU is not useful, but FPT can be in some cases.

On your second link, P8Z770v NVME image, I do not understand at all what you’re asking there?

Changing BIOS theme is HUGE task, so no you cannot do that, even to change your current BIOS colors for your own BIOS is huge task (100’s of edits, 1000’s of hex edits etc)

@Lost_N_BIOS
1.I will show you the pic of the intel ''dz77ga-70k" motherboard installing the Intel DC P4500 4TB,and you can see it and “windows boot manager” in the boot order
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00810762905104014718

2.About HP bios.Would some jumpers in the boards influence flashing it?

3.About the P8Z77-v ,could you see the two pages of the right side?It showed the name of ssds. So i wonder how to make it.
I give you another pic that was painted the red frame
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…590035737345563

thanks~

@gloobox - but can you boot to it? If yes, it must be due to that cards onboard BIOS.

On the HP, some have jumper to allow ME flashing, but other than that maybe recovery jumper. Main issue there is RSA, if the BIOS is not encrypted/RSA Signed, then you can modify and flash back using a various methods depending on board/BIOS, or program in with programmer.

In the P8Z77, I’d have to see that exact same thing in English, and then a copy of that BIOS possibly

@Lost_N_BIOS
Yeah I could boot it well,and i assumed it could run well too with the Intel 760P which controller is SMI SM2262.
If yes,the board can only launch system with the SSD of Intel brand.
If no,the board can only launch system with the SSD of Intel Controller(DC P4500’s controller is intel)

On the p8z77-v bios,I am asking for the person who onws bios of the board,then share with you later~~~
many thanks!!!

@gloobox - that’s good it works, very nice! On the P8Z77, ask him, put BIOS to English and make new screenshot, then share BIOS. And then, once he give you BIOS, that would be all you need anyway

Oh,I found the bios of intel dp67ba I downloaded from the offical website which could be showed “dxe” in the bios via uefitool ,and filename in the mmtool. Thus,Whether it’s ok to dumped the bios with fptw and flashed the modded bios in this “dp67ba”?

btw,I doubt that Intel did some trick of the bios of some borad~~~

No, you cannot flash or FPT etc any modified BIOS on an Intel board, that can only be done with hardware programmer, and when you do that dump first, modify that, then program back otherwise you will loose your board details (Serial, LAN MAC etc)
All the BIOS you have mentioned for Intel boards, can be modified in UEFITool, for NVME insert etc. All have DXE regions, if they are UEFI BIOS

About dell boards
I found the bios of 7010 and 9020 could be flashed smoothly,and they all own “bios lock”,and we can modify it and flash it.
But 790/990/T3610 and other board of dell don’t own the “bios lock”,I couldn’t flash it with fpt.
Could I flash it with AFU and give it the “/gan” order???

@gloobox - hard to say without seeing all those BIOS, only AMI BIOS can be flashed via AFU and only certain AFU work with certain BIOS, and even less only certain AFU can use /GAN
May need other edit to bypass FPRR to use FPT, instead of BIOS lock, but that would need to be pre-flashed into the board already to be effective so only good for "next time around" FPT flash after removal.
You may need flash programmer.

I checked 990 - It is AMI Aptio 4 BIOS, at least can open in AMIBCP 4.55, so can be flashed via AFU of some sorts using some method… maybe

I found a weird thing today .
I used “fptw64” in the windows to flash the hp motherboard(HP 2B34,H81 chipest),"fptw64 -f hpm.rom -bios ",it succesed!!!And a backup the bios,it had own the nvme module!!
https://ibb.co/j5CZk2S

But when i restarted the computer to use the same order to flash it again it failed!!!
https://ibb.co/6FRSBmM

Do you konw Why?Thanks~~

@gloobox - Look at the "programming flash info" Details in image one, you only wrote 112KB total, not entire BIOS region. Looks like FPRR lock is in place.

But how to flash it well without a programmer???
If fprr lock was in place,it couldn’t be flashed with the “fptw64” anytime,but I successed once
I met it at the first time.

Btw,I closed the “bios lock” with the grub,and open ran the "prr"programme in the dos.But it seemed don’t work anyway.