[PROBLEM] How to open/modify/flash an Intel mainboard BIOS?

@gloobox - Pinmod the board, or order programmer, unless board has a ME/FD/FDO/Service etc jumper. The first time you only wrote some changes, not entire BIOS region, FPRR only locks out specific things by hex address.
I don’t know about PRR program, it may not apply to your board or BIOS either. MEInfoWin.exe -verbose will show you at the end what ranges are protected by FPRR if any
FPTw -dumplock will show you some too, but main FPRR info get from above command

Order programmer and SOIC8 cable now, they will be there in month or so, then you wont have to worry about stuff like this anymore, price of both together is only around $5 total

There are many same model HP machine in my office,I tried to flash the new one with the same way again but it failed~~~
there is pic about “-dumplock” in my machine
https://ibb.co/GTrP1g3

I will give you the prr programme
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=60298947265576458681

And other way to unlock something locker besides "bios lock"
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-R…rough-EFI-shell

Btw,the bios chip of some boards should be flashed well with programmer by taken out with a heat gun.

@gloobox - Yes, many locks and settings can be changed by Grub / Setup_var, sometimes.
Thanks for dumplock image, you have locked FD for write to FD or ME, but BIOS read/write is Yes/OK, so lock is in FPRR (likely, since BIOS lock gives obvious error)or "BIOS/SMI Lock" which you can unlock via the setup/IFR and guide you linked (Or my guide here)

What do you see at end of this >> MEInfoWin.exe -verbose

You don’t have to remove BIOS chip with heatgun, you can use SOIC8 test clip cable (or SOIC16 if 16 pins)

I have "PRR2" did you try that one yet? Thanks for PRR
Never mind, I see it’s included in your package too! Did you get text file with description in your download too? if not, here is quote

I can maybe help you remove FPRR in your BIOS, but only in a BIOS you would need to flash or program in, then next time it would not be an issue.
Do you have programmer? If yes, dump BIOS, I’ll see if I can remove for you, then you can program back and retest.

Hey, duo the many PM I recently made a bare updater to other DX58SO board\revision.
The application came totally untested.

How to use.

From the BIOS board menu boot 1 time in UEFI mode and shutdown the board.
With an hardware programmer read the full chip content, drag&drop a copy on the getHEAD program and flash back to the board the output.

Fixes/Features:
Extended the main firmware volume
Updated processor support for 106A4, 106A5, 206C2
Updated ICH RAID Option ROM to version 15.0.0.2371
Added support for NVME
Other dunno

DX58SO from stock 5600 to custom 5600 BIOS update

You mean SPI Programmer is essential.
Dump it by SPI Programmer,and mod it,and Flash it by SPI Programmer too?

@Lost_N_BIOS
I am trying to flash with flashrom in linux,it was said that it could flash just like the spi programmer.

what program software would you be using? I have an identical board id like to try this one. ive got a ch134a programmer. what program tool would you use?

hey man what’s steps did you do? My BIOS doesn’t save settings we have the same board.

@eivrah Mainly perhaps your battery in your mobo ran out,you could change it with a new one.

Already Change it, also whenever I update the BIOS it doesn’t continue it gets an error. Someone told me maybe the SIO chip has the problem.

@eivrah
Could you show the error to us?
And I think you could flash it by recovery mode(release the MFG jumper),it can flash your bios thoroughly.

And no Jumper is there there is also another error that prompted it brick after flashing via recovery mode using F7 method.

This is yet another update to mine DX58SO status.

I’ve found little no time to check on the TRFC issue but after enabling support for higher RAM speed: the missing selectable TRFC range seems just one of many.
Adjusting the maximum TRFC value on the 056E7324-A718-465B-9A84-228F06642B4F GUID from 140 (8C) to 200 (C8) allow the board to boot finally with the manual memory configuration setting turned on.
Since the bios interface is fundamentally broken the memory multiplier must be set on “auto” to always POST.

Yet the board is not able to do any BLCK overclock past pretty much 136 on the X5670 with any bioses release ( tested from 5020 to 5600 ).
So, the INTEL E29331-202 “SO ODM8 config K” DX58SO by default and perhaps the entry DX58SO line is incapable to do any base overclock.

is the DX58SO BIOS soldered to the board? I’m planning to update my non-saving BIOS so I can put Xeon x5675 on it I bought a CH341A with test clip.

@eivrah

It depend by the board configuration/revision mine have the clamshell socket on the SPI flash circuit.
Anyway, make a backup out of it and don’t downgrade the intel bios without an hardware programmer and a fully functional backup.

@noInk I think that’s why my BIOS was not saving settings at all. I downgraded it before. I’ll check mine later.

@eivrah

Just to let you know the X5670 won’t overclock since most of the user setting under MEMORY CONFIGURATION are begin ignored or overwritten with unsupported value by the “workaround” introduced down the line by intel engineering.
Mine “Uncore Multiplier” can go to 9 if hit “Manual - User Defined” when the “Memory Multiplier” is set to “Auto” and the “Uncore Multiplier” is set to 20 …
I don’t even know from where it pulling that number <-<
Anyway, if you have a backup and know how to use the hardware programmer I can look into that.
The board somehow work at stock speed if you don’t touch anything.

Sadly I don’t have any backup. It’s too late maybe? But I bought Ch341A for cheap. My problem is I can’t save settings with my board after downgrading and I can’t update it too. As long as my x5675 will work it will be fine with me, I also have a friend with exact same Chip and he also said the same thing that this board can’t overclock this CPU.

@eivrah

To restore the board from a backup you need to recover the first 7000 byte of your bios chip.
If the board boot to the bios try to change the bios jumper to the recovery position and select the load optimized default option, save and exit.
If your chip is empty or malformed and the board never reach the bios menu, in either mode (NORMAL - CONFIG):
you could use his backup as staring point, some value might need to be changed like the hardware id, mac address, board version etc etc…

@noInk my board can already go to the bios but settings won’t save even a bit, it always stays at default settings, at first I thought it was just a CMOS battery Issue but when I bought new one still the same. I already tried the recovery one position still no luck with the settings. All due to this problem before when I downgrade and upgrade.