[PROBLEM] How to open/modify/flash an Intel mainboard BIOS?

@eivrah

IF you want to reprogram the bios chip you need an hardware programmer and your backup.
If the chip is attached to the board remove any power connector ATX, CPU and the battery, etc etc before attaching the clip on the bios chip.
If you post the backup I can look into and see if something wrong.

@noInk somewhat this is what my flasher read but not sure if it’s complete there’s an error.
Update: this is 2nd read.

DX58SO_BACKUP.zip (896 KB)

DX58SO_BACKUP2.zip (1.28 MB)

@eivrah

Notice the 0-3000 area on your backup is empty. That data cannot be recovered once you flash any of the below file.
The board was downgraded to 4196 bios.

This one is your bios fixed.

Flash the binary with an hardware programmer.
Boot on with the jumper set to CONFIG save optimized default, exit and update to 5600.
Intel is gonna remove the 5600 bios link download 22 November, nothing changed, but you should be able to save the configuration from now on.

This one is your BIOS fixed with any update I made on mine board.

Flash it with an hardware programmer to get bios 5600, NVME support while in UEFI mode, updated microcode to 1F, TRFC changes etc,etc…
Boot on with the jumper set to CONFIG, save optimized default, exit.

Yes 0-3000 was empty.
Should I flash first the fixed or I can flash the 2nd file directly?

@eivrah

If you want 5600 with NVME support the second, if you want stock intel bios previously running on your board the first.

@noInk I still got empty lines flashing the first file flashing the 2nd file gives me no display on boot.

@eivrah

Does the second one doesn’t boot even with the bios jumper set on CONFIG or after 3 failed attempt with the jumper on NORMAL? and the first does boot? if the first does just use it to flash stock 5600

@noInk yes both of the files doesn’t boot in normal jumper or in config for some reason only the 4196 version boots up. This one.

DX58SO_4196.zip (896 KB)

@eivrah

This file will fill the 0-3000 data and change the hardware status. You must run recovery with the jumper at least one time after the flashing.
If it doesn’t work and your board doesn’t have the jumper soldered nearby the ATX connector like in the following photo:

I’m not gonna tell you to use a graphite pencil for bridge the connection like in [PROBLEM] How to mod an Intel mainboard BIOS? (14)

Yea, anything below 5020 fock up the board once updated and then downgraded.
You must force the board in recovery or else the NVRAM won’t get updated.

Dunno try to change the BCLK ( should be pretty easy… ) till it doesn’t boot and move the BIOS jumper to CONFIG.
If you enter, make it bootable and HIT F7 till the the bios recovery update pop up and reflash the 4196 or try the next original sequential update.

These are variant without the NVRAM.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=downl…02xR6OEsPHYE4xk

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=downl…jHrJ6LOfeVdEhi8

On 4196 that CPU is not truly supported the updater crashed halfway and the bios is not getting done.

The 1st file did the trick I can now save the settings and It’s on 5600!

@eivrah

YEa, but you are now SOL on the unrecoverable side! :stuck_out_tongue:
If that’s the 0-3000 filled, you got NVME, spectre/meltdown microcode along and other stuff, but I’m unable yet to get the overclocking done since the user menu is borked by intel.

I’ll test it later with my x5675 I was still using the i7-950 earlier. And they will fully stop supporting this board after Nov 22, including the BIOS files will be deleted LMAO.

@eivrah

They are crazy in cutting losses and didn’t even made the board fully functional in what? 14 year…
Also, nobody said something at their hardware during the support stage?!!!
this is the first x58 board unable to go past 133MHZ easy! History will check on!

For some reason my x5675 doesn’t display, maybe it was broken all along.

Yeah it’s a shame Intel had the worst x58 board only the UEFI support is good on this board.
Thanks @noInk

@eivrah

Mine board (202) to display with the x5670 require those J55EV and J54EV jumper set on the non-default position (see the previous post photo)
All the change I’ve made are based upon that, just in case you could try to side-update to the original 5600 and if still no output is displayed but NVME is required flash back the one you found to be working.
Those jumper can be found nearby the ATX power connector side, if none can be found ( just the diagram/traces are visible ) maybe your revision (501) could be hardwired ( bridged pin on the other side of the board ) to the default position.
Can’t help on that ( could be switched perhaps via software, but I have no clue and it’s too dangerous to try @ home ). So, finding some other working DX58SO condition bios backup might also help.
Should be anyway, if truly required… pretty easy with the proper equipment… to install some steel pin to get those jumper in the position required.

@noInk is it permanently required to do so? my board doesn’t have thos pins but have the circuit on board just no soldered pins, maybe I could try soldering some pins, does it require to be permanent?

@eivrah

Mine board work only in that way, those jumper must be set manually with the default position for the i7 to display and non-default on X5.
Perhaps the revision ending with 50[1] are by default compatible just with the i7, or another type of hardware initialization is required.
if you have a working backup I could look into that, else yep: those jumper are required permanently in position during the operation to get the X5 series on.
Again, know that installing those steel pin require no play and proper equipment.

Also, the “readable” configuration of 0-3000

PCH straps: 1
PROC straps: 1

GbE region offset: 1000h
BIOS region offset: 3000h
Region access settings:
BIOS: 0Bh 0Ah
ME: 0Dh 0Ch
GbE: 08h 08h
BIOS access table:
Read Write
Desc Yes No
BIOS Yes Yes
ME No No
GbE Yes Yes
PDR No No
Flash chips in VSCC table:
C22015 (Macronix MX25L16)
1F4600 (Atmel AT26DF161)
EF3015 (Winbond W25X16)
898911 (Intel 25F160S33B8)
BF2541 (Microchip SST25VF016B)

MAC: 70:71:BC:76:BE:A5

If you have your original MAC address and want it, lemme know or change it your self, the GbE region is @ offset: 1000h

@noInk
I don’t have a working backup for my board though, could I readback now? or it will just output the same as what you gave?

Thinking of soldering copper wire to this part. Hmm

@eivrah
You need a straight male single row header for PCB ( male to male steel/copper pin connector type) a desoldering pump, some flux and soldering skill.
Or someone fast and capable to solder 3 male pin on the J55EV and 3 male pin on the J54EV pin without damaging the circuit or surrounding, so, see someone nearby it’s five minute job.
If you never did, but you want to do it yourself: it would better to watch some how-to and practice at least for few day on some dead hardware first… be careful with the capacitor nearby.
See something on “how to solder header PCB pins” line.

If you flashed any file with the programmer, there no backup other then the one you posted.

@noInk I can solder but not highly skilled I’ll try it on Monday I’ll find some pins first will let you know how it will turn out. Are the pins safe even in wrong positioning? and what are the main position standard and non standard?